cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U43F Express Gate Problems

LLCoolJ94
Level 7
Hi, I am new the message board, however, I think this is the right place to check for my problem. I have installed Express Gate on my U43F notebook, yet, I am unable to access it. I cannot seem to find it in BIOS and I cannot boot it when I first power on my notebook. I am not sure why it is not operating properly. I have tried uninstalling and downloading and re-installing to no avail. Could anybody lend some help? Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

Are you using the original ASUS Windows image and are you pressing the Express Gate button on the left side of the notebook (opposite the power button on the right)?

LLCoolJ94
Level 7
Thank you for the welcome!

I have been pressing the button on the left hand side of the notebook only. Am I supposed to press the Windows (start) button simultaneously? I think I've noticed that the lightning guy is on my space bar, however, I am not sure what is the significance of that.

cl-Albert
I forgot to mention you should press the left Express Gate button when the system is turned off since it's supposed to provide a quick-boot option from a power off state, and you don't need to press other keys at the same time.

You can press Fn+Spacebar to access the ASUS Power4Gear software in Windows quickly, but it doesn't have anything to do with the Express Gate function which doesn't even run in Windows even though it appears under add/remove programs.

LLCoolJ94
Level 7
Am I supposed to press anything else while I'm pressing the Express Gate button when the notebook is powered off? I've tried pressing the Express Gate button on the left-hand side while powered off with no success. I've attached an image of my keyboard as a jpeg. I'm sure it's not necessary but I figured it would help me be as explicit as possible.

I'm also confused why I cannot find it under BIOS? I can take a picture of my BIOS screen if that would be helpful.

cl-Albert
Thanks for the picture and did you see any symbol next to that button?

I was checking one of my older Vista notebooks with working ExpressGate and it shows a circle with llightning bolt which indicates to me it if for Express Gate and might be a dual-function switch to support Power4Gear in Windows too for some models.
I also checked one of the Win7 notebooks that isn't working with ExpressGate and it only shows the 'lightning' guy for the left button (for ASUS Power4Gear in Windows) which to me doesn't indicate any ExpressGate support, so wondering if ExpressGate may not be supported on all the models.

Curious if you are still using the original ASUS Windows image and if ExpressGate ever worked, but don't expect there is much more you should have to do other than just press the button when the system is off (otherwise, it may just activate the ASUS Power4Gear function inside Windows).

Well, something we may need to keep investigating to get to the bottom of.

Not too sure if this may just be for the older models and not apply to yours, but a video about ExpressGate is on the ASUS site if you want to take a look:
http://support.asus.com/FeatureVideo.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=110&m=ExpressGate&os=&hashedid=n/a

LLCoolJ94
Level 7
I'll take a look at the link a little later this evening when I get some more time. I just wanted to post a quick reply here. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the "original Windows image"? Could you expand on that just a bit?

I've also attached another picture detailing the left-hand button.

I still feel like I should be able to find ExpressGate in BIOS, but I don't seem to be able to do that. Would posting a picture of my BIOS help any?

cl-Albert
By 'original Windows image' I just wanted to know if you were using the Windows that came originally with the notebook from ASUS or if you reinstalled/upgraded Windows yourself which happens once in a while by the customer or someone they gave it to fix.

Yes, that's the symbol I would look for to support ExpressGate although I'm still not sure if it's supported on your particular model, but really don't have much information about it yet.

There isn't a bios setting you need to worry about for my Vista notebook at least, so just wondering if you heard about anything I'm not aware of.
It couldn't hurt to post bios pictures, but right now at least I don't know what to look for if it really matters.

I'm more familiar with ExpressGate on the older Vista notebooks rather than the Win7 notebooks (if there is any difference?), so if you're interested, consider contacting your local ASUS Support just to check if they know of a quick solution:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

Edit: Was able to find a Win7 notebook supporting ExpressGate, so can work with you on it more. The ExpressGate Cloud software was included with the original ASUS Windows image and shows up under Programs and Features.
Pressing the ExpressGate button by iteslf when the notebook is powered off opens it up, so nothing too special you should need to do normally.

LLCoolJ94
Level 7
Oh, I see. I'm sorry about the confusion. No, I do not have the original Windows image. Instead, I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional at the time of purchase.

I have tried to contact my local Asus Support, however, I did not really get anywhere with it. I tried uninstalling my then current version of ExpressGate and installing newer versions. This was several times of repetition with no avail.

So, if the ExpressGate Cloud software was included in my original Windows image, and I upgraded that image, does that remove support for it?

cl-Albert
Hmm..if you kept your original ASUS Win7 image and upgraded to Win7 Pro, I would think the ExpressGate would still be working, but if you erased the original ASUS Win7 image to install Win7 Pro, that is probably why the ExpressGate isn't working anymore.

I believe there is more to that original ASUS Windows image for the ExpressGate support than just installing the program in Windows (this may just be the way to upgrade a functioning version of ExpressGate rather than install?) since ExpressGate starts before you even get into Windows.

Well, we might still want to try to look into it more, but if you think it's worth sending the notebook back to reinstall the original ASUS Windows image and are okay using it, I'm guessing it will get your ExpressGate button working again, or you can let repair try to figure it out.
May depend on how much you care about ExpressGate function though.

Otherwise, I don't know what else you can do to get it working with your current Windows installation, but hopefully you can find another way or get more ideas especially if you never erased the original ASUS Windows image to upgrade.