cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 crashing?

Xaero
Level 8
So I just updated to Windows 8.1. I also updated my Radeon drivers after. While dual boxing in a game and surfing the internet I got the blue screen of death (IRQ not equal error). So I am guessing I am now on another wide goose driver chase. Last time, over a year ago, it was the Intel network drivers listed on the Asus page. Now... what could it be? Asus's downloads website is still terrible for drivers and lists the wrong drivers for Windows 8.1 64 bit!
50 REPLIES 50

AuraofVengeance
Level 7
When i first upgraded I had 1 or 2 crashes that came back with a driver_power_state_failure. Most of the time though, I was having system hangs that would last about 3 minutes and when the system resumed I was hearing the usb connect / disconnect sound. I'm assuming some of the changes to USB screwed a few things up and I have to wait for updated drivers.

I did manage to get my system stable again by disabling power management on all USB root hubs. Not sure if your problem is similar at all but worked for me.

I also noticed that the nic drivers listed now are labeled as realtek instead of intel so i stayed clear of them.

sectionate
Level 12
8.1 was just released,so drivers will be.. nevermind
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

So... Posting from my phone.

I crashed again. This time all my USB devices decided to not work when Windows booted up. Took about 5 reboots to work. I will try what the above poster said about the USB hubs. Right now I am doing a memtest to make sure my memory is fine.

At first I was thinking my video card was going out. I had "video driver stopped responding" errors. Then my new monitor started acting funny. Now two blue screens later I am still not convinced the card is the problem. I guess I will see what happens.

Still crashing. Memory test found nothing. Diabled power management on all USB hubs. Reinstalled G15 and Razor mouse drivers (still comes up as HID devices which according to other forums causes problems. Their fixes didn't help (change from HID keyboard to HID device) as I couldn't type on keyboard. I do see some Intel NIC issues pop up with Google searches. So this may be the first problem I ever had rearing itself again: faulty Intel NIC drivers... now to hunt the latest driver, again.

Trying the 18.7 version of the Intel GB NIC drivers to see if it fixes it. It's like a bad acid flashback. The auto-detect for Intel network drivers still crashes the computer.

File name:
PROWinx64.exe
Version:18.7
Download
Date:09/27/2013 Status:Latest
Size:32.49 MB Language:English
Operating Systems:Windows 8*, Windows 8, 64-bit*

Edit1: So the above would not install. It said I did not have an Intel network card. So I had to force feed the 82579V driver (closest to what Windows had installed, 82583V) and then I was able to run that Intel program. It didn't change the driver to anything else outside what I force fed to it. Anyone here know what the exact proper driver should be? I pulled it from: \PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS64 - There are two more folders in there but Windows tells me they are not compatible with 64 bit windows.

It remains to be seen if this fixes my crashes.

Xaero
Level 8
No crashing as of yet. That driver a good or bad idea?

Edit: Bluescreen, same crash (IRQ not equal). I did plug up my second monitor again and while playing a game (Darkfall) tried to play a YouTube video on the second monitor. The instant it started boom, crash.

I know most of us are quite savvy with computers. However it is easy to miss the simple stuff. Have you done any malware checks? That sounds similar to a browser hijack. Maybe something changed your executable for the game.

Fred1976 wrote:
I know most of us are quite savvy with computers. However it is easy to miss the simple stuff. Have you done any malware checks? That sounds similar to a browser hijack. Maybe something changed your executable for the game.

I checked for malware and nothing was found.

After the crash last night I tried to make the PC crash to see if I could find a more specific thing causing it. I couldn't get it to crash again. I only tried two things: 3DMark 11 tests and then running 8 torrents at the same time as HD YouTube videos.

I was able to play YouTube videos and Darkfall the rest of the night too.

The game I was playing was Darkfall Unholy Wars. It is one of three common factors (Darkfall, Mumble running, YouTube video starting).

AuraofVengeance
Level 7
I've still only had one more crash after disabling power management on usb hubs. This time it was back to an actual crash with a driver power state failure. Overall the system has been much more stable without really doing a whole lot to it. still waiting to see more people report 8.1 issues around the net and look for driver updates 😕

I went through and uninstalled and reinstalled all my programs and games (some programs I left uninstalled). Then I got the chipset drivers directly from AMD and installed them. I have only had 1 crash since. Better than "every single time".