cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install programs to SD card - Transformer Book T100TA Windows 8.1 Tablet

tkolarik
Level 9
My tablet has only 64GB of base memory so I would like to install some programs to my class 10 SD micro card. Some things like Windows Image Backup work but others like Visual Studio don't. Any ideas on how to improve my success installing programs to a memory card? I could even consider the USB drive but that means carrying an extra item.
3 REPLIES 3

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you can save image to SD ro USB who is bootable device.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Move the recovery image, but most things won't install to an SD card to prevent transferring the program around (licensing issues). Also, micro SD cards are insanely slow. You're better off getting one of those micro USB 3.0 dongles (About the size of a mouse transceiver) and plugging that into the USB port.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Almost all application installers will let you specify the install location - often you have to select to do a Custom install (or similar) as opposed to Express (or standard, or similar).

Zygomorphic wrote:
Move the recovery image, but most things won't install to an SD card to prevent transferring the program around (licensing issues). Also, micro SD cards are insanely slow. You're better off getting one of those micro USB 3.0 dongles (About the size of a mouse transceiver) and plugging that into the USB port.

You can get some pretty decent Micro SD cards - the eMMC in the 64GB model is only around 70-80MB/sec in my testing. A 32GB Sandisk Extreme Micro-SD is only £26 and will hit those speeds on sequential writes.

Interestingly I also tried a 32GB T100 and the eMMC in that was a touch quicker - around 105MB/sec on one run. I also got 220MB/sec out of the main USB 3.0 port on the dock with an SSD in a caddy - looks like a need a different adaptor for the Micro-USB as only got 41MB/sec from that