cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP Optimizer - Reduce lag, Increase throughput

hmscott
Level 12
Update: Tried this on Windows 7, there are other options, have added those settings to the bottom of this post.

It has been a while since I posted info on TCP Optimizer to get rid of lag and increase throughput. It helps improve network performance as much today in Windows 8.1 as it did for WIndows XP when I first used it.

I posted this in another thread today, and I thought it would help out more people if it was a top level post.

To use TCP Optimizer, download and right click to start as Administrator - you are changing system settings so you need to have Administrator privileges

Select the network adapter you use most / now in the adapter drop down. Then Click "Modify All Network Adapters".

Click the Optimal settings Radio button below, and drag the Connection Speed Slider to match your download speed - that slider setting is used to compute a number of Optimal settings - I usually bump it up a bit past my actual speed - it seems to help a bit - I have 57mbps measured, but set the slider to 65mbps.

General Settings - Windows 8.1

Now, click on the Advanced tab, Click on the Custom Radio button, and set the Gaming Tweaks as shown, 1/1/0

Advanced Settings - Windows 8.1

Now you are ready to Click Apply - and you will see all the settings being changed, their old values, default values, and new values - along with their path in the Windows Registry. You might want to expand that dialog, and use the Windows Snipping Tool to take a screen shot of that dialog so you can read up on the values changed.

Then you will be asked to reboot, most changes require a reboot to take effect.

You should now have better throughput, and less lag 🙂

TCP Optimizer Site
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Current direct Download:
http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

Documentation:
http://www.speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer.php

Related Articles
www.speedguide.net/articles.php?category=93

TCP Optimizer FAQ
http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in.php?category=100

SpeedGuide Forums:
http://forums.speedguide.net/

Update: Windows 7 has different tunings available, here are my current testing settings.

General Settings - Windows 7

Advanced Settings - Windows 7
11 REPLIES 11

Norup58
Level 8
Thanks for the post.

Have a question for you:
My son has started experiencing lag/ FPS drops (from stable 60 to 30-35), especially in heavy fighting situations, while playing League of Legends.
Nothing has changed in his setup except from installing a patch from LoL. Initially we thought this was the issue but his mates have all installed the same patch and are not experiencing the lag/drop in FPS and they are all using Win7 as OS.

A easy way to test if TCP optimizer is 'helping' is of course to install and use your setup.
My question is, if TCP optimizer doesnt improve anything, is there any harm in leaving the new settings created by TCP?

I know I could read some of the info in the links you provided - but damn, thats a lot of reading. So thought I would try the easy way out and just ask you 😉
ROG 750 JH - 256 SSD - 750 HDD - GTX 780M

Norup58 wrote:
Thanks for the post.

Have a question for you:
My son has started experiencing lag/ FPS drops (from stable 60 to 30-35), especially in heavy fighting situations, while playing League of Legends.
Nothing has changed in his setup except from installing a patch from LoL. Initially we thought this was the issue but his mates have all installed the same patch and are not experiencing the lag/drop in FPS and they are all using Win7 as OS.

A easy way to test if TCP optimizer is 'helping' is of course to install and use your setup.
My question is, if TCP optimizer doesnt improve anything, is there any harm in leaving the new settings created by TCP?

I know I could read some of the info in the links you provided - but damn, thats a lot of reading. So thought I would try the easy way out and just ask you 😉

Yup, it's alot of reading, and that's why I posted the how to to show how simple it really is 🙂

Yes, the settings can be left enabled, even if they don't seem to help with the specific problem.

That kind of fps drop is likely not network related, unless there is stuttering/lag that contributes to the drop. Does offline play in that or other games show the same drop?

It looks like there are lots of people in the same boat, consistantly, over several years:
https://www.google.com/search?q=League+of+Legends+sudden+framerate+drop&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=o...

This one looks promising:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1lwok6/fix_311_fps_drops_fixed_with_1_simple_comman...

Perhaps keep a copy of the .cfg when you get it set for good performance, in case another update takes out your tweaks or makes changes that reduce performance. And, see if you can get a copy of the .cfg from one of his friends that is getting the best performance.

Let us know how it works out 🙂

Norup58
Level 8
#hmscott, many thanks for the feedback. Nice to know the new settings only have benificial effects, even if they dont help in this specific situation.

No, there are no drops/lag in other games e.g. Diablo III so gather it is a LoL issue and yeah, have read about alot of other people complaining and tried several of their suggestions without any luck - firewall setups, priority setting and so on. Believe it is a LoL issue, just strange it doesnt happen to all but guess when enough people start complaining LoL will look into the issue.

Meantime, will study the link you suggested as promising and get back if it solved the issue.

Again, thanks a bunch for your feedback
ROG 750 JH - 256 SSD - 750 HDD - GTX 780M

Norup58 wrote:
...Meantime, will study the link you suggested as promising and get back if it solved the issue....

If it isn't those specific changes, it might be a similar situation where recent updates caused additional features to enable that drag on performance, so you would need to find more recent posts that have the current reversal fix(es). Good luck 🙂

Thanks Scott!
G614JV

hmscott
Level 12
Update: Testing settings on a Windows 7 machine, updated first post with the Windows 7 settings.

Please test and comment with your own tunings if they differ from mine, and please post a test you tested the new settings in, before / after would be best so we can test and duplicate the change.

candy_man711
Level 7
some people youtubers set maxConnectionsPerServer 20 maxConnectionsPer1_0Server 20. is there any difference between 10 or 20? or can i set it to 20? is it wrong?

candy_man711 wrote:
some people youtubers set maxConnectionsPerServer 20 maxConnectionsPer1_0Server 20. is there any difference between 10 or 20? or can i set it to 20? is it wrong?

candy_man711, maxConnectionsPerServer is for IE only. I usually bump it up too. You can bump it up to 50 if you like and test that out too. More servers let you keep more connections open, so you don't have to make / lose connections if you really have that many connections open.

I have lots of tabs / windows open when working, so I completely removed the limits for myself in Firefox with these settings set as a Custom configuration in using the FasterFox Lite extension

Those are really high numbers, but work fine for me 🙂

Here are the rest of my settings in FasterFox lite, likely there is a bad setting among them, if anyone catches one - or has a better setting, please let me know.

Because I open / keep open lots of tabs and windows in Firefox, I also use MemoryFox to keep the memory usage down.

Have fun 🙂

Nonpossible
Level 7
The FPS drop may have to do with your settings in-game. Set an FPS cap to 60 (You really don't need anything higher than 60 for most games). What kind of video card are you running? It might behoove you to download GeForce Experience and have it optimize your League settings for you.