cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g74sx trackpad troubles

Cail
Level 7
So I recently got a g74sx-a1 and am loving it for the most part so far. The one significant trouble I am having is with regards to the trackpad. Sometimes it seems to work well but other times I have trouble with the cursor jumping around. This takes the form of two specific actions:

1. When moving the cursor horizontally as my finger gets closer to the outside edges of the pad the cursor has a tendency to jump back about halfway across the screen.

2. When moving the cursor vertically as my finger reaches a spot in the middle of the trackpad the cursor will jump up or down (the direction my finger is moving) by a couple of inches on the screen at one point.

Edit: I forgot to mention here that sometimes the trackpad behaves as though I have two fingers on when I clearly am only touching the pad with one finger andnothing else.

Things I have tried:
1. Updated to the newest BIOS
2. Updated the trackpad drivers
3. Played around with cursor speed, gestures, etc.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have also tried cleaning the trackpad thoroughly.

None of these have had much effect. My primary concern is whether there is a problem with the software or if, perhaps, my trackpad is defective in which case I should contact tech support.

Thanks for any ideas you might have!
12 REPLIES 12

Chastity
Level 10
Do you have a Synaptic or Sentelic?
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Cail
Level 7
It is a Sentelic. I have notices some small strangeness with this.

When I reinstalled the ATK and touchpad driver it seemed to work well again but the behavior seems to come and go. Beginning to think that, perhaps, there is some bugginess in the Sentellic driver.

On a side note, I wish the drivers were a bit more customizeable.

Chastity
Level 10
Sounds more like the tape crap again. 😞

Retired
Not applicable
are there any fixes for this? I'm very happy with my machine but the trackpad is close to useless. by looking at the "finger sensing pad" tray icon, i randomly indicates that I am using two fingers which makes no sense. I keep wiping it and wiping up but it doesn't seem to help. what seems to help is if my finger is damp with water. but it's still buggy after that.

i really hope i didn't get a faulty trackpad, i brought my laptop home from the US and won't be able to send it back... i'm very willing to do operations on it if i have to adjust anything physically etc. 😞 chastityyyyyyy

Chastity
Level 10
I can only suggest to you what I have written many many many many times:

Adjust your sensitivity settings. This is crucial to having an accurate touchpad. Most people never touch the settings, and never explore the device options.

I also just rec'd G74SX w/ Sentlic pad. Often just approaching pad with heel of hand or hovering jumps or de-highlights. I've cleaned pad several times and double-checked to be sure I'm updated on pad and asus drivers. Same jitter problem. I can't see any sensitivity adjustment (found gestures, tap toggles, etc., but not sensitivity). Am I missing something? How is sensitivity adjusted or is there another solution?

jsmith1642 wrote:
I also just rec'd G74SX w/ Sentlic pad. Often just approaching pad with heel of hand or hovering jumps or de-highlights. I've cleaned pad several times and double-checked to be sure I'm updated on pad and asus drivers. Same jitter problem. I can't see any sensitivity adjustment (found gestures, tap toggles, etc., but not sensitivity). Am I missing something? How is sensitivity adjusted or is there another solution?

The best you can do, via software, is to make sure "Disable while typing" is engaged and the reactivation time is 1.5 or more, if you're using the original driver (9.1.3.5). When you say you've cleaned it, what exactly do you mean?

Cleaned the Pad to make sure all gunk in off.

Do you mean the back of the touchpad? And does "gunk" mean you removed the insulating foam and the grounding tape? Your description still isn't very clear.