cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Thunderbolt Sound Card

Retired
Not applicable
So I am probable just missing something very obvious but I guess I'm going to have to ask the question anyway. On the back of the thunderbolt card there is only one input and 1 output..... so does this mean that the card only supports stereo? I need a little help on this one.

I have a Tritton AX 51 Pro headset and it supports 5.1 true surround sound. So how do I get this to work.

Thanks for the help.
10 REPLIES 10

Retired
Not applicable
that's right the card is only 2.1

Retired
Not applicable
unfortunately the thunderbolt was designed specifically for 2 channel headphones and does not support 5.1 channel. if you want to use 5 channel you can use the on board audio.

Area_66
Level 11
Can you use both at same time ? ( it's a long time I want ask this one )

Retired
Not applicable
i think windows allows you to enable only 1 sound card at a time.

Brian@ASUS wrote:
i think windows allows you to enable only 1 sound card at a time.

This is correct for Windows 7, you used to be able to enable multiple sound devices in some older versions but this support has since been dropped. (Unfortunately)
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

Retired
Not applicable
I have connected ThunderBolt S/PDIF OUT to Home Theatre System (DAV-SR4W). When I watch films by The KM player I see that sound Dolby Digital or DTS, but in game always 2.1 stereo. How can I get 5.1 sound in game on S/PDIF? And how activate DS3D GX (DirectSound3D Game Extensions) in ThunderBolt control panel? Thank you.

Retired
Not applicable
I think it only depends on the game. Some Games have audio settings so you can change type of sound and layout of speakers. But most of them depend on setting from your audio manager in windows.

Retired
Not applicable
WOW. Seems like a FAIL to make a discrete sound card, advertise that it will give the "extreme gamer" an advantage because you will be able to hear "better" only to support 2.1. Thanks for the help on this one guys. I guess I will just use the on board audio (which IMO is great) and go from there.

Jay Cee wrote:
WOW. Seems like a FAIL to make a discrete sound card, advertise that it will give the "extreme gamer" an advantage because you will be able to hear "better" only to support 2.1. Thanks for the help on this one guys. I guess I will just use the on board audio (which IMO is great) and go from there.

The AX 51 is the exception rather than the rule. For most "extreme" gamers they will have a 2 driver headset and the best possible setup for such a headset is something like this. For people with separate discrete inputs they would not benefit from something like the thunderbolt anyway because the external device is doing all of the mixing and any crossover on its own.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…