cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Semi-passive fan control on gpu?

Faithh71
Level 7
I was wondering if there would be any possibility to have the gpu fans turning off when the GPU downclocks to lower power consumption states like 324MHz/600MHz since the gpu temps are already below 30-35°? It might sound a stupid idea since DC2 coolers are quiet but if you have like 2-3 780's dc2 in your system idling theyre quite audible.
7 REPLIES 7

Retired
Not applicable
you can edit the GPU bios, modify the curve, or the %, as an example > Set the lowest threshold to 20% instead of 30%, or 10% then the fans wont run at all, but only when load hit the gpu, they ramp up

otherwise i think you are stuck with that fan control..

But take it from me, there is no solution, to run the gpu in a passive mode with a stock cooler, at a lower power state..

The gpu gets warm regardless, and fans are going to start spin sooner or later anyway, due to the increaser heat that build up..

But to drop the fan speed % by default is something i use to do, on gpus that are set high stock, makes them run more silent...

This depend on the GPU model..

lapping/polishing the block, and using a top paste, and then lower the fan %, usually makes them less noisy, and i think that is the way to go using a air cooler. There are other ways doing this also, but in order to do that you need to physically mod the GPU.. And.. no
Its to add a resistor to the fans + wires, did that on a noisy Zotac back in the days, to lower the fan speed in general..

Faithh71
Level 7
It's a 780 dc2oc, the heatsink alone is enough to passively cool a 780 at idle use. As most systems are idling like 70% of the time (in my case 99%) this "passive fan mode" will just help overall improve the longevity of the fan. To clarify I would like to have the fan turned off at idle, NOT at the highest power state such as in a game.

Since Asus always tries to do something special with a product; 0 dba at idle would be a great marketingstrick for them so I see enough potential in it.

Retired
Not applicable
Corsair went down that path, with the RM PSU series, they got many back in return, after one stinky review, but they made some improvements tho, to the new revision, and the buyers got to replace their old revision, free of charge ( with only the shipping charged) ..

Retired
Not applicable
But i agree with you, lower noise level and temps....

A thing to start with, could be to lap and polish the blocks, but this is not going to happen, i think..

And use solid heatpipes instead of hollow ones?, i dont know if there would be any gain, using solid ones.. just a thought, but a fast calculation in my head saying that would be an improvement..

solid = more mass to transport the thermal activity, hmmm

Taking this one with e to bed this night.. hmm.. solid, hollow, solid, hollow

Faithh71
Level 7
WhitePaw wrote:
Corsair went down that path, with the RM PSU series, they got many back in return, after one stinky review, but they made some improvements tho, to the new revision, and the buyers got to replace their old revision, free of charge ( with only the shipping charged) ..

The fan kicked just too late in which was a design flaw.

WhitePaw wrote:
But i agree with you, lower noise level and temps....

A thing to start with, could be to lap and polish the blocks, but this is not going to happen, i think..

And use solid heatpipes instead of hollow ones?, i dont know if there would be any gain, using solid ones.. just a thought, but a fast calculation in my head saying that would be an improvement..

solid = more mass to transport the thermal activity, hmmm

Taking this one with e to bed this night.. hmm.. solid, hollow, solid, hollow

Doesn't matter, the current heatsinks on DC2 are enough to passively cool a 780 at idle. The power consumption at idle of them is around 20Worsomething which is not even a challenge to cool it passively. When the GPU enters its 3D clock profile the fan can start spinning and overheating shouldn't be any issue at all.

Stealthbomb
Level 7
I vouch for this idea. The GTX 780 DCII really isn't silent in idle. Wish the fans would spin slower than 1130rpm since they are cooling way too overkill. When I have some time over I might even unplug them and see what idle temps look like 😄

Stealthbomb wrote:
I vouch for this idea. The GTX 780 DCII really isn't silent in idle. Wish the fans would spin slower than 1130rpm since they are cooling way too overkill. When I have some time over I might even unplug them and see what idle temps look like 😄

Yeah would be great. I tried to mod the bioses and the fan doesnt go any lower than 27%.

Can we atleast get some official response?