Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Z Formula-Z Voltage issues

n0Odle
Level 7
Hello.
I have a general question.

Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support
Bios Version - 1701
CPU- AMD FX-9370 Vishera 4.4GHz Socket
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i with a Push config
Memory - G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card - EVGA 03G-P4-2881-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Power Supply - Corshair Hx 1050w (80+ gold)
Primary Drive (with OS) - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Secondary Drives (raid 0) - 2x Seagate Momentus XT ST92505610AS 250GB
Operating System - Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Question -
I was playing Bf4 and my game froze with a sound loop. I was still able to move the mouse and close windows but could not open anything else (the machine ran very sluggish). I hard restarted the machine and reviewed the AI probe logs- It appears my 12v dropped to 6.x for a split second and my 3.3v jumped to 6.x volts for a split second. I don't know if that has any correlation. I was having these same issues before I switched out my PSU. I have the Bios "extreme OC profile enabled" (so no power saving options are enabled). I do not notice any of my temps going above average (CPU does not go above 60c and Videocard does not go above 75c)

I have both 4 and 8pin plugged in. I currently have my voltages set to auto, except my memory - I have that running at 1.65v which is what they are rated at.

What do I need to set my CPU, CPU/NB, HT voltages to? I've seen videos were they will set it to what it is currently running at the time they are in the bios BUT I've experienced that the bios will sometimes read the voltage lower then normal (-+ 0.12 v)

I have 15 days to return this board through a RMA process, I want to make sure I check everything before I pass this mark. What should I lock my voltages at?

I've also tried using the Asus "extreme" OC profile but the system crashed when it reached 4.6, though I think its because I have the memory clocked at 2400 already .

any suggestions will be very helpful!
Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+
Bios Version - 1701
Memory - G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Primary Drive - SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD
80 REPLIES 80

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate

I strongly suggest that you manually set your OC in bios and not use any of the presets.

Your CPU should clock very easily with this board, the one thing I would suggest is having some kind of cooling (fan) over the VRMs as you are water cooling resulting in no air flow over your Vrm area.

Ensure that both the 4 and 8 pin 12v EPS connectors are fitted of course.

Simply select DOCP as yoru profile and scroll down that list till you find the XMP profile for your memory.

Now set your multi at 22x or what ever multi will get you to 5GHz

Wonder down to vcore and set 1.500 for now. You can change this up or down as needed once you are constantly stable in OS.

Check that the board is setting your memory XMP profile voltages, I would assume that they should be 1.65
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrsplmr
Level 18
"Now set your multi at 50x" 50 ??? That must be a typo. ..

Once all the other things are in place as suggested by HiViz ..
Start @ 20 for your multiplier and watch to see what target it sets
when you hit enter .. if 5ghz is your target keep going up ..
check out @solaufein_gr's screeny from Winter Wonderland ..[x19.5] with the same cpu.
and you will see the possibilities of your gear.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40774-Winter-Wonderland-2013&p=349126&viewfull=1#post349126

*Keep an eye on your temps. HWmonitor <<< download link

Best of Luck.c.

*** Somebody bring Viz more Coffee ... ummm .. sorry bro. .. Tea !!!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Indeed sorry guys. Mind was a bit fuzzy.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVzMan,
I dont know where i could put a second fan. The Vrams are near the top. I have a HAFX case, intake from side and front
Bios Version - 1701

n0Odle
Level 7
-To HiVizMan
I will upload the screenshots of the coreclocks tonight when i get home. It passed the cinebench and geekbench. I played bf4 for a few hours and the machine crashed. i took back the cpu/cpu calibration and it crashed after a few minutes. I had memtest86 run over night (3 passes in 7 hours) no errors.
i think currently I am at multiplier of x25 and bus of 204 or something close to it. My voltage is set to 1.49, ill try to raise it to 1.51.

To Platinum Guru Rog-
I think that guy is water cooled because those idle temps @ 1.52v is 10degrees colder than mine. I idle at 45c with the current settings i listed above as. If that's what it takes, ill be happy to try it, i just wouldn't know how to configure the ram at that point. with bus speed at 204 my 2400 ram is running at 2460, i couldnt imagine how it would be at 268.
Could i always declock my memory and then use the Bus speed to reach near 2400?

_general
What about the Digipower settings? what do i need to set the calibration stuff to? i believe most of it is set to extreme or high currently.
Bios Version - 1701

HiVizMan
Level 40
Set LLC to high.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Those two fans are pulling hot air from the case out through the radiator, I would think about changing the direction of the fans. That does two things, first pulls cool air over the radiator and second will blow air over the VRMs.

n0Odle
Level 7
then hot air will feed into my video card and ill only end up with one case exhaust.
Ill try to rig another 120mm fan in the bay where my CD rom is to suck in air to blow direct to them.

I will post my findings tonight in regards to changing the voltage to 1.5 running 5ghz
Bios Version - 1701

HiVizMan
Level 40
Why would hot air feed to your VGA?

The hot air is being vented by the 120mm fan inline with the CPU. Also the air blowing through your rad will be cooler than the air inside your case I suspect.