cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV extreme board + i7-2600k + new GTX 780; what bios is needed?

Silmvb
Level 7
Fellow ROG users, I have a Maximus IV extreme board, and an i7-2600k running @4.8 Ghrz.
My Bios version is from early release (version 1204 release date 03/02/2011), and as always I followed my rule of thumb, if its stable do not mess with it.

Well my GTX 780 card is arriving and I would like to know which BIOS version I should update to? As it seems the card will require a more up to date bios version. What is the best way to flash the bios? And Should I flash in a certain order?

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello

What I would do is first wait for the card, and simply fit the card and power on. If all works then you know you do not have to do anything. The special bios thing is mainly if you are going to Windows8 and wish to use some of the UEFI features specific with that OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you for the awnser. My apologies for the same question in 2 threads but I was not sure whether I should have asked my question on the motherboard forums or on the GPU forums.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries mate, how did it go?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Silmvb
Level 7
I will receive the card tomorrow and I will try it out and keep you posted. Even if it works out of the box, is there any advantage to be gained by updating my motherboard bios?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not that I can see right now. There were heaps and heaps of problems for users of SB processors when the three series bios came out so I would rather flash bios as a last resort if you have issues.

Silmvb
Level 7
It worked straight out of the box. Thanks for all the help! And Keep making the best motherboards in the world, nothing but excellence to be able to install a new GPU on a 2 year old bios.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Outstanding my friend and I am pleased that things went as smoothly as they did. You enjoy your system.

Motion2082
Level 7
Having so many issues with 3603 on Windows 8.1 64bit

0403 was stable and I could OC my board to 4.8GHz

Might have to revert back to previous version

Motion2082
Level 7
Ok managed to get OC working on 3603, applied more thermal paste to CPU and use 4.6 present in BIOS.