cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme not booting [Q-Code 20][D-RAM LED]

OB61887
Level 7
Hello all,

First time on the forums so if I miss something please let me know. I looked around and found similar issues but the fixes in the threads did not resolve this for me.

Hardware:
Mobo: Maximus V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
GPU: 2 SLI - PNY GTX 770 XLR8 Enthusiast Edition 4GB GDDR5 OC Graphics Card - VCGGTX7704XPB-OC
RAM: Tried both
2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz - CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10
and
1x Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz - CML16GX3M4X1600C8
I also have a sound card and video input card if those are significant.

Issue:
My computer flashes power then tries to boot. It gets stuck at Q-code 20 with the CPU LED light solid red and the mobo speaker emitting a long and 2 shorts. The BIOS never loads and no image ever shows on the monitor.

Attempted:
Changing the memory: same issue (I tried all combinations of memory sticks and memory slots).
Removing everything but CPU/RAM/Case wires: same issue.
Flashing BIOS: same issue (I flashed to the most recent BIOS. Let me know if the BIOS version is needed).

Initially I was under the impression it was a memory issue because of the Q-Code 20 and because BX80637I73770K is not listed as supported memory but the replacement memory CML16GX3M4X1600C8 is. I am hoping it is not bent CPU pins since I've already taken apart the setup so many times troubleshooting, but right now that is my next step.

Will be contacting support tomorrow once they open but figured I would give this a try. Thanks for any help.
26 REPLIES 26

OB61887
Level 7
Correction, what I thought was the CPU LED was the D-RAM LED. Still trying to get though to customer service.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello

I have no idea how this post/thread slipped past me this morning. I strongly suggest that you do inspect the socket for misaligned pins.

Could you please remove your motherboard from the case and use the box it came in as a test bench, I want to eliminate as many variables as possible and try and problem solve this. So no case means no possible short.

Now confirm that you have all the 12v EPS connectors fitted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nate152
I would try different RAM, there has been a lot of issues with people using the maximus v extreme mother board and corsair vengeance RAM. I have the maximus V Extreme mother board and am using the G.Skill Trident X RAM. I would recommend 2600 mhz. RAM with the 3770k cpu.

OB61887
Level 7
I removed the motherboard and checked the pins. Nothing looked wrong, however I haven't seen misaligned pins before.

I am running the mobo on the box with just the memory and CPU, still getting the same error.

Confirmed all 12v EPS connectors are fitted.

Still getting the same error, RAM LED, Q-Code 20, 1 long 2 short audibles.

OB61887
Level 7
Thanks for the advice Nate. Since this is my no regrets computer I'm willing to drop $350 on RAM but as someone who is only starting as an enthusiast and is only starting to look beyond all in one CPU liquid cooling, do you think the faster RAM would be worth while? I would run at 2160 8-10-10 31.

Also, any additional troubleshooting advice would be appreciated since I won't be able to get new RAM until tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Chino
Level 15
Can explain in detail how you updated the motherboard BIOS? Just to confirm that the USB BIOS Flashback procedure was successful of course. 🙂

OB61887
Level 7
I download the BIOS to the USB, renamed it to M5E, plugged it in to the white ROG port and held the ROG connect until the USB light started flashing. The light flashed continuously for a while. Sorry I left during the flash after about a minute of waiting so I'm not sure how long it took but when I came back a few minutes later the USB was not flashing.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The beeps are saying they can not see the ram.

Please try using only one stick of ram and use the memory slot furtherest from the CPU.

Remove all HDD and other bits that are not required to boot to BIOS. Keyboard and mouse only.

Re the socket what you could do is take some photo's of the socket from different angles and post them up here.

You say you flashed your BIOS I assume you had to have done that via bios flash back method is that correct.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

OB61887
Level 7
Only using one stick with all devices removed except for CPU/PSU/1 stick of VCGGTX7704XPB-OC in farthest memory slot. Still getting same result.

Yes, I used the flash back method.

I attached a photo of the CPU pins, 2 of the socket and one of the mobo as is.