cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot update BIOS on Maximus VI Hero

stalkingturkey
Level 7
I can't seem to update my BIOS past the first release (version 0224). Although the update says "success" (I used the EZ Flash tool within the UEFI BIOS), the system fails to post afterwards (it powers on for 3-5 seconds, then powers back down).

I had an issue months ago trying to update to version 0711, and had to use the BIOS Flashback feature to revert back to the first release. I thought this was just a quirk with that particular bios version and just didn't touch it again.

Today, I tried to upgrade to version 1301, and the same thing happened. I even tried to update the BIOS through the BIOS Flashback feature to bypass the BIOS entirely...still nothing. I became so frustrated that I just downloaded every available BIOS version on the ASUS website and sequentially tried to update to to each one of them. None of them worked, except of course the original release BIOS. I'm believe I'm doing everything correctly: resetting BIOS settings to default beforehand, I even tried clearing the CMOS a few times, it simply refuses to upgrade.

And before you ask, yes, I really want to upgrade the BIOS (to anything) because I believe it is necessary to diagnose an entirely different hardware compatibility issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: i7 4770K
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB
GPU: Asus GTX 760, EVGA GT 210
HD: Intel 320 SSD (OS), Samsung Spinpoint F1
PSU: Seasonic Gold X750 (750W)
Windows 7 64bit
11 REPLIES 11

verrotten
Level 7
" it powers on for 3-5 seconds, then powers back down"

just let it do this 4 or 5 times... its going to train some settings. after this the hero board is starting up.

kkn
Level 14
if it dont reboots at all after a few atempts try and reflash whit the rog button.
read in manual on how to.

verrotten wrote:
" it powers on for 3-5 seconds, then powers back down"

just let it do this 4 or 5 times... its going to train some settings. after this the hero board is starting up.

I did this numerous times, probably tried to start the computer 10 times after each reflash. Same result.

kkn wrote:
if it dont reboots at all after a few atempts try and reflash whit the rog button.
read in manual on how to.

Do you mean the Flashback button on the back of the M/B? That's what I've been doing.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Please explain in detail how you are using the USB BIOS Flashback feature.

1) Copy correct BIOS to FAT32 formatted USB Drive. Rename to M6H.CAP
2) Reset BIOS to defaults/Clear CMOS using jumper with PC unplugged (I've tried these steps interchangeably).
3) Shutdown, plug USB Drive in designated port
4) Hold button until it starts to blink
5) When the light stops blinking, power on

I know I am doing this correctly, because the PC POSTs successfully when I reflash using the first release BIOS, it only fails when I'm using a newer BIOS

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate

Please RMA the board and get one that will flash as and when needed you should not be having those kinds of issues.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello mate

Please RMA the board and get one that will flash as and when needed you should not be having those kinds of issues.

I was hoping it wouldn't come down to that, but it seems like that's the only absolute way to fix this.

Just one more question: Would it be worth it to try and replace the physical BIOS chip? If the actual installation isn't potentially hazardous, I wouldn't mind spending $20 on a new chip if it means I don't have to take the whole system apart and be without computer for a few weeks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can get a new BIOS chip from EBay for a few dollars - less than 20. Give it a try.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You can get a new BIOS chip from EBay for a few dollars - less than 20. Give it a try.

I'll order it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.