cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

780Ti DC2 VRM temp issue

Firedcylinder
Level 7
So I've had this card for a few weeks now and it's been great. Today I thought I'd try some simple overclocks using GPU tweak and GPU-Z to monitor it. I started with a baseline, just stock clocks and running Unigine Heaven in the background. After about 10 minutes, I noticed GPU-Z said my VRM temps were at 100c. Is this normal?

I didn't bother overclocking after that. I didn't want to risk it. Below is a screenshot of GPU-Z that I just took. It's considerably cooler in my room now (it's 2am and I have a decent breeze coming in my window) so that can account for the temperature difference. 94c still seems very high to me. If you guys can help with this I'd appreciate it.

The Kraken
Xigmatek Aquila
Asus Rampage IV Gene
Intel i7-4820k
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR 3 1866MHz
Asus Geforce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II
NZXT Kraken x60
Corsair AX860
Creative Soundblaster ZX
28 REPLIES 28

Nate152
Hello Firedcylinder, welcome to the ROG community. Try setting your fan curve so that when the gpu hits 70c the fans are running full throttle.

Hello and thanks for your welcome.

I considered setting the fan curve like that, and setting the fan manually to 100% does make the temperature go down. It also makes it very noisy. It's kind of alarming that this happens at stock clocks though.
The Kraken
Xigmatek Aquila
Asus Rampage IV Gene
Intel i7-4820k
NZXT Kraken x60
Corsair AX860
Creative Soundblaster ZX

Nate152
Yeah I know it's a bit noisy but It's about all you can do when air cooling.

Firedcylinder
Level 7
Has anyone had trouble trying to RMA a card with the warranty seal removed? I realize that's what it's there for, but I'm more than capable of taking the cooler off and putting it back on correctly. I want to see if the thermal pad/paste is making good contact with the heatsink.
The Kraken
Xigmatek Aquila
Asus Rampage IV Gene
Intel i7-4820k
NZXT Kraken x60
Corsair AX860
Creative Soundblaster ZX

Zka17
Level 16
Warranty seal? Are they placing something in such way that you can not remove the cooler? It use to be pretty straightforward...

Firedcylinder
Level 7
There's a little sticker over one of the screws. That usually denotes that the warranty will be void if tampered.

Believe me I know how easy it is to remove the cooler. I'm just worried about doing it if I'm already having trouble with the card.
The Kraken
Xigmatek Aquila
Asus Rampage IV Gene
Intel i7-4820k
NZXT Kraken x60
Corsair AX860
Creative Soundblaster ZX

Firedcylinder wrote:
There's a little sticker over one of the screws. That usually denotes that the warranty will be void if tampered.

Believe me I know how easy it is to remove the cooler. I'm just worried about doing it if I'm already having trouble with the card.

I believe you - just haven't seen that before... I did remove the original heatsink from a lot cards, but haven't met this issue to have a sticker over the screws...

In this case, I would choose the RMA, as kkn said...

kkn
Level 14
if you dont want to void it, RMA it ( as long as the sticker is not broken )
even my cards have it on the blocks.

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
I know its a month old the thread, but I too just bought this card and find the VRM's at 94c as well.
It also seem through GURU3D's review they found the same thing.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_directcu_geforce_gtx_780_ti_oc_review,9.html

I'm guessing either ASUS's 10 Phase power is causing a higher temp in the VRM or the vrm heatsink/thermal pads aren't the best.

Gpu temps are perfect @ 70c.

Though many of the GTX780ti VRAM's are running warm depending on the brand, temps range from 78 - 95c.
This ASUS card is one of the first I've seen that allow you to actually read VRM temps without thermal imaging.

I've been giving the idea of putting thermal pads between the VRM's and the backplate to allow some more passive cooling, but if there is a warranty sticker you're kinda boned and can't do it.

The other interesting thing that was found during GURU3D testing is this:
"We reach 76 degrees C on the GPU, interestingly enough that is not on par with what the thermal probes report back to us (70 C)"