cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my I73960x i74960x on R4E motherboard QUESTION

jblanc03
Level 7
I have Rampage IV Extreme Mother Board

okay so I have a bad i73960x and I am now going to replace it with the latest and greatest
ivy bridge I74960x !

but will I have re-install my OS????????? if I do this???

I don't think I would have to but I just thought I'd check

and yes I have the latest Bios for my Board before you ask
Case: TH10 Caselabs Black Aluminum with Extended Pedestal,Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme, CPU: i73960x, RAM: 24GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz, GPU: GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper's x3 Tri-SLI, Soundcard: Sound Blaster Titanium HD, PSU: One EVGA 1500w and One Thermaltake 800w, 2x Samsung Pro SSD RAID 0 4x Intel 520 SSD Striped 1x Hitachi 1TB HD 3 separate Custom Water Cooling Loops, 40 Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fans and 4 radiators and 3 reservoirs, 5 MCP655 pumps total
30 REPLIES 30

Nate152
Hello again jblanc03, you won't have to reinstall your OS. Install your new cpu and you're good to go. Can I ask what's wrong with your 3960x?

jblanc03
Level 7
this all started when my pc just would not post unless I had just 12 GB of ram installed on my board. I started many threads trying to troubleshoot. I ran tests on my CPU and everything looked fine. And then certain slots were not detecting ram.
But the funny thing was I could boot to windows sometimes on 12GB ram and run tests on my CPU. I used Asus Rog test I forget what it was called exactly, and all the tests passed.
I ran memtest86x and that passed.

and then all of the sudden sometimes for no reason at all, my PC would just freeze up. No error No BSOD and I would have to reset and then I would get no Overclock Failed message.

So I decided to purchase another Motherboard since that was the cheaper option.
I just now installed it and now my bios shows the correct amount of ram 24gb

booted to windows fine BUT, my pc is still freezing up for no reason and I know it cant be anything else BUt my CPU.
Case: TH10 Caselabs Black Aluminum with Extended Pedestal,Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme, CPU: i73960x, RAM: 24GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz, GPU: GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper's x3 Tri-SLI, Soundcard: Sound Blaster Titanium HD, PSU: One EVGA 1500w and One Thermaltake 800w, 2x Samsung Pro SSD RAID 0 4x Intel 520 SSD Striped 1x Hitachi 1TB HD 3 separate Custom Water Cooling Loops, 40 Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fans and 4 radiators and 3 reservoirs, 5 MCP655 pumps total

jblanc03
Level 7
it might be just that my cpu is just not stable anymore.

I ran it fine for almost 2 years at 4.7ghz stable.

Then this started happening.

don't know If I ruined it or not.

Nate152
I think your cpu is fine. it sounds to me like you need to add a touch more vcore. Or, leave everything like it is and drop it to 4.6 GHz.

jblanc03
Level 7
Rampage IV Extreme
i73960x
24gb GT Corsair Dominator 2133mhz 3 dimms on left side and 3 dimms on right
GTX 680 Classified Hydro Coppers tri-sli
soundblaster titanium HD

I started multiple threads on this issue and a lot of the experts on this forum said that it could be my CPU cause they were saying that it is having problems controlling the RAM channels properly on my board. So then that's when I decided well let me just order a new Motherboard and see if it solves the problem. Well I did that and the situation is a hell of a lot better but now It seems I have less stability with my system.

I just now tested my system with everything set to Optimized Defaults in Bios and I ran AIDA64 stress test for 2 hours.

No freezes or Crashes/BSOD.

so it seems now that my CPU is no longer stable at the clocks I had it before and ran stable for almost 2 years.

Do you think the new Motherboard is the culprit? I did not think that the motherboard mattered when it came to CPU stability if its the same exact model and Bios Version.

what do you think?

Nate152
I think it is possible you might be experiencing a mild cpu degredation. Set everything back like you had it except the speed to 4.6 GHz. I bet you will find you are stable.

jblanc03
Level 7
I will try that as soon as my Memtest86 finishes.

I am running it again just for a good warm and fuzzy that my ram is ok.

well if this is the case and my cpu has been degraded, than I might as well go for the new i74960x then.

What do you recommend as a tool I can run specifically designed for Rampage IV extreme motherboards and this CPU that will test EVERYTHING and let me know whats wrong?

its been a very stressful and confusing journey getting my PC back to where it is now.

jblanc03
Level 7
test