cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Backtracker and Backing up your ASUS factory Win8 Recovery Partition

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Noticed there are people erasing their ASUS Win8 factory image and having trouble getting it back.
Often you will need to return the notebook to an ASUS service center to reinstall the original ASUS factory Win8 image if you have not backed up the recovery partition first.

If necessary, please back up your ASUS Win8 recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive using the ASUS Backtracker software.
If you check the FAQ below, ASUS Backtracker is officially supported for your model only if you can find it under the downloads for your model.
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013622

It may or may not work for other models and if you still want to give it a try, check the FAQ with the 64-bit and 32-bit Backtracker download links below.
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008641/

For those that are wondering as of 1/6/14 the latest version of ASUS Backtracker v3.03 still does not provide the option to back up to DVDs, so you will want to use a 16gb or larger USB drive for this and earlier versions.

ASUS Backtracker does not save any data, so back up other items separately if necessary, or find a third party program to back up your entire hard drive image instead if you prefer.

1. More info summarized below at this thread for those that are interested or still have questions: How do I use Backtracker?

wrangler wrote:
I figured out the answer to my own question. Here it is for anyone else who wants to know.

Boot up the computer that you want to run Backtracker on. Download the Backtracker zip file to that computer, or copy it from another computer using a network, flash drive, or whatever you've got. Unzip it, run the setup, and it installs. It puts an icon on the desktop -- just run it.

2. Feel free to reply directly to this thread about using ASUS Backtracker on the newer G750 models that came with Win8.1:
Does Asus Backtracker work on Windows 8.1 for the G750JS-DS71?

3. If anybody has had problems booting from their USB drive after backing up with ASUS Backtracker, check post #3 at the thread below about deleting all existing partitions before using ASUS Backtracker:
Problems upgrading GL551JM with an SSD and using backtracker - solved
81 REPLIES 81

Skedar
Level 7
I live in South America, so i dont have a service center in my country 😞

And if you guys make a Ghost Image ? its more easy...

(sry for my english)

cl-Albert
Skedar wrote:

Hopefully, it's not too late, but if you back up your image first using the ASUS Backtracker software, you will not need to send your notebook to a service center for reimaging.
Otherwise, you should be able to use the back up from somebody else with the same model if you can get it.

Skedar wrote:

Unfortunately, don't believe Ghost is free, so guessing this is why we did not go this route. If you already have a copy of Ghost and a good Windows image, you can probably make your own back up?

Hope I understood your question correctly and my answers are clear.

Albert, I've done the unthinkable and failed to backup the 480 MB partition which I believe is necessary for restore. I don't know why I didn't check it for backup but I didn't. Where can I get just the files needed for that partition? I backed all the others.

G750VW

Skedar wrote:

(sry for my english)

You can try Easeus todo backup to ghost your system.

Skedar
Level 7
Yes i understand cl-Albert,

i change my HD to a 7200 Momentus XT with i alread have...i try copy the partitions, but it is impossible...because my HD is 500gb, and i need a 1tb to do that...so i try another method, and its dont work....and because that i dont have the factory S.O anymore.

I will try make my own 8.1 its the only way.

jclrita -

i try Easeus, Partition Magic Live-CD, And a loot of another programs FREE, but if i make the ghost using a custom free space, its dont work..i dont know why, its only work if i use 1tb HD (and i did..but my other 1tb HD is the same, Samsung 5400rpm).

the most people hate the Factory SO, but i love =(

and again sry for my english..my "write" is terrible, but i understand and i can read everything.

Erm, i added a SSD to run windows from, i have an iso image of Windows 8 OEM version, which should automatically add OEM Product Key only, which was embedded in our bios.

Then just put the ASUS disc in and get whatever driver/bloatware you want originally went with the thing.

If anyone need, just give a holler, i wont be up here a lot, so contact me at Kant.nguyen on Skype.

Kantm wrote:
Erm, i added a SSD to run windows from, i have an iso image of Windows 8 OEM version, which should automatically add OEM Product Key only, which was embedded in our bios.

Then just put the ASUS disc in and get whatever driver/bloatware you want originally went with the thing.

If anyone need, just give a holler, i wont be up here a lot, so contact me at Kant.nguyen on Skype.

Off topic, how did you get that awesome signature?

Xclam
Level 7
Question, I noted that the download options for Backtracker include W8 but not Win8.1 will it work with 8.1 ?
Thanks !

cl-Albert
I've been able to get ASUS Backtracker working on some Win8.1 64-bit upgraded notebooks, so it's worth a try in my opinion.