cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme-Z BIOS upgrade problem.

smilepand0ra
Level 7
Hi there,
I am trying to upgrade my mobo's BIOS from 0403 to the latest version which is 3603, I have tried these steps below and it still
shows an error message " Selected file is not a EFI BIOS":

1. format the USB drive to FAT32/FAT.
2. Rename file name to ASUS3603.ROM

Would be great if I can get some help.

Here is my system info:
CPU: i7-2600K
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: dual GTX 680
9 REPLIES 9

chevy350
Level 10
If I'm not mistaken the BIOS should be named Maximus-IV-Extreme-Z-ASUS-3603......at least thats what the one I have saved shows when I extract it to my desktop. I had no issues flashing from 0403 to 3603 but it gets a bit complicated if you ever want to flash back from the 3xxx series bios.
AMD 2700X, Asus ROG Strix X470-F, G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (16gbx2), XFX RX 580, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair 750D, SeaSonic 860W, OCZ RD400, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb, Intel 520 120Gb SSD

thank you for the reply, I have tried keep the name as it extracted, but I still get the error message, O have no idea what was the problem...

Underds
Level 7
Rename should be M4EZ.rom. There's a utility that do that for you on asus support page.

I would personally follow this procedure to flash from 0403 :http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?13928-P67-Z68-32**-Ivy-Bridge-BIOS-Update-procedure&country...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Can you confirm that you are downloading the bios from the Z motherboard page and not the non-z page?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yes, I downloaded the Z BIOS, the .ROM file is named as" Maximus-IV-Extreme-Z-ASUS-3603", I tried without re-naming the file with a FAT32 USB drive, still shows the same error message.

HiVizMan
Level 40
And you have the .rom file is in the root directory. What size is your USB drive? Do you have a small USB drive that you could try with. I assume you have used different USB ports...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yes I have the .ROM file in the root directory and the the utility can recognize it no problem, my USB size is 8GB.

Do I have to use a specific USB ports to process the BIOS upgrade? I am using the USB ports at the top of the mobo's backside.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Use the ROG connect USB port, but yes you should be able to use any of the USB headers.

I wonder if your USB stick is just not compatible. I have seen that a couple of times in the past.

Motion2082
Level 7
Hi Pandora, I had the same problem as you.

Ended up Flashing via Windows.

Worked ok but can no longer OC to 4.8GHz, only 4.6Ghz now .... oh well

My next challenge is to try get FanXpert to Control All Fans, currently I can only control Chassis and CPU Fans via Software