cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with fn - buttons and touchpad [solved]

Kecken
Level 7
Hi,

i recently bought a g750jw laptop, which was working perfectly fine in the beginning. But now i have several problems:

1) The fn-buttons for controlling the keyboard-backlights don't work anymore. The backlight turns on when booting the laptop, but i can not change the intensity or switch it on or off with f3 / f4.

2) The fn + f9 button for turning on / off the touchpad don't work anymore. I installed the latest ATK-package, but it also doesn't take effect. For now i turn it on and off in BIOS, which really sucks.

3) Even if i have turned on the touchpad, the cursor jumps around and windows are closing, minimizing etc.

All other fn-buttons are working fine. I searched the forum for solutions, but i couldn't repair it. The backlight error is just annoying, but the touchpad problem is really bad.

If there is someone with a suggestion i would be really happy to get your help!

Thanks and greetings 🙂
14 REPLIES 14

Randomname
Level 8
Are you using it with Windows 8 or with Windows 8.1
If you are using it with Windows 8 did it come preinstalled?
I'm thinking maybe that you are using it with Windows 8.1 and the drivers are from Windows 8.
Maybe that's the problem, I'm suggesting it because I have this annoying pop-up to install Windows 8.1...

Hope it helps
ASUS G750JH-T4086D
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ@ 2.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M
RAM: 16GB
Memory: 1TB + 250GB SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB)
Display: Anti-Glare (yup, I'm bragging about it :P)

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think so, if in win 8, you can restore OS and install new ATK driver as 1.0.0030 and touchpad driver as 11.5.9.1, but win 8.1 only WLAB and Bluetooth, some of driver have not release it.

I bought G750JX 2 days ago.
Win8 was preinstalled, I installed 8.1.
I have a similar problem, when I put a finger on touchpad it goes "wild", jumps all over the screen and turns on left or right touchpad button.
This doesn't happen all the time so I'm not sure if it's hardware or software problem (maybe this happens when G750 gets warm).
If it's a known hardware problem, I would like to know it ASAP because here I can replace faulty product 7 days after purchase.
After that, I have to send it for repairment.

Thanks,
Alan

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Studio 45 wrote:
I bought G750JX 2 days ago.
Win8 was preinstalled, I installed 8.1.
I have a similar problem, when I put a finger on touchpad it goes "wild", jumps all over the screen and turns on left or right touchpad button.
This doesn't happen all the time so I'm not sure if it's hardware or software problem (maybe this happens when G750 gets warm).
If it's a known hardware problem, I would like to know it ASAP because here I can replace faulty product 7 days after purchase.
After that, I have to send it for repairment.

Thanks,
Alan

Doesn't sounds like you are having problems with the touchpad 'edge gestures', but if necessary, check this sticky thread about disabling them to see if it makes any difference: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34995-Win8-Games-Minimizing-because-of-touchpad-solved&coun...

Otherwise, if you still have time to get the unit replaced, you may want to try that.

Try uplugging any USB or other devices if you haven't already.
It shouldn't matter if you are using Win8 or Win8.1, but if you don't have anything to lose, you may just want to 'reset'/recover the unit back to Win8 and keep it clean to eliminate any possible software issues (not likely?).

sunseeker69
Level 7
Hello Gent's,

I've a G750JX-T4215H since a week.
I've installed Win 8.1 Pro and I've solved this issue.

You need to install all drivers. You can look at Asus support drivers download. Look at Win 8 64 bits drivers.

1) Install touchpad driver to enable/disable touchpad with fn + f9 (Elantech Touchpad driver)
2) Install ATKACPI driver to control keyboard lightning (ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities)

Maxter
Level 9
It's possible the issue was only solved for the JX version, however... the JW is still missing 8.1 drivers.

cl-Albert
Maxter wrote:
It's possible the issue was only solved for the JX version, however... the JW is still missing 8.1 drivers.

The JX and JW are probably actually using most if not all the same drivers, so don't think there will be any difference between Win8.1 drivers between these 2 models although we may want to check specific drivers and versions if necessary.

Anyway, I've heard Windows may try to install some generic Win8.1 certified drivers when updating to Win8.1 which actually may not always work as well as the ASUS approved Win8 drivers, so this could be a reason reinstalling the ASUS Win8 drivers helps with some issues in Win8.1.

I'll probably need to try to check this later, but if someone can help us keep an eye on the touchpad driver and ATK driver versions before and after updating to Win8.1, it will tell us if this is happening.

Maxter
Level 9
You brought a good point. There was a time a few weeks back where the JX had access to new sound drivers, but this was not posted in the download section for the JW... So I installed the ones from JX and it all ran flawlessly. Maybe OP could check if 8.1 ATK drivers are available in the JW site and install...

cl-Albert
Kecken wrote:
Hi,

i recently bought a g750jw laptop, which was working perfectly fine in the beginning. But now i have several problems:

1) The fn-buttons for controlling the keyboard-backlights don't work anymore. The backlight turns on when booting the laptop, but i can not change the intensity or switch it on or off with f3 / f4.

2) The fn + f9 button for turning on / off the touchpad don't work anymore. I installed the latest ATK-package, but it also doesn't take effect. For now i turn it on and off in BIOS, which really sucks.

Not sure if this customer was even using Win8.1, but if anybody is interested, updated my G750JW last night to Win8.1 and didn't see any problems with the Fn+F3/F4 or Fn+F9 keys.

As far as Win8.1 automatically updating drivers, it didn't change the atk package *.30 version or the ELAN touchpad driver version 11.5.8.3 which were installed before the update, and they are working okay, so hopefully nobody else sees problems.
My software is pretty clean though.