cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core Temp higher that Socket temp?

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
Hello All,

I've been building systems for a long time, however this is my first foray into water cooling...and my first foray into really pushing my FX8350 to it's limits.

I'll try and make a story that has been months in the making, short...First, let me thank everyone on this board. Your posts, question, answers, & guides have been invaluable in helping me get my processor off 4.2Ghz on stock voltage all the way up to 4876Mhz @ 1.536v...and now we come to where I have questions/curiosities.

As I mentioned, I have been building systems for a loong time. Cut my sys builder teeth on Slot A, and am admittedly somewhat of an AMD Fan-Man (a little too old for the "boy" moniker) And in all these years, and many many systems built, I have never seen Core temps rise above Socket temps. Maybe it's me and I just "missed" something that changed with the times.

I am currently watercooing. Got a 360 rad with a push/pull in the top of my case, but decided to add a 240 to my loop right before the res to try and help the water cooling. I really didn't like the way the res would get warm. (Ambient in my apt is not ideal.) Anyway...

In trying to get over 4.8Ghz stable I've had to move the LLC to Ultra High to remove VDroop from the equation and can run 4876Mhz @ 1.524/1.536v but my temps get really screwy. I can see a 5-10 degree difference from Socket to Core temp. Socket will be rock solid @ 61 degrees, but the cores will shoot upwards of 67.

I thought I was using some bung TIM (Phoyba Extreme Grease something or other) so I re-applied when I just changed some parts in my loop. Same thing. Inverted high load temps. When I run with lower @ lower speeds with lower voltage the temps stay more level. I could start my machine and see idle Core temps sitting @ 18-25 degrees, Socket hanging around 35-40 depending on what I'm doing. I just bought some Gelid GC-2, and am seeing almost the same thing. I'm not hitting the 72-73 I was hitting under load with the Phoyba but I think I'm still running too hot. Did I apply too much thermal paste? Do I just have a chip that runs hot? Did I just miss something?

Oh, I use HWiNFO64 to monitor. No other monitoring software installed other than CPUz & GPU-Z
If you need more info, please feel free to ask.

...and thank you in advance for your insight and knowledge.

Edit: I also forgot that I installed 2 temp sensors into my loop. Water going from the rad to the processor is around 30c and the water going from my 2nd rad, before it hits the res is about 33c.

All temps in my post are Celsius.
26 REPLIES 26

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
Temps under load & Idle temps. I just ran these quickly to demonstrate.

Bios reads 1.524v and I am using Ultra High LLC. Screens from HWiNFO64

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
Nothing? No views? No responses? Not even a "you're crazy, this is normal".

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Not sure; I'll have to check my system at home to see if this is normal or not.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Sgthawker
Level 7
I don't water cool, but I have seen many threads about heat, where changing to water removes the air from a fan that cools the VRMs. Adding some sort of fan over the north bridge/VRM heatsink helps keep the VRMs cool which helps keep the socket cool and that can help keep the CPU cooler as well.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | AMD FX 8350 | G.Skill TridentX 2400 16G | Asus Matrix GTX 580 Platinum | Sandisk Extreme SSD 480GB | SB X-Fi Titanium HD | Asus VG248QE | Corsair AX860i PSU | Lian-Li PC-V1200 | Win 7 Pro x64 | Zalman CNPS 9900 Maxx

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
Thanks Sgt, but the socket & the rest of my temps are well within normal ranges. I'd even go so far as saying they are great...considering placement of the PC in my apt and horrible ambient temps.

For instance. I literally, just re-did my loop to re-apply thermal paste...again. Thinking maybe I used to much the last 3-4 times I applied. (I honestly don't know how much LESS I could use at this point)

I've got RealBench 2 running a stress test for 20 mins now. My socket temp is hitting 59c/60c with occasional spikes to 61c. My core temp is hovering 63c/64c, and I suspect that if I let the test run the full 2 hours I'll see spikes as high as 67c/68c

Thanks NerdBench. I appreciate the help.

After re-aplying TIM again, I'm starting to think it may be a busted thermal sensor on chip (or something). I'm just not getting it...and I'm not quite gutsy enough to take the thermal shield off the processor to see what's going on under there. At least until I would be able to procure myself another chip.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
It appears that the CPU Die is hotter than the cores as I think that was your question?

BTW: I'm using AIDA64 and I'm air cooling with a Thermaltake Frio; these temps are a bit elevated as the room temp is up as this is the first above 40 F degree day of 2014 in my neck of the woods 🙂

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
Thanks again NerdBench. If you run a stress test on that processor/machine, (Prime95 or RealBench) do you see the Core temps overtake the Die temp?

Idle Temps

Load Temps (using RealBench2)

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Well running AIDA64 for CPU and FPU I did see my temps go up but the cores didn't seem to catch up to the CPU temp...sorry...didn't want to stress my system all the much so I only let it run about 5 minutes m:) Here are my results after a short test:

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
No worries. I understand not wanting to damage your equipment. My screen for the load temp was less than a minute. Before the socket even warmed up.

Thanks again for the help. Really appreciated.

I think I've either got a crazy chip with a mind of it's own, or a busted thermal sensor in the die.

I did just get my tax return. Maybe I'll throw down another couple of Benjies in search of an illustrious 5Ghz Golden chip.