cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Temperature Sensor difference and Fan Xpert 2

rogforum
Level 7
I have a problem with the temperature the Asus Hero reports and uses in Fan Xpert 2. This temperature is between 10° and 30° celcius below the temperature the CPU itself reports. I've used HWinfo64, HwMonitor, RealTemp, OCCT. All of these report way higher temps. HWinfo64 can read a "Nuvoton" sensor, too. Since that temp is identical to the temp in AI Suite, I figure the mainboard uses this Nuvoton sensor.

I have the newest bios and AI Suite installed.

What good is using AI Suite 3 and Fan Xpert 2 to control your cpu_fan, if the temperature the mainboard uses is way too low?
I tried to make a curve that takes this into account, but it's really not working well. This is due to the fact that in idle the temp is 10°C too low, but under stress it's more like 30°C.

Is this going to be fixed in a Bios Update or an AI Suite update?
How do I deal with this until then?

PS:
I do not want to buy an external fan controller, because I need a PWM control to regulate my Swiftech H320 pump (and all the fans using the Swiftech PWM splitter).
5 REPLIES 5

Abula
Level 9
The behavior your describing, is not a mistake or error, its the way "ASUS" design AI Suite III, the temp is based in a bunch of calculations and sensors.... which at the end doesnt match any other probe, just they way they do it.

But having mulitple breakpoint you can adapt it by creating your own fan curve. Get multiple reading, maybe 10C appart like 30C, 40C, 50C, and create you own fan curve with the different rpms.

Another option is to go on pure bios, uninstall AI Suite III and check the bios for fan control, there are mulitple profiles and on manual the minimum is 40%, and silent profile is 30% (not diaplayed just tested by me and compared to fanXpert2 curve). There are two more predefined profiles test them see if one fits what you want.

If none of the above are good enough for you, I would looks elsewhere, the odds of ASUS changing how AI Suite works are very slim, as its not a mistake is just the way they say you get a better reading of the CPU temp. Look into other brand of motherboards, MSI and AsRock have pretty decent Bios fan control, and they come with 2 PWM fan headers and both are independently controllable (thats if your fans and pump are PWM).

But having mulitple breakpoint you can adapt it by creating your own fan curve. Get multiple reading, maybe 10C appart like 30C, 40C, 50C, and create you own fan curve with the different rpms.

Using which temperature? The Asus one or one of the others?
I mean seriously, when I run Prime for heat the Asus temp stays around 40°C. No need to worry, right? Even still room to OC, right? Well, guess what, when the Asus temp is above 40, all the other programs are warning me about temperature going above 70°C. It's like the Asus sensor is stuck between 30 and 45. When the other programs move beyond 60, the Asus temp sticks around 40+. So you have to understand, there's not only a simple 10° difference, but the temp difference increases with rising temp.

I'm stunned - how can this be by design? Common sense says I should ramp up pump and fan speed before I reach 70°C. Yet, sticking to Asus temps, I'd run pumps and fans between 10% and 40% and never see a need to go above that. Thinking: wow great, my temps stay below 50°....

Ruttiger343
Level 7
I agree with you - whilst the AI Suite 3 software looks pretty and shiny, I'm not entirely convinced that its temperature reporting is accurate.

I use RealTemp and AIDA64. With my system at idle (just running Windows 8.1 and some background programs like Steam etc and Norton 360), both programs report the temperate is around 40°C, whereas AI Suite 3 would typically report the temperature as at least 5°C lower. I guess thsi was one reason why I fried my last CPU because I was under the misrepresentation that things were quiet, so I also (ironically) used Fan Xpert 2 to turn down my fan speeds to less than 1000 rpm.

So, after spending more $$$ to replace my brandnew i-7 4770K CPU, now I just leave all the fans on full blast (other than the top chasis fan) to make sure my CPU consistently stays around 40°C and idle, and not more than 60°C when running games.

Hope this helps.

rogforum
Level 7
the odds of ASUS changing how AI Suite works are very slim, as its not a mistake is just the way they say you get a better reading of the CPU temp.

So, after spending more $$$ to replace my brandnew i-7 4770K CPU, now I just leave all the fans on full blast (other than the top chasis fan) to make sure my CPU consistently stays around 40°C and idle, and not more than 60°C when running games.

So Asus keeps the AI Suite and the temp sensors configured in a way that tends to burn the user's CPU. Awesome. I think when it's time to get a new PC I won't buy a Asus board again...

Ruttiger343
Level 7
To be fair for my last rig (i-7 2600, no OC), I used an ASUS Sabertooth motherboard and even just the stock Intel CPU fan, and things worked like a charm. So you're right - it could just be AI Suite and the temp sensors. Perhaps another MB is fine.

But of course it is always good to try new things.