cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the desktop PC dying out?

IM2L844
Level 12
Some iPhone junkies would like to think so, but it doesn't look like it to me.

From CNET:
"For those who demand the highest processor core count and memory bandwidth on the desktop, Intel will deliver an 8-core, 16-thread Intel Core processor Extreme Edition in the second half of this year," Lisa Graff, an Intel vice president and general manager, said at GDC earlier this week.

That 4th generation Intel Core Haswell chip will also support the new, faster DDR4 memory standard.

Other changes to the desktop that Intel mentioned are: an upcoming 5th generation Broadwell chip -- which will be Intel's first 14-nanometer processor and the first desktop chip to feature its own Iris Pro graphics (currently popular in laptops such as Apple's MacBook Pros) -- and an unlocked Haswell processor for the overclocker crowd.

"Intel is optimistic about the enthusiast segment," said Nathan Brookwood, the principal analyst at Insight 64. "There's not a lot of competition in the high-end segment" so it's a space that Intel can own, he said.

"Intel's desktop business is its No. 2 business at 43 percent of client [processor] shipments and was growing more than other segments for Intel in '13," the spokesman added.
39 REPLIES 39

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Definitely not dying out...if you work at a desk...if you want top performance, you don't want a tablet. You want a tablet to play angry birds while you're on the bog...anything vaguely serious you want a PC....

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Ask the folks in media how long it'd take to compile/cut/edit/finish a 30 second commercial on a tablet.

IM2L844
Level 12
I guess I should have specified the "Home" desktop PC as anything other than a niche market. My 22 year old daughter and her friends don't own and never use desktop PCs in their homes. Of course many of them use workstations on the job. So, to me, it looks like the "Home" PC market will eventually die out, but we may have another decade or two of mature enthusiasts with money driving a substantial market segment before that happens. Paradigm shifts are not all that uncommon in the tech world and it appears we will be approaching another one soon.

I think the next couple of years are going to be very interesting and exciting for system building enthusiasts. Synergistic dynamic efficiencies between various interactive components are going to be game changers IMHO. I really can't wait to see what the smart peoples are going to come up with next.

IM2L844 wrote:
"Paradigm shifts" + "Synergistic dynamic efficiencies"
No.... Just No !!!...

Sorry...

But on another note, my company just switched us all to IBM Thinkpads. This way we can take them home with us to connect to work but also have them handy in case of Disaster Recovery. They have an I5 running Windows 7. They are pure crap, slower than my 4 year old Desktop that was running Wndows XP...
Gaming Rig #1

- ASUS ROG Swift PG3480Q Monitor
- Thermaltake Level 10 GT
- Asus Maximus VIII Hero
- Intel 6700K Processor
- ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 X 2 SLI
- G.Skill 32 GB RAM
- Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB Hard Drive x 4
- Seagate 2 TB Drive
- Creative Sound Blaster ZX
- ASUS Storage BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray Writer

abvolt
Level 11
I don't think so I'll own a high end desktop pc until the day I die out
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

abvolt wrote:
I don't think so I'll own a high end desktop pc until the day I die out

You just gave me a great idea .. Casket Mod .. so if you find yourself in a cemetery late one night
and you hear whirling sounds coming from some vent pipes .. that's just me ROG'n from beyond ..
pull up a stone, I'll have lot's of time to chat .. hahahaha .c.

sk2play
Level 13
If that is true, why are high end GPU's scarce at launch and up to six months?

I think it is who you know. Not every household owns a Gaming Console either.
But most ppl want a modern smart phone as a given.
Tablets are a fascination at the moment satisfying the casual user.

I think the high price of Gaming Consoles and the Games are making many parents look at the PC Option again. I believe this is the market Steam is investing in. PC games are very inexpensive in comparison to Console games.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

ruphert
Level 7
As long as people are wanting high performance computer, desktop PC will continue to live.

Sandcracka
Level 10
IM2L844 wrote:
Some iPhone junkies would like to think so, but it doesn't look like it to me.

From CNET:

Is this a serious question?