cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jh-db71 - power on requires two power ons - wth!?

mazdman
Level 7
Got a G750JH-DB71 for xmas & after updating to 8.1, I've noticed quite a few weird things:

1) When I power it off, then go and power up again, the ROG logo just sits there forever & I must press & hold to power off & then power up again. This didn't happen w/ win 8. I've updated to the latest bios 203 & it didn't change anything. It was also
supposed to fix the keyboard lights from going out after no mouse movement, but it didn't fix that either.

2) I set up win 8 as a local account & want to add/convert/change to a microsoft account, but change pc settings does nothing. I've scoured the internet & tried various things, but none of them work.

There's other stuff, but I am focusing on the most annoying for now. I HATE windows 8, not to mention the goofy ssd partitioning on this thing. I have Samsung 840 PRO's in my new desktop build & 840 EVO's in my G73JH & would like a similar tool to their Magician software.. I determined that my machine has SanDisk SD6SP1M128G1002 drives & yes TRIM is enabled, but still would like a dedicated tool.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated !!!
1 REPLY 1

hmscott
Level 12
mazdman wrote:
Got a G750JH-DB71 for xmas & after updating to 8.1, I've noticed quite a few weird things:

1) When I power it off, then go and power up again, the ROG logo just sits there forever & I must press & hold to power off & then power up again. This didn't happen w/ win 8. I've updated to the latest bios 203 & it didn't change anything. It was also
supposed to fix the keyboard lights from going out after no mouse movement, but it didn't fix that either.

2) I set up win 8 as a local account & want to add/convert/change to a microsoft account, but change pc settings does nothing. I've scoured the internet & tried various things, but none of them work.

There's other stuff, but I am focusing on the most annoying for now. I HATE windows 8, not to mention the goofy ssd partitioning on this thing. I have Samsung 840 PRO's in my new desktop build & 840 EVO's in my G73JH & would like a similar tool to their Magician software.. I determined that my machine has SanDisk SD6SP1M128G1002 drives & yes TRIM is enabled, but still would like a dedicated tool.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated !!!

The power up 2x happens to me occasionally with my G750JH too, I have reported it to Asus. It isn't happening very often any more, when I first got it it seemed to happen about 1/2 the time, now it is only about ever 10th reboot - or longer...I was going to back up to the original BIOS to see if it is a problem with the newest BIOS, but the frequency of the double boot has diminished so far it hasn't occurred to me to try it.

The drive bay of the JH is different from the JW/JX in that the RAID card is also the connector anchor for the 2nd bay - so you if you remove the structure you won't have any SATA connectors...

At first I was bothered by this, I have the same 840 Pro stable to unleash, but after benchmarking the RAID - and got 1TB/sec throughput on reads and 600MB/sec on writes on those tiny mSata drives, I decided I would replace them with 512GB / 1TB mSata cards and put a matching 2.5" SSD in the 2nd bay for a 3 way RAID - if that works ok - otherwise 2 way RAID at 1TB/1TB throughput will be aok with me 🙂

Now I think it would be nice to be able to outfit the 2nd bay with 2x RAID mSata's too 🙂

I backed up the recovery partition using Asus Backtracker and doing a complete 8.0 and 8.1 image backup using Macrium Reflect, and then blew away the recovery partitions and the 2nd partition and put all of the space into my C drive, this is what it looks like now:

Saving the last 900MB for later, but I think I will replace those 128's with larger drives soon. One thing I have noticed with mSata drives is you have to carefully research the performance results before purchase - they tend to have 1/2 the write speed of the read speed - but that is changing.

Windows 8.1 performance is as good as any Windows, or better. My Futuremark scores are the highest or next to the highest, same for other benchmarks - all new Windows releases suck unless you have killer hardware and are willing to change how you do things a bit - after a while it is normal, and the old way seems less cool.

Check out the Intel XTU and Asus GPU Tweak Tool to get more performance and to reduce CPU offset voltage to reduce CPU heat.

Have fun, you got a killer laptop!