cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERY low FPS on Crossfire R9 280X DC2Top

StraightJacket
Level 7
Hi All

I'm at my wits end. I recently built a system, and i'll start with the specs.

Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | i5 4670K | 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (4x4) | Crossfired Asus R9 280X DCU2 TOP (one v2) | Raidmax RX-1000AE | 128gb Transcend SSD720

There are 6 other HDD's installed and some cheapo dvd writer. Peripherals don't matter.

Windows 8.1 installed on the ssd, all games running from a different drive (7200rpm).

Now my problem is all games as running like BS. Battlefield 4 gets average 40fps. Cod MW2 gets average 60fps. Left 4 Dead 2 gets average 50fps. Cod Ghosts has just taken 20min to load the single player campaign on a fresh steam install and the fps on that is average 25!!!! Skyrim Average 25fps and Thief benchmark at 20fps. Basically, all games are struggling. They were all played on highest settings at 1920x1080.

I have tested the cards on their own and no problems. the one card is v2 and the other v1. I have to run through the v1 cuz the v2 is only DP ports and no HDMI. I have tried setting the link speed on PCI slots to gen 2, didnt work.

Whats wrong with my system?? Please help me!

StraightJacket
5 REPLIES 5

heichalot
Level 7
does your system plays the game better when crossfire is disabled?

also, you may want to disable ulps via registry. it is a good idea to disable that when you are using more than 1 GPUs, and it wont hurt your system (just uses more power).
go to RUN, and typed " regedit " (without " ofcourse)
and FIND " EnableUlps " (without " too)
and change all of those entries from 0 to 1
close it, and restart

also, under control panel, power option
select advanced power setting
PCIE, and select NONE for power saving
need to restart too

give it a try, it wont hurt your system, and see if that helps

just a comment:
6 HDD uses alot of power, it would be better if you use just 1 large HDD instead
altho this thing isn't causing the low fps problem

oops forgot:
I know this is a very boring question... but which display driver you are using at the moment?
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

Hi

I'm at work now so will check ULPS when I get home. The HDD's are all big. Haha. 1,5 tb and up. Performance is not better with one card. At the moment i am on 13.9. But i have tried everything, including the Mantle Beta.

Will let you know what the outcome is of your suggestions.

Thanx
StraightJacket

I'd suggest 14.2beta1.3 driver, but if you are not comfortable using beta, you can always go for 13.12 final
but the problem of beta drivers, if you ever want to update, you will need to do a full uninstall (using Driver Fusion recommended)

ulps is not entirely the one causing it, but at the moment, I'll be honest, I cant think of anything else
so yeah, give us some update later on
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

StraightJacket
Level 7
Ok. I have now done everything. Even reinstalled my OS. No dice. Skyrim get a max of 40fps. Utter bs. Both cards are running full according to Asus gpu monitor. I've tried different drives, updated mobo bios. Even flipped the bios switch on the one card (the v2 one has a switch). Anybody?

Ok All. Big update, but far worse off. After trying everything as previously stated, I took my entire rig to the store that I bought my mobo and CPU from. After extreme testing, it seems to be the motherboard. The tech took my entire build and installed it onto his motherboard. An ASrock 6 extreme. The results were awesome, getting 282 fps on thief. So, they sent the obviously faulty board to the suppliers, and after getting the replacement board, tested my rig on it and got the same results.

So, basically, it seems my high end Asus Mobo and high end Asus GPU's are not compatible. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?

Please help.