cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for replacing the Atheros wifi card G53SW

mrmcgoo
Level 7
The specs on the atheros wifi card suck. I noticed an intel driver on the support page so would I be safe to get an intel wifi card like a 6230 , a 6300 would be nice if there were a 3rd antenna. I dont mind ditching the bluetooth
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
You can pick up the Intel 6300 at Amazon as well as a 3rd antenna. The antenna package has instructions for installation and you can read reviewers' experience. I'm considering this upgrade.

Check out this thread for more info: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3394-Upgrading-WIFI-card-on-G74SX&highlight=intel+6300
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

grungeboy2
Level 10
do the g53/74's not have a 3rd antenna?

Only 2 on a stock G74SX as far as I know... I haven't checked my system, but only 2 antennas are mentioned in the thread I referenced previously.

I just bought a G73SW-XT1 , Is the Wi-fi card also not really good? If it is not i would like to replace it also with something better and that has bluetooth.

I'm assuming you've got an Atheros wireless LAN adapter. They are not top end (but perhaps ASUS needs to cut costs somewhere to be competitive). I would just use the system and see if the performance is acceptable to you (browsing or streaming HD YouTube videos for example). If you decide you really need 5.0 Ghz performance, then you'll need to upgrade.

Is the bluetooth built in as part of the Atheros wireless LAN adapter?

Yes, I believe so. But I'm seriously considering replacing the Atheros, too. If I need bluetooth, I have a usb adapter. Lol
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I just installed an Intel 6300 it works much better than the old card. I'll install the 3rd antenna down the road. As for the bluetooth , I don't really use it. But I will put the old card in my acer netbook to replace the b/g card. It has an atheros card in it as well. Someone sure made a bundle selling these cheap wireless cards to all the notebook makers, or was it one of those brother-in-law deals.

Awesome! 😄
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com