cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which laptop to purchase?

MusTard
Level 7
Hello, I registered to these forums just now because I am in a dilema. I will be buying one of ASUS ROG laptops and I need some advice. I need basically a desktop replacement with 17 inch display, I DON'T need long batery life because it will mainly be pluged in when used, I don't care about weight/size because again this will be desktop replacement and heavily used.

I would rather get a model with a single graphic card (not a big fan of optimus dual graphics) and without that fancy 3D display.

Main reason why I am getting laptop instead of desktop PC is because I travel alot because of university so I basically just need it to be portable enough to bring it with me and use pluged in as a desktop PC.

My budget is 2000 $.

A few questions for you guys : - can ROG laptops be used pretty much all the time, including playing heavy games like arma 3?

- how long do they last (years)? considering I will not run games on highest possible settings but medium-high as I am not that of an eye-candy type of gamer, I prefer FPS and preformance

-are there any differences in preformance in using 15 or 17 inch display? will 17 inch be more heavy on graphic card?

So in other words... I need a laptop that will be used heavily for a long periods of time, I don't want dual grapics and 3D display, I don't need high battery life, I basically need a desktop replacement with high gaming capabilities for 2000$, help me decide, thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Woofyhugger
Level 7
Go for one of the Asus ROG G750s. They are pretty beefy and a great desktop replacement designed for heavy gaming.

To answer your questions.. yes, they can be used to pretty much play heavy games all the time. They are sold as gaming laptops and being so damned huge and beastly, they are desktop replacements. Mine are.

They last as long as you care for them well. There is an old G73 in my household still powering on without a hiccup and it's quite a few years old. I actually still have an old asus F3 still going strong back from 2008/09. Look after it, clean it, don't use it as a frisbee and it will be fine.

The size of the screen won't affect the graphics card/performance at all, so it doesn't matter if you get a 15" or 17".. performance is based on cpu/gpu/ram/hard drive speed etc.
G750JH-T4074H i7-4700HQ, 32GB, 512GB SSD + 1TB , GTX780M-4GB
G75VW-T1013V
G74SX

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome to ROG MusTard ..
If your plugged in, the 17in is the way to go.imho
The graphix card runs with it plugged in.
Since the G750's are new, how can we say how many 'years'?
A quick search will find however that G53's, G60's, G74's are out there
runn'n all over the World.
Heavy gaming is what it is built for. So Yes to that.
How high the settings depends on the model .. which brings us to 'where are you'?
Here is NewEgg.com as a reference point ..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%2050001315%20600003982%2060000...
You can see that the top shelf is $2300 .. there is quite a drop from there to the next.
I personally would go the few extra over your budget .. all the way. 780,ssd, upgraded memory .. ect.
*I think this one is the pick of the litter for the money .. just ad a SSD with the money you save.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231333
Best of Luck. c.

MusTard
Level 7
Cheers guys, could you recommend a speciffic model of g750's series with specifications I listed above?

iweber95
Level 7
G750JX Has 770m graphics 17in non 3d display and 16+GB of RAM also can come with SSD pre installed for under 2k$
ASUS G750JX
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ @ 3.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M @ 932Mhz
RAM: 16GB
Memory: 1TB + 256GB SSD

Flea0
Level 10
I would strongly recommend the 3D screen because of it's brightness, good contrast and 120 Hz. Also, absolutely go for a high-end SSD for the OS.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

More info,

I've had mines for about a week and its eating up almost any game I throw at it. I haven't tried the major games like BF4 or anything like that yet. However SC2, League of Legends, Diablo 3, Most Stream games are good. You should google the Benchmark for the Nvidia GTX 770M which is roughly comparable to the performance of the actually gameplay.
ASUS ROG G750JX-RB71 | Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz | 12GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 770M | 750GB Harddrive | Sudden Attack North America Player (SANA) | Starcraft 2 Custom Game Player | Diablo 3 | Steam User | League of Legends (Under lvl 30 atm) | Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japanese Ver.) | OPEN TO TRY NEW GAMES EVERYDAY

wanderlust - a strong desire to travel to anywhere to any places.

Wanderlust
Level 7
Hey MusTard,

Your not the only one who was new to the ASUS ROG Community. I've just bought mine last week (hence my signature showing all the default configuration that came with ASUS G750JX-RB71)

What I would do since your budget is just $2000 is buy the Asus G750JX (any model is fine, but since you said no 3D screen avoid that, unless if you take ASUS ROG User Flea0 recommendation) and configure with a new SSD. Entirely up to you but everything fits under 2 grand for that ASUS G750JX.

Unless if you can find a quick google where the ASUS G750JH is tightly on your budget and of these 3 model are good.
ASUS ROG G750JX-RB71 | Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz | 12GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 770M | 750GB Harddrive | Sudden Attack North America Player (SANA) | Starcraft 2 Custom Game Player | Diablo 3 | Steam User | League of Legends (Under lvl 30 atm) | Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japanese Ver.) | OPEN TO TRY NEW GAMES EVERYDAY

wanderlust - a strong desire to travel to anywhere to any places.

MusTard
Level 7
Hey thanks all for the replies!

About 3D displays... what is the refresh rate of non-3D display (i am guessing 75 Hz) and what is the price difference between 3D and regular display, also can you "turn off" 3D on 3D display so it acts like regular one?

Thanks once again!