cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My New Build - Matrix R9 280X in Crossfire & intel i7 4770k

Hyper_Droid
Level 8
Well, the time has once again came to pick my next set-up!

Firstly, as we all know, DDR4 RAM is on the way, and hopefully it will arrive by January. I will be getting DDR4 RAM & a motherboard that supports those kind of Dimms.

Now, the thing is, I started getting my build a ready a few weeks ago, and tomorrow (saturday) I was going to buy the ASUS Maximus VI Formula & 16GB of Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) RAM, problem is, I have found-out a few days ago that they will be releasing the next generation of RAM. I noticed that many people agreed that it was best to wait until they release these new components in December 2013/January 2014. So, that's exactly what I will do!

Aswell as this, they also released the RADEON R9 280X. This was an important issue, as I was planning on getting a single, and maybe in the future dual ASUS GTX 680's.

Now, these have added to a list of questions I had, but first, I will show the specifications of my future build:

MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Formula.

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 800D (Please Note: I already have this item, do not suggest other cases)

GPU: Dual Matrix R9 280X in Crossfire.

CPU: Intel i7 4770K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB)

SSD: Intel 120GB 530 Series

Secondary: 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

PSU: Corsair RM750

My Questions Are:

Would I be able to fit Dual Matrix R9 280x's (As they do accupy a lot of space)

Would a 750W PSU be enough for the two Matrix R9 280x, with the i7 Overclocked to hopefully between 4.5 & 4.8GHz and maybe tweaking the GPU slightly (Doubt it)?If not, then please recommend me another PSU that could support these specifications.

Is there any point in going for a WD Caviar Black, or is Caviar Green Very Similar? I do not want any issues with noise.

Also, there's a lot of discussion with which company is better, Western Digital or Barracuda, please give your opinions!

(Staff Only) Any ideas as to how long it would take to release a new Motherboard from ASUS that supports DDR4 RAM?

Just Curious, if I were to choose a single Matrix R9 280x, would it be MORE than enough to display my Triple 24" Display? Please let me know how the frame rate does with the single GPU.

IMPORTANT: This will be my build, meaning I do not want anyone guessing, leading to bad results.

Thank You.

Yours Dearly,

Matthew.
Maximus VI Formula I Intel I7 4770K I Corsair Vengeance 16Gb @1600Mhz I 240 GB Corsair Force GS Series SSD I WD Caviar Black 2TB I Corsair H100i I Seasonic 1250w I Corsair Obsidian 800D I 2x Sapphire R9 290s (2x4GB) in Crossfire I 3x BenQ 2450hm 24" in Eyefinity I Razer Chimaera Headset I Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse I Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard

Youtube: HyperDroids // Instagram: @latesttech4all
16 REPLIES 16

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you want performance with your graphic cards then go for R290X cards. 1080p monitors I assume, then one 290X will be fine due to the difference in performance between it and the 280 which is a re-branded HD7970 basically.

No update as to new motherboard with DDR4 memory at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Well... 2x Matrix R9 280x would be better than a single Superclocked GTX 780, right?

And, would the suggested (1x) R9 290x be better than the (2x) 280x & (1x) GTX 780?

I cannot afford to spend too much money on GPU's, so I plan not to spend exceding amounts of money like 2 GPU's in which they are 500 eur. per GPU.

My plan is to spend a MAXIMUM amount of 650 eur. for the total price in GPU's.

Please note: I wish to use Triple Monitor Display (3x 1080p BenQ GW2450 Monitors), so please recommend the best option in performance overall for this kind of display, and as-well, the best option for a single monitor display, as I may just but a single 30" Monitor...

Also, I still didn't get an answer in: Would the 2x Matrix R9 280x fit in my Obsidian 800D? If not, please recommend alternatives (GPU's). Do not give alternative Cases, as I mentioned before, I already have bought my 800D.

Yours Dearly,

Matthew.
Maximus VI Formula I Intel I7 4770K I Corsair Vengeance 16Gb @1600Mhz I 240 GB Corsair Force GS Series SSD I WD Caviar Black 2TB I Corsair H100i I Seasonic 1250w I Corsair Obsidian 800D I 2x Sapphire R9 290s (2x4GB) in Crossfire I 3x BenQ 2450hm 24" in Eyefinity I Razer Chimaera Headset I Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse I Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard

HiVizMan
Level 40
They would fit no worries mate.

And a single 30" of the same resolution as a 27" will require the same amount of graphic power. It is the total size that will determine how much processing power you need from a VGA perspective.

Right now I am playing with a 780Ti and R290X what I can tell you is that the R290x performs better for me than a Titan. The 780Ti is a good card and will OC way more than the Titan on LN2 but neither of the two cards (Titan or 780TI) is worth the money.

WIth the AMD card you can add a second card later down the road regardless of if it is the same model or not. nVidea does not make provision for that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
They would fit no worries mate.

And a single 30" of the same resolution as a 27" will require the same amount of graphic power. It is the total size that will determine how much processing power you need from a VGA perspective.

Right now I am playing with a 780Ti and R290X what I can tell you is that the R290x performs better for me than a Titan. The 780Ti is a good card and will OC way more than the Titan on LN2 but neither of the two cards (Titan or 780TI) is worth the money.

WIth the AMD card you can add a second card later down the road regardless of if it is the same model or not. nVidea does not make provision for that.

...Which means, having 2x 280x would be better than the 290x, the Titan, and the 780? And, would you recommend just getting the R290x, and just get a second card further down the lane?

Also, in conclusion, right now, which is the BEST Graphics card available without exceeding 650 euros?

And, what would be the best configuration (Incluing SLi, Crossfire, or just single GPU´s) to have performance wise, having a budget of 650 euros?

Thank You HiVizMan, you are a great help to me! 🙂

Yours Dearly,

Matthew.

PS: I seem to be having this "glitch" where this symbol of "ASUS VIP" appearing below my name & Picture when I post a message, but once I reload the page, the symbol disappears, any ideas?

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate.

Do not worry about the glitch you only see the VIP thing once or on the last post in a thread or is it the first post. I do not have graphics switched on as a rule so it does not bother me. I have to actually download the images. 😄

But, does that meanI have VIP, or not? I'm confused 😄

I dunno if it's a case of me receiving VIP for being a person who is going to get products from ASUS, or is it simply a glitch, and I need to go buy the products I mentioned, prove that I have done, and then receive VIP?

Please Answer my Previous Questions Viz, as it's always best to receive the answers from Experts like yourself! 🙂

Also, in conclusion, right now, which is the BEST Graphics card available without exceeding 650 euros?

And, what would be the best configuration (Incluing SLi, Crossfire, or just single GPU´s) to have performance wise, having a budget of 650 euros?

Thanks Viz, Sorry about all the questions, I just want to get the best "BANG!" for my buck! 😛

Yours Dearly,

Matthew.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries mate I missed the question re the 650 price. Personally I like single card over dual cards simply because of the increased potential of hassles. AMD have gone a long way to resolve all the hassles that they used to have with drivers - no doubt about that. And right now it is nVid who are having SLi issues with their drivers if what I see on the gamer forums is to be believed.

Two R280 cards would be a winner in my book. You should get a reference cooler VGA rather than the triple slot non-reference cards. Two reasons the cards blow hot air out of the case, non-reference blow hot air into the case. Cheaper too. Performance is pretty much the same, you can overclock the reference cards to the same levels as the non-reference ones.

I was thinking of getting 2x EVGA GTX 770's, how does that sound?

They seem to use the reference cooler, that should go well, right? 🙂

Once Again, Thanks Viz!

Yours Dearly,

Matthew.

Profeus
Level 9
Hyper Droid wrote:
GPU: Dual Matrix R9 280X in Crossfire.
PSU: Corsair RM750

Just FYI, a 750w PSU will not be powerful enough to run dual graphics cards... You need at bare minimum 1000w.

I use a 1200w PSU to have the overhead available for when the system requires it... Especially if you are planning to run a triple screen setup like I do, you will more then likely run into problems.
Chassis Corsair 900D|MB Rampage IV Formula|CPU i7 3930K @ 4.8GHz
RAM Corsair DominatorGT 16GB 2133MHz C9|GPU 2x ROG Matrix 7970-P in X-Fire @ 1180MHz
PSU Corsair AX1200i|SSD 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB|HDD 2x 4TB WD Caviar BLACK
Monitoring Corsair Link|Cooling Custom Loop EKWB/AlphaCool/XSPC/Bitspower
Monitors 3x ASUS 24" VE248H (6036x1080)