cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX BSOD problem. HELP! KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. [Solved]

MichaelWalker
Level 7
Edit by cl-Albert: For those interested in a summary uninstalling the ASUS ROG gaming mouse driver solved the problem (for troubleshooting verification), and installing a newer updated ROG gaming mouse driver. Thanks to Maxter and MichaelWalker in finding the solution and to shank for helping to verify it.

Another thread below related to the gaming mouse driver if anyone is interested, but some customers have reported removing the gaming mouse driver did not help them too.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45718-Upgrade-to-windows-8.1-and-BSOD-KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_H...

MichaelWalker wrote:
Hi , Im new to ASUS and a not-so-good when it comes to computer specs.
I just bought G750X 2days ago and have experience BSOD TWICE. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.
Both experienced it in Dota 2 and WoW . It was really pretty smooth sailing with the high end graphics and stuff but it just pop up BSOD out of nowhere!
Any help is appreciated thanks!

Maxter wrote:
SOLVED! BTW, I don't know if you noticed, but you and I were the first ones to solve this issue. There are several posts with this same issue on the forums going around... Maybe a sticky of this would be nice (admin?), since it has all the steps it took to solve the issue.

Hello Maxter. I'm really stunned that so many people here experienced the same issue as mine!

Just to clarify the ASUS users who stumped upon this thread.. do kindly read through the discussion between Maxter and I just in case you guys experienced the exact problem I faced when I first got my laptop.

Heres a Summary in case you're lazy to flip through
yansendjohan, shank, FyperX, FalconFX,littletyran apparently had it solved in the same way.

My original problem
(Trust me, I panicked like mad when I start experiencing all these problems)

I first bought the laptop and it crashed within a day. I thought it was the RAM or Graphic card problem as it BSOD only during gameplay. Apparently after sending it back to the retailer to exchange a brand new one, this time it crash when I run CCleaner.
Send it back second time to the retailer, exchanged for a new one again, it crashed again.
Decided to send to ASUS for warranty and yet the technician told me NO ISSUES. Here I am, stuck again with my repeated crashes.
Maxter chance upon my thread and decided to offer me some advice + abit of researching on my part and we finally solved it.

Heres a rough step-by-step on how I manage to solve it with Maxter's help

Firstly, ensure you downloaded and updated every single driver in your brand new laptop.

Secondly, check the drivers. Because chances are some drivers are either too new or incompatible with the current software, such as NVIDIA beta drivers(trust me my laptop is working fine now and the beta driver crash my game once I had to reinstall the whole driver)
Quoted from Maxter
"I activated the driver verifier from Win 7 (which is also on Win 8 - here's a link with more info on that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617). I started the computer and it told me that nVidia drivers were crashing. What I did was to go into "device manager" and uninstall the Display Adapter for my GPU, then I went to "Programs and Features" and uninstalled manually everything related to nVidia. Then I went through the hard drive and deleted all nVidia files and folders left (usually in C:\). I also ran a CCleaner to remove all registry keys for nVidia. Then I rebooted. The computer installed a generic driver. I re-downloaded the latest nVidia drivers and only installed what I knew I needed (I excluded GeForce Experience - it seems to be causing BSOD in several systems from what I saw on several forums). I have been running some stability tests for 24 hours and seems stable. Since you only get this during gaming, my first assumption would be misgandling of the GPU drivers... try what I did and see what happens."

Thirdly, after all has been done and if still BSOD comes out, download whocrashed as it gives you a DETAILED rundown of the problem compared to bluescreenviewer.
Quoted from Maxter
"Download and use "whocrashed" to get a better idea of the information in the dump file (much better than Bluescreenview). Here's the link http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe "

Fourth, start analyzing it.
This was my problem and I notice one of the users had the exact same problem as mine.

Maxter apparently had faced the same problem as well for the Kernel System
"Looking at that pic, seems like ntoskrnl.exe is the one at fault - I think because of Driver mishandling. Believe it or not, I was having this same crash this weekend while playing League of Legend on my desktop. Usually this cause of crash seems to be because of overclocked CPU, GPU, or memory. Since your computer is right out of the box, I'm assuming CPU, GPU and memory clocks are at default." This is in turn, linked to NVIDIA. After doing all the necessity with reference to the Second step, I run whocrashed again and it eliminated the Kernel problem.
For the athw8x.sys problem, the original driver was missing from my laptop(I've no idea why) and I went to search online to manually install the driver after flipping the ASUS driver website inside out http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1 and it was solved
Which left us with the most puzzling one. pxgx112.sys . <-- This is the main cause why the new laptops are CRASHING repeatedly despite running tons of updates, scan and stuff. After searching far and wide over the net I traced it back to our ROG mouse.There is an issue with our ROG mouse/gaming driver. If you had visited http://www.asus.com/Keyboards_Mice/GX850/#support and download this driver, you will realize you now had TWO ROG ASUS mouse driver. Apparently the default one present in our laptop is FAULTY. When you opened both and compared it side by side, even the version stated is quite different(this was an issue last year, I didn't took a screenshot of it), so I uninstalled the default ROG driver and used the one I downloaded from Asus web and my laptop has found peace ever since 😄

I hope I can be of help to the new users whos struggling and panicking/worrying like how I used to. I really thanked the forum users in this community in particular to Maxter due to his active and consistent reply to help me solve this issue. Its a really friendly and great community to be part of. My laptop has never faced an issue ever since then. Its been a good 11months for now. Cheers and enjoy your new gaming com!
43 REPLIES 43

Maxter
Level 9
Could be hardware/driver issues. Since you just got this laptop, do a full recovery (re-installing everything), then update all drivers from the ASUS website. If problem persists, you might want to get an RMA... might have a hardware issue.

MichaelWalker
Level 7
Hi, I have already did a 1-to-1 exchange new laptop,
but apparantly i still get BSOD when playing WoW. I believe its definitely a driver issue.
Do you recommend any utility that i can check for updates? I don't trust the asus website as I did install from the website but it still prompt me the same update

Maxter
Level 9
Are you playing on battery mode? or plugged in? Things to make sure they are up to date are BIOS, GPU drivers and sound drivers. Make sure your BIOS is up to date, go to the ASUS website for them (I think the latest is 208 - you can check what you have by pressing WINDOW+R and typing "dxdiag" without the quotes. On the list, you'll see BIOS and it'll tell you what you have. If you must update, don't use the winflash software. On one of the stickies in this forum it tells you more about this. I get the video drivers straight from the nVidia website (www.geforce.com); don't bother getting the ones from asus.com. The sound drivers, you can get from the asus website (if you want to keep the ROG skin, asus just released a new version last month, so they are somewhat up to date). Otherwise, I get mine from realtek.com (this way they are fully up to date - but you lose the ROG skin, still works as it should). I wouldn't use a "utility" for downloading updates. Doing everything manually is always better (this way you know what you are updating). In other words, forget about the asus update utility. It always wants to install all this crap you don't need... (unless what I call crap is useful to you, then you could use it)

MichaelWalker
Level 7
Hi Maxer,really appreciate your effort and advices. Yesterday I spend three hours troubleshooting but to no avail. This morning I did a full reset and currently it's installing windows update. I have surf a few gaming forums and not sure if the latest NVIDIA R331 could be the cause. My bro owns a new ASUS S series , install everything like I did but got no problem with it. Really makes me frustrated. I will heed your advice and visit the main pages to update the systems, will check out the sticky forum as well , winsflash prompt me the ASUS BIOs 208 is outdated then my laptop version which is retarded.
I hope tonight this issue can be solved 😕

I run in Power4Gear high performance sometimes plugged in, sometimes on Batt. I tried entering the BIOS system upon booting up by pressing ALT+f9 but fail as well. Man, why does it seems like I'm the only one getting this issue:/

MichaelWalker
Level 7
I reset everything again and all was smooth sailing till I run this app CCleaner. It hang at scanning Nvidia file and the next thing I know my laptop BSOD. And it become super laggy I have to refresh my laptop again. I actually check all my drivers using iobit app and everything was up to date... Sigh

Maxter
Level 9
Interesting.... I use CCleaner every week with Defraggler. Since CCleaner removes unused registry options, I recommend you never use it after performing install/update. Do your installs/updates, then restart computer at least once, but twice to be sure all is in place, then run CCleaner (once all patches have been placed correctly in the computer). I've had the issue before of doing CCleaner after an install that required a reboot and I FFFF'ed everything up (BSOD and crashes). I run P4G as well in battery saving/performance, during battery or plugged as needed. Did you install the new version of it? I know the original one that comes with the laptop came with issues. Also, if you update the BIOS to the new one, do it through BIOS, not with winflash (it's a pos app). To enter the BIOS you need to do it before the ROG symbol appears. If you see the ROG symbol, it's too late. I have had it work with F10 or the DELETE button (you might try F2 if neither of these work). So as soon as you press the power button, go crazy on one of those buttons. The problem is the fast boot, it makes the whole thing happen way too fast (which is good for the daily user). Once on BIOS, you can also disable the fast boot. You might try doing a restart (fast boot is disabled by default for when you click "restart" on windows).

I run Bluescreenview and this was the error. any idea how to solve? apparently it leads to the Kernel

It was running smoothly till this morning it give me a BSOD during WoW. I run whocrashed as you suggest and got these two driver problems. I have updated the Wireless but the 2nd issue pxgx112.sys its link to my ASUS ROG gaming mouse. I cannot find the driver anywhere on the net!