cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking gtx560 on the asus G74SX

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

I am considering overlocking my laptop when I'm gaming crysis2 with the msi afterburner tool. However, I have never done this before and I have no idea how much this card can take before it melts down lol..

Could any one tell me a "safe-zone" (although overlcocking is never safe) that the gtx560 can handle without too much of a risk?

thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Br4nd3n
Level 9
A specific "safe zone" really isn't present when considering a laptop GPU overclock. My best recommendation would be to monitor your the laptops temperatures and voltage usage with each little increase while doing intensive gaming.

I.E: Play Crysis 2 for at least 5-10 minutes without an overclock and record your internal component temperatures and voltage usage. Then afterwards do a slight overclock tweak and play again for 5-10 minutes and record your internal component temperatures and voltage usage again. As long as you are not putting your hardware at risk of malfunction then you should be ok. Be aware though that laptop overclocking is a very risky field.

You may want to do research into the computer first to find what the area of safe temperatures and voltage usage are.
| Asus G74Sx-A1 | GeForce GTX 560m 3gb GDDR5 |
| 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram | 2630QM I7-Quad Core |
| BluRay + Bluetooth | 2x 750gb Sata HDD Drives |

Retired
Not applicable
I did excactly as you said; play crysis, check temp, tweak clocks and repeat. In the beginning I only did small tweaks which seemd to do nothing. However, In the end I just put core, memory and shader clock to max frequency. (I couldn't adjust voltage or fan speed.) Anyways, there was no temperature or fps increase while playing at max overclock? With no overclock crysis runs at an avarage of 45fps on "high-setting" which is the lowest setting. Also, the gpu temperature stays on 65Celcius. Unfortunately the results were excactly the same when all clockbars was on the highest frequency possible in MSI afterburner.. please explain :3

Naits wrote:
I did excactly as you said; play crysis, check temp, tweak clocks and repeat. In the beginning I only did small tweaks which seemd to do nothing. However, In the end I just put core, memory and shader clock to max frequency. (I couldn't adjust voltage or fan speed.) Anyways, there was no temperature or fps increase while playing at max overclock? With no overclock crysis runs at an avarage of 45fps on "high-setting" which is the lowest setting. Also, the gpu temperature stays on 65Celcius. Unfortunately the results were excactly the same when all clockbars was on the highest frequency possible in MSI afterburner.. please explain :3

You can try going to your NVIDIA control panel and go to "manage 3D settings". Change Power Management mode to "Prefer maximum performance". You may see an increase in FPS on some games with this settings changed, however with Crysis 2 it would be unlikely. Note though that the Adaptive setting is reccomended because it allows the GPU to lower its clock speed when it doesn't require maximum output; which therefor prolongs the life of the card. Crysis 2 is a very high maintenance game, you may not notice much of an increase if any when overclocking the 560m. Crysis 2 was built for high end GPU's, which is what the 560m is. However the game's maximum potential was built for extreme GPU's such as the 6990 and 580m. If I were you I would stick to the high setting when it comes to Crysis 2.

jorlanm
Level 7
In all honestly...I dont see much difference between Ultra and Extreme setting...and quite frankly not even that noticable going down to Very-High setting...

Even at very-High its still a good looking game...

id say Overclock when you need too.

The GTX 460m can go as high as 115c before damage accurs.
The GTX 560m can go as high as 100c according to spec.
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
totally agree with you, but i feel like i need atleast a stable 60fps if im going to play multiplayer in this games on max settings the game in running at like 18fps which is unberable .. but i would appriciate if anyone got any input on my last post, the overclocking doesnt seem to work >.<

Retired
Not applicable
I have pushed my 560m on my G74Sx to 920/1840/1625 MHz @0.962V and in 3DMark11 temps never got above 55°C.
I think I'll get it down to 900/1800/1625 for playing games @1080p with high detail settings.

Since the voltage is set to default and temps are quite low, I'm guessing it's safe to say this is a safe zone 😄 .. Right? RIGHT?

fearfromtron
Level 7
That's almost the exact frequencies I've had and been using for a few weeks now. I barely even hear the fan.

Retired
Not applicable
thx for feedback guys 😄 I found Nvidia inspector to work better

Naits wrote:
thx for feedback guys 😄 I found Nvidia inspector to work better

Nvidia inspector is what I use, because it's specifically designed for Nvidia GPU's. MSI Afterburner is a universal tool, which makes it less specific with a one particular GPU. Good luck with your overclocking. Post your set-up if you find something to be a noticeable healthy change in gameplay.