cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G750JZ, G750JM and G750JS Gaming Laptops Launch With Nvidia GTX 880M, 870M, 860M

X-ROG
Level 15
248 REPLIES 248

sasuke256
Level 7
G750JS with 860M i think it's the JM (saw it in xoticpc)?
is it kepler or Maxwell ?
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

sasuke256 wrote:

Very good question!

860M is something you should look at more precisely if buying a laptop with it - there's 2 versions of it with no difference in naming, one is using Kepler/GK104, one Maxwell/GM107 - they should have about the same performance but the latter obviously has notably better battery life on same battery size. The new series also introduces new "Battery Boost" technology which tries to down clock the GPU as much as possible while maintaining 30 FPS performance in the running game.

sasuke256 wrote:

Yep sorry the opening paragraph was incorrect, now fixed. The press release info was accurate.

Hey guys, just got my g750 with 860m Maxwell. Got both Samsung 840 pro and 840 evo installed, but......

#1 put in Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model BLS8G3N169ES4 and now the laptop wont boot, so I take it out and works fine.

#2 this battery boost, where is the option for it? ive searched NVidia and find nothing

dblkk wrote:
Hey guys, just got my g750 with 860m Maxwell. Got both Samsung 840 pro and 840 evo installed, but......

#1 put in Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model BLS8G3N169ES4 and now the laptop wont boot, so I take it out and works fine.

#2 this battery boost, where is the option for it? ive searched NVidia and find nothing

Are yours DDR3 module DDR3L? Haswell want only this type of RAM memory.
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

I just looked on the website at mine, and then tried searching for ddr3l memory, and I cant find ddr3l stated anywhere, on anything.

dblkk wrote:
I just looked on the website at mine, and then tried searching for ddr3l memory, and I cant find ddr3l stated anywhere, on anything.

1.35v is DDR3L 🙂

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLS8G3N169ES4

The memory spec is fine, it is possible it is bad, or at the least, not compatible with the memory already installed. When upgrading the memory in the G750 it is a good idea to look to the forums for people that have successfully upgraded already to find compatible memory.

The easiest way to get compatible memory is to get the same brand/model as already installed. You can find out what the G750 came with by using a couple of apps to read the make/model/settings:

CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

HWinfo64
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

AIDA64 - Engineer
http://www.aida64.com/downloads

If you really want better / faster / larger memory, you are better off replacing all the memory in the laptop that way all the memory is the same compatible spec. On the G750 it isn't easy, as you have to disassemble the top / screen (just pull it), so you can lift the top to expose the area under the keyboard, where the other 2 DIMM's are located. If you have a local Asus Service Center that can do that for you, it is a good idea to let someone do it that is experienced - you void the warranty doing it yourself - or by letting a non-Asus company service it.

Let us know what you have installed. If you have 4GB DIMM's, and want to install 8GB DIMM's, you can get memory in the same make/model line sometimes that will be compatible.

Thanks for the help though, ill report back in the next few weeks when I get the new memory and let you know how that works out.

dblkk wrote:
Thanks for the help though, ill report back in the next few weeks when I get the new memory and let you know how that works out.

Cool, if those are recommended then it is likely just bad ram, it happens. It could also be that the person that tried and recommended those specific SODIMM's had a different make/model of factory installed memory in his laptop than you have in yours, which means they are just not compatible with yours.

Asus uses a number of different makes/models of memory over time, they aren't all the same.

Did you try just putting in 1 at a time? That way you can RMA only 1, and get some bump in memory while you are waiting for the 4th one to arrive? At least 1 should work. It would be unusual to have both fail.. that lends to the idea that they are not compatible.

For me I found out the make/model of what I have installed, and then ordered 1 just like it, but I already had 3 x 8GB, and adding 1 8GB was easy.

Another guy bought 2 x 8GB of the same Hynix family as the 4GB's it came with, and that worked too. 🙂