cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished Q500A -- Pre-installed Windows Product Key was put in incorrectly

Geecy
Level 7
Hi all,

First, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask about the Q500A -- I didn't notice the Q series as a part of the list, but I really need some perspective here, even if you don't have a Q500A, because this is a pretty general problem. Second, I apologize in advance if this sounds ranty.

I ordered this laptop from Newegg.com as a refurbished product. When I turned on Windows, it gave me a notice saying that the Activation Key didn't work, and that the key "has been blocked." It seems that whoever refurbished the laptop put in the incorrect activation key, or else whoever returned it stripped the activation key themselves.

So, I called up Asus refurbishment support, and first they made me sit through a three hour long total reset of Windows, even though anybody with some knowledge about how Windows works knows that resetting Windows isn't going to help a fundamental issue like the product key being incorrect. Sure enough, it didn't work, and an hour into the call, the call disconnected. So once Windows finished, I called back, and they told me that the only way they can fix this problem is to have me send the laptop in for servicing.

What? It's a 25 key activation code for God's sake, it doesn't require a rocket-scientist or a computer technician to type in a 25 key activation code. I'm not sure I understand why they can't just send it to me -- it's not impossible to prove that I did purchase the laptop and that the activation key indeed isn't working properly. I know I should expect flukes from a refurbished item, but this is silly. It's a waste of money for them, and a waste of time for me.

Has anyone else had to send back a product from ASUS just to have them type in an activation key? Is this really necessary? Does anyone have any advice/condolences? I've already tried using a product key extraction program, but it only pulled up the incorrect code again. I'm sort of extremely disappointed in ASUS right now -- something as simple as providing users of refurbished products with a workable copy of Windows seems like a no-brainer.
3 REPLIES 3

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you should send back to asus service center to reinstall OS, i think it also in warranty.

yeh325
Level 7
I am having the same problem... they want me to ship back the unit just to activate window, and i would have to pay for the shipping. Is ASUS for real?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you are interested in pursuing it, can you please provide more information as below?
Sorry for all the questions, but wanted to make sure I provide the right suggestion for your situation.

Otherwise, you may also want to discuss more with ASUS support to clarify why shipping is not covered in this case.

1. Where did you buy the notebook from and what is the purchase date?
2. Which notebook model was it and did you buy it new or refurbished?
3. Which version of Windows are you using and have you connected to the internet to activate Windows? Please provide more details about any error messages if possible.
4. Are you still using the ASUS Windows image or did you install your own Windows image (or upgrade Windows?)? If you check Windows System Properties, check for the ASUS logo as in the screenshot below from my G750JZ unit to confirm you are still using the ASUS Windows image.
If it's not too much trouble, try to include a screenshot from your unit using the 'printscreen' key and pasting the image to Microsoft Paint to save.

Thanks.