cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z | No Audio & Not Recognized in Devices

HardcoreHostile
Level 7
I am having some Audio issues with my motherboard - there isn't any!
System Info;

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

Tests so far;

• Installed the Realtek Audio Driver: Version 6.0.1.7023

• Uninstalled and Re-installed Drivers: Version 6.0.1.7023

• The Device does not show in the Device Manager with and without the Drivers.

• Checked the Motherboard cabling.

• Made sure that SB Azalia HD was Enabled

• Disabled SB Azalia HD (Just because I could)

I have tried everything I can think of but the SupremeFX III Chip doesn't seem to be being picked up or recognized as a Device.

I would appreciate any help!
12 REPLIES 12

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings and welcome to the ROG forum.

A few questions here:
Is this a "fresh" install?
Is this a "new" system?

Meanwhile did you check the settings in the BIOS to make sure that the Audio was enabled (I think you indicated you did this but just to make sure verify)?

Keep us posted on your progress.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

This is a custom built PC (built in within the last week) and I did check the BIOS to make sure that Audio was enabled...

Just trying everything I can before I send the Motherboard back 😞

OK; I just installed Windows 8.1 64-Bit this past weekend and I did not need to install any drivers for audio (or anything else for that matter). I did later update the drivers using the latest beta from the AMD site which I assume updated all drivers except for the Intel LAN Driver. Regardless you should be able to play audio with a "default" install of W8.1/64

With that said I didn't have audio until I selected the correct "Playback Device" which was a simple "two speaker" setup; once I did that I was able to play music. Maybe check the playback devices?

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Bijomaru78
Level 7
Hi. I was involved in OP's build. We've tried the Playback devices as one of the first things but it only shows HDMI Audio Outputs from the Graphics Card.

At this point I've contacted the distributor and we have an RMA active. They've also suggested calling Asus but I suspect they won't have any other ideas, and the sound chip is just dead/faulty on this MoBo in this particular case.

Will be ordering a replacement today and hopefully a straight swap will do just fine.

Thanks for suggestions

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't SB Azalia for the front panel Audio outputs? try looking at the onboard devices and enable through there.

Bijomaru78
Level 7
Just checking on a thread here with detailed review, and Azalia is in Onboard Devices Configuration

The thread is here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23070-Asus-Crosshair-V-Formula-Z-(AM3-)-pt1-basic-review-wi....

Maybe we are looking in the wrong place?

TheNerdBench
Level 10
You are almost there...click on the SB HD Azalia Configuration at the bottom of the page.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

Yeah, we've gone there and it's enabled. We've also tried HD Audio and AC'97 for front panel but makes no difference. This screenshot was just for a reference if we were in the right menu.

Guess if it's all enabled and no recognised or unrecognised devices in Windows, the sound chip must be dead. New MoBo coming tomorrow and doing a swap on Monday. Will report back after it's hopefully fixed.

Bijomaru78
Level 7
Yeah, we've gone there and it's enabled. We've also tried HD Audio and AC'97 for front panel but makes no difference. This screenshot was just for a reference if we were in the right menu.

Guess if it's all enabled and no recognised or unrecognised devices in Windows, the sound chip must be dead. New MoBo coming tomorrow and doing a swap on Monday. Will report back after it's hopefully fixed.