cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No VT-d support for IVB-E on R4E boards

aewne
Level 7
Hi forum,

Just got off the horn with Asus support and they're telling me that there's no support for IOMMU/VT-d (not to be confused with VT-x) on the Rampage IV Extreme boards when using Ivy Bridge-E CPU's. And frankly, I'm a sad panda since I already sold my 3930K.

The following is what Asus support had to say about the matter. I also asked whether Rampage IV Black Edition would support VT-d.
we have had talks with R&D regarding the matter multiple times but i cant say for sure if anything will come out of them. I cant get a clear answer from them.

Users on various other forums can confirm that VT-d is fully functional when using the previous Sandy Bridge-E chips. I just want to put this out there and hopefully pressuring Asus into enabling VT-d in their BIOS for IVB-E chips.

For now, my plans of ditching dual-boot are sort of in limbo.
152 REPLIES 152

HiVizMan
Level 40
Let me push this up to the BIOS engineers for the Rampage boards and see what they have to say. My view was always that it is CPU dependant but hey I do not use that function at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Awesome!

Also, damn that was fast. :cool:

aewne wrote:
damn that was fast.

Should change that to HiWhizMan

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Should change that to HiWhizMan

The prob W/that is here in the USA "taking a whiz" means something that you wouldn't want to be associated with!
Yes, sorry, this is a bit late. I haven't been watching this forum much for months.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL Arne you on form today mate. Must be Friday
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

If the 3930K could do VT-d there is no logical reason the 4930K can't.

The 4930K clearly supports VT-d as referenced by it's ARK page here: http://ark.intel.com/products/77780

If it is not working properly the only entity that can fix it is ASUS.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Yes, I've been waiting too, same deal with R4E and 4930K.
My computer manufacturer (Falcon Computers) worked hard to get me a prerelease bios which I'm trying out, after I've gotten no useful response after talking to ASUS .

I haven't verfied if it actually works yet for vt-d or just pretends, as ASUS bios have had numerous ivrs table problems etc. in the past. I'd attach a copy, but apparently you need special permission by rog for that, as upload attempts are met by "Invalid file", maybe it's too large...4 MB compressed.

Necrosan wrote:

The 4930K clearly supports VT-d as referenced by it's ARK page here: http://ark.intel.com/products/77780

Yep, so does Intel's X79 chipset specification. So I figure somewhere along the road Asus must have deliberately disabled it. No idea as to why though.

mostlyharmless wrote:
I'd attach a copy, but apparently you need special permission by rog for that, as upload attempts are met by "Invalid file", maybe it's too large...4 MB compressed.

Cool, sent you a PM.

mostlyharmless
Level 7
On it's way, let us know how it works