cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partitioning harddrive with Linux dual-boot

Theorize
Level 7
So when I bought my g55vw, I included a hybrid drive.
This came with 500 gb of physical memory and 500 gb of cached memory.

Well I recently had to put my comp in the shop, because that hard drive crashed. I have a new one now, so its all good...

However, I was wondering if any advice could be given.

I want to install a clean installation of windows 7, as well as Ubuntu on my comp. I would love all of my program data to go on my physical drives, and my OS's to go on my cached for a quick boot.

Any ideas? Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Theorize
Level 7
bumping

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Theorize wrote:
So when I bought my g55vw, I included a hybrid drive.
This came with 500 gb of physical memory and 500 gb of cached memory.

I'm probably not the best person to talk to about this, but thought I would give it a try.
Sorry, I'm more familiar with the G75VW than the G55VW although they should be pretty similar in many ways other than the screen size.

Anyway, was wondering if your statement about the 500Gb cached memory is really correct?
What is the physical size of your hard drive or what do you see under disk management, and what partitions and sizes do you see under Windows/File Explorer?

Haven't looked at the hybrid drives too much, but expect the cache size will be less and wonder if you have a way to access it directly in Windows, so have all those questions above.

Theorize wrote:

I want to install a clean installation of windows 7, as well as Ubuntu on my comp. I would love all of my program data to go on my physical drives, and my OS's to go on my cached for a quick boot.

Sounds good in theory and you would probably do a similar thing if you had a SSD drive, but not sure that you can access your hard drive cache memory in the same way and if the cache memory would be of sufficient size if you can even access it.
If you had an SSD drive it would usually be the 'C:' drive where you install most of your programs, and if you had a 'normal' mechanical hard drive too, it would be the 'D:' drive where you kept your data, so wondering if you see or can set up anything like this with your hybrid hard drive.
If you can provide the brand and model of your hard drive, it should help us check the specs more.

Well, hopefully we can get more suggestions if any of my info is not correct.

Edit: Changed the thread title to get more info from Linux users.

Theorize
Level 7
Sorry, I have a 750gb hybrid drive

Here is what my properties looks like...

It seems, my partitions are already set up- I just don't know how to put my programs on my other partition.

Simply install them to 😧 drive most programs will give you options to you use the custom option during set up.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Theorize
Level 7
So I have to do a fresh install? When I am installing, how do I do a "clean install" - without all the blotware?

Also... I don't have the disk, how would I go about that without the physical disk?

Thanks for all the information

Theorize
Level 7
bumping, really looking for some help here guys.

Just gotta re-install windows I believe... and I tried to install Ubuntu with no luck

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/notebook-hard-drive-review,3270-2.html

I do believe I'm working with an Hitachi Travlestar

@Theorize, to clean install, just download the .ISO legally from Microsoft, and install from that. Then, at the license key prompt, enter the key printed on the sticker on your laptop. That's perfectly legal, and removes all bloatware, though you will have to install all the drivers manually.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Theorize
Level 7
So I've done the clean install!

Works beautifuly except for one thing...

Whenever I try to install Adobe Reader or WinRAR, along with other programs that I havent discovered yet, the installation is inturrupted.
I get this error!

"the ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll"

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or do I just have to do another installation?

I don't know. Strange error, to say the least. I haven't seen it before, could you try running system file checker ("sfc /scannow") from the command prompt as an administrator?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23