cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benching RAM for RIVE and Ivy-E

Dartmaul
Level 12
Hello, my friend's. Today I'm about to tell a sad story of my own.

Once I got my X79 rig I purchased F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH kit based on Hynix CFR ICs, that I'm still using for 24/7 needs but at one day I realized it doesn't satisfy my thin timings needs
During the last 8 months I'm looking for some good overcocking memory, and that's the place my journey begins.

My first kit that was aimed at high overclocking results was found by my friend Luumi. It was F3-17066CL8D-4GBPS with Elpida MHN Hypers. I managed to get 4 sticks of this RAM but Hypers haven't worked well for me.

Hopefully, my friend of friends Zka has was interested in this kit and offers me F3-16000CL6D-4GBPIS on PSC X for my PerfectStorms.
This kit is now my pearl. I managed to squeeze 2700MHz with 8-12-8-28 timings that is an awesome result. Since that day my only with was to get 2 more sticks like these to complete quad channel kit.

Some time after that I found F3-17000CL7D-4GBXHD on the same PSC X. But off course, it had nothing about Pi.
So I decided to sell them after a short testing.

Some time has passed and Luumi send me a link on some low profile mem that was having outstanding OC capabilities. It was F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO on PSC X. After few weeks of surfing all across ebay I found that kit.
And that's where the real disappointment begins.
After one month of awaiting I finally got that kit and was full of hopes but it just refuses to work. My system does nothing but stuck at 01 debug code whatever settings I apply. I can't even post with CR1 above 1600MHz. I was tried everything^ voltages timings, BIOS versions, but no luck.

I felt myself down so deep but then I remembered HiVizMan was telling there's a 1600MHz Pi kit that should be good.
Ebay - auction bits - worrying my friends to get them to me and finally, this kit is here.
I found the same PSC X ICs under heatspreaders but "eco story" has repeated. 01 debug code whatever I do.

After all I have a bunch of memory sticks, empty wallet, and broken dream.

Off course I still hope to find a way to figure out what is wrong with most of my mem kits and how to make it work, but this post is mostly about experience sharing, about the curse of awesome Pi.
43 REPLIES 43

Luumi
Level 10
I love the last section of the text as a nice ending. Something must be wrong though when the last 2 kits can't even run xmp.
Sinebrychof aka Luumi

I sold SB-E(

What, so it is a bios issue then? You have exactly the 1600 7-8-7 1.35v kit?
Sinebrychof aka Luumi

Dartmaul
Level 12
They can but both have CR2 in XMP.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sad tale indeed Dartmaul...it does seem a bit of a lottery...have to go through the lemons to find a good kit by all accounts.

Are you trying to run it with IB-E only Have you tried SB-E with BIOS 1404 or 006b (think that was the right one)? or did you get rid of SB-E?

Luumi
Level 10
I am getting the same eco sticks most likely tomorrow and I still have 3930k and RIVE with 0006b bios so I will test them aswell.
Sinebrychof aka Luumi

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Menthol was good enough to let me have some old sticks of his and they will not clock on any of the later RIVE BIOS but flash 1404 and a couple of them do 2400 at tight PSC timings...they're only 1600 kit...

Dartmaul
Level 12
The thing is that 2000MHz Pi kit clocks on any bios. But other sticks cause 01 debug code.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I have two sticks of F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 7-8-7-24 1.5v...they will not do anything on later BIOS but 1404 are great....up to 4.9GHz clock the CPU over that and I haven't got them to run.....yet anyway....