cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verdict on Win 8.1 - Install or Wait?

Dr__Abn
Level 7
Ok all you hard core RoG users, Windows 8.1 has been out for awhile and based on the number of complaints (lack of drivers, etc.) I have not upgraded from 8.0. I continue to receive the message "Upgrade for Free" but I am concerned about spending additional hours searching for and installing drivers and what ever else to keep my laptop running.

So what is the verdict? Does Windows and ASUS have all the necessary software available for easy download (1 or 2 locations) or should I simply hold off for a longer time?
6 REPLIES 6

sino8r
Level 7
Works great for me! No issues here with drivers etc. Used printers, phones, scanners, etc. No problems at all...

It work's fine on my desktop and Asus netbook. Just make sure if you have documents, etc. on a 2nd hard drive, too unplug it before upgrading to 8.1. If you leave it plugged in, you'll most definitely have serious issue's on both the desktop and modern side's. Also, if you have 8 now, do a search to find out if the modern app's you downloaded from the store are compatible with 8.1. Some aren't. If any are incompatible, uninstall them first. Also, do a search on how to increase the system reserved partition in 8.1 by 100 mbs. Otherwise the system image won't work, because the default system reserved size is too small for shadow copy to work. Also, make the system image, before enabling file history, otherwise it won't work. Those are 2 stupid bug's Microsoft should've fixed, but haven't.

Woofyhugger
Level 7
Works fine for me, no issues with drivers here. I didn't have any issues like the above poster mentioned and I have an additional drive plugged in 24/7. Not saying it doesn't happen, but didn't happen for me.
G750JH-T4074H i7-4700HQ, 32GB, 512GB SSD + 1TB , GTX780M-4GB
G75VW-T1013V
G74SX

kb0sdq
Level 10
I installed 8.1 as soon as all the updates were done yesterday when I got my machine so far all is good. I would say go for it
Happy ROG_n

Doug

DeltaActual
Level 12
i love 8.1
G614JV

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
It's a mixed bag of goodies. I'm glad to see everyone here has been met with a good experience with it! Worst case scenario is you end up rolling back to 8.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!