cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SW graphics card upgrade

Donald_W
Level 7
Is it possible to replace G53SW's GTX 460M with better graphics card?
Like GTX 560M.
11 REPLIES 11

jorlanm
Level 7
I heard you can...but the problem is ASUS didnt use the Reference MXM PCI-E design so you can only fit ASUS GPU's designed to fit on G73's I have heard that the ASUS GTX 560m can fit on G73's (but why would you upgrade to a GPU that only gives you 10% increase?) but you cant buy Internal Parts from Asus unless your an authorized service center...

On that note if you realy want an upgradable laptop go with SAGER...but SAGER's are huge...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

jorlanm wrote:
I heard you can...but the problem is ASUS didnt use the Reference MXM PCI-E design so you can only fit ASUS GPU's designed to fit on G73's I have heard that the ASUS GTX 560m can fit on G73's (but why would you upgrade to a GPU that only gives you 10% increase?) but you cant buy Internal Parts from Asus unless your an authorized service center...

On that note if you realy want an upgradable laptop go with SAGER...but SAGER's are huge...

I have just one question: can i upgrade my ASUS G53SW-SX099V to nvidia geforce gtx 680m. Please help.

ANdjelo100 wrote:
I have just one question: can i upgrade my ASUS G53SW-SX099V to nvidia geforce gtx 680m. Please help.

No, the GPU is a custom form factor. Besides, the TDP on the card is too high.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

grungeboy2
Level 10
it's one of those things that you might be able to do down the road, but the video cards are still high. like a 260m is still around $250-300.

evga
Level 9
gtx 680m will work for sure on asus g53 , because gtx 560 works perfectly on it , but you have to mod the heatsink.

evga wrote:
gtx 680m will work for sure on asus g53 , because gtx 560 works perfectly on it , but you have to mod the heatsink.

What heatsink do you recomand me?

evga
Level 9
you should buy an alienware m18x or m17x r3/r4 heatsink and remove the heatpipes and resolder the heatpipes that comes from your g53 laptop.

evga wrote:
you should buy an alienware m18x or m17x r3/r4 heatsink and remove the heatpipes and resolder the heatpipes that comes from your g53 laptop.

I almost forgot: do I need to upgrade and power supply.

evga
Level 9
you dont need to upgrade powersupply , the new gen cards consume less current and has more horse power.