cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards

hmscott
Level 12
Asus has solved the confusion around the Asus GPU Tweak for the G750JW/JX/JH and the G750JS/JM/JZ by splitting up Asus GPU Tweak into 2 support / download areas.

The G750JW/JX/JH G751JT/JY (non-Optimus laptops) have the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, Version 2.7.1.8 is latest stable tested - 12-23-14, there is a newer version 2.7.9.0 - I haven't tested it yet - 2-14-15

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards...

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ G751JM and other ROG laptops with Optimus
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

The new Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops doesn't allow overclocking as freely as the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops only allows a 5% boost.

Here is the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards on my G750JH, OC'ing well past 5% 🙂

82 REPLIES 82

senttel
Level 7
Hey scott, since I have already OC'ed my JW with Asus GPU tweak which now I assume should be called Tweak for Graphic cards, should I uninstall it and Overclock my gpu with the new version?

senttel wrote:
Hey scott, since I have already OC'ed my JW with Asus GPU tweak which now I assume should be called Tweak for Graphic cards, should I uninstall it and Overclock my gpu with the new version?

senttel, I usually update to the latest version when I find it, but it hasn't really done anything except update the graphics display, the same limits are there, so it won't improve performance.

What did you OC to on the JW? The GPU speed should go all the way up, 932mhz indicated and the JW I had went to 6288mhz memory.

Here is a screen shot of Asus GPU Tweak 2.4.1.0, when the GPU speed indicated the full 997mhz including Turbo Boost (932+65mhz) - one of the few updates that was significant - dropping the display of the GPU speed including Turbo Boost.

Also, the voltage setting does nothing. It shows stock voltage in GPU-Z HWinfo etc at any voltage setting.

I OC'ed up to 997/5700 and so far (it has been overclocked for 4 or 5 days now) GPU did not show any signs of instability, no screen flickering or etc. Btw I undervolted my CPU down to -110vM but removed the cpu OC, because it would crash like in the next 5mins after I overclock and undervolt at the same time so I decided that I prefer cooler system over a few percent CPU boost.

Norup58
Level 8
#hmscott,
How do you get your '70' to stick in the Display Fresh Rate??

When I try to adjust to 70 and press 'Apply' it reverts back to 60. Using version 2.5.8.3.
ROG 750 JH - 256 SSD - 750 HDD - GTX 780M

Norup58 wrote:
#hmscott,
How do you get your '70' to stick in the Display Fresh Rate??

When I try to adjust to 70 and press 'Apply' it reverts back to 60. Using version 2.5.8.3.

You need to already have set up a Custom Resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel.

For the AUO display 70hz is the maximum refresh - it's the actual spec for the panel. The Chi Mei display will run at 100hz, some have reported running at 110hz, but my JW/JX would only be stable ta 100hz.

Once you have the setting available in the Nvidia Control Panel, you can switch it using the Asus GPU Tweak tool, but I usually use the Nvidia Control Panel to set the refresh/resolution and leave it there.

hmscott wrote:
You need to already have set up a Custom Resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel.

For the AUO display 70hz is the maximum refresh - it's the actual spec for the panel. The Chi Mei display will run at 100hz, some have reported running at 110hz, but my JW/JX would only be stable ta 100hz.

Once you have the setting available in the Nvidia Control Panel, you can switch it using the Asus GPU Tweak tool, but I usually use the Nvidia Control Panel to set the refresh/resolution and leave it there.

Ok thanks - now running at 70hz via Nvidia Control Panel 🙂
ROG 750 JH - 256 SSD - 750 HDD - GTX 780M

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Still curious about the gaming mode option. When you click it, the cards voltage rises up from 837 to 850.. would that be better for my card since I've done the 135+ to Clock and upped Memory to 5200 in my own custom setting? I mean, if the chip is overclocked, wouldn't giving it that little more amount of voltage feed it the food it needs?

My current voltage is 837.

Darnassus wrote:
Still curious about the gaming mode option. When you click it, the cards voltage rises up from 837 to 850.. would that be better for my card since I've done the 135+ to Clock and upped Memory to 5200 in my own custom setting? I mean, if the chip is overclocked, wouldn't giving it that little more amount of voltage feed it the food it needs?
My current voltage is 837.

Gaming mode option? Where did you see that? There is no voltage control available for the JW/JX/JH

You don't always need more voltage to attain an OC. That is why undervolting while OC'ing works, often the default voltage is higher than needed.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
hmscott wrote:
Gaming mode option? Where did you see that? There is no voltage control available for the JW/JX/JH

You don't always need more voltage to attain an OC. That is why undervolting while OC'ing works, often the default voltage is higher than needed.

Since this just got dug up and I didn't notice your reply, when you press the 'G' button (gaming mode) near the "1 2 3 4" settings, if you look at your GPU voltage, you'll find Gaming Mode increases the voltage by 13mV to a total of 850.