cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g750jh video card and post sound

RogStark
Level 7
Hy everyone,
I bought last week an Asus g750 jh, and i wonder if can anyone give me a little help.
First, when i power on my laptop, the post sound from bios is enabled, the volume is 8, and there is no post sound.
I have an older Asus, and on that one, the post sound plays. Can this be a faulty motherboard, or something else?
And the second question, after the screen with logo, and the one with checking the drives, for a second or two, it appers a black screen, but in the top of the screen, there are some red dots or something like that.Is this normal?!

Thank you!
17 REPLIES 17

hmscott
Level 12
RogStark wrote:
Hy everyone,
I bought last week an Asus g750 jh, and i wonder if can anyone give me a little help.
First, when i power on my laptop, the post sound from bios is enabled, the volume is 8, and there is no post sound.
I have an older Asus, and on that one, the post sound plays. Can this be a faulty motherboard, or something else?
And the second question, after the screen with logo, and the one with checking the drives, for a second or two, it appers a black screen, but in the top of the screen, there are some red dots or something like that.Is this normal?!
Thank you!

There isn't a BIOS setting for a start up sound. There is a Windows Startup Sound setting in Windows, which makes the Welcome to Windows type sound/music after booting to the login screen. Is that what you are talking about? I always disable it, but just turned it on and rebooted to make sure it still worked, and it did 🙂

Windows Startup Sound Disabled

The red dots, can you take a video/photo?

I haven't noticed any video artifacts showing up during boot on my G750JH, it is typical to see some screen syncing going between VGA and higher resolution during boot up, so it might be that.

In the first image is the post sound in the bios. On that setting it shoud play a sound, after the rog logo, but before boot up. The windows startup sound is something else. And i'm sure that it has to play a sound, because i have another asus notebook with the same setiings and it plays the post sound. post comes from "power-on self-test" which means that when you power up the pc, it's making a quick test of the components. The beeps are different according with the errors found, but there have to be a specific beep when everything is ok(when enabled)

In the second image are the artifacts before the windows boot-up screen.

Thanks for the response!

RogStark
Level 7

RogStark wrote:

RogStark, the BIOS is different than I saw on my JW/JX, or my current JH - can you show a screen shot of the first page of the BIOS, like this:

The same as the other BIOS's on the JW/JX, my JH doesn't have those settings:

The lights across the top are well defined? Do they all come on at once, or 1 at a time?

Did you enter a control sequence once in the BIOS to enable debug mode, or to show hidden BIOS options? 🙂

No, i didn't entered a control sequence. I will come back later with the screen shots that you requested. As for the red artifacts, they appears just right before the windows boot screen and it last for a half a second ,max a second,and is a static image. Thank you!

RogStark wrote:
No, i didn't entered a control sequence. I will come back later with the screen shots that you requested. As for the red artifacts, they appears just right before the windows boot screen and it last for a half a second ,max a second,and is a static image. Thank you!

I thought it might be a progressive indication of elements in the boot sequence, I have seen that before as a non-audible indicator.

If you aren't getting any bad video during normal operation, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I have the JHA 203 BIOS too, and I am not seeing this. Perhaps you got an interim version? I would re-download the BIOS from Asus and use Winflash with the /nodate option to allow installing the same BIOS over itself. Then set Defaults and Save and restart - let us know if your symptoms are gone.

I've attached the requested screen shots. Seems like we have the same bios. But why the differences i'm wondering!31980

RogStark wrote:
I've attached the requested screen shots. Seems like we have the same bios. But why the differences i'm wondering!31980

RogStark, wild, it is like we have laptops from alternate universes 🙂

The Serial numbers have a different prefix, which is odd for being the same model... My model number is G750JH-DB71, bought in the US about a month ago... it is the Assassin's Creed model.

Yes, that is very strange. Hmm, i'm froum Europe, but next month i plan to go to Japan. I regret know, that i didn't wait to buy it from there.:(..I really don't know if that artifacts are a problem or are normal. But i will go to the store and i think i will replace it, since nobody seems to experience this problm. I had in the past nvidia graphics with the almost same artifacts but worked just fine for years.Of course those graphics where 100-150 dollars, so for that is acceptable, it's not a huge ammount, but when you pay almost 3000 dollars, there are some great expectations. Thanks again for the replyes!