cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to windows 8.1 and BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

joesy10
Level 7
Hi forum,

I have a little problem, but after all I want to say that this laptop was an excellent choice, ok, I have an ASUS G750J ROG, as I said in the title, I upgrade from win8 to win8.1 and the BSOD appears. I describe what I got: I turn on the laptop, an hour pass (more or less), and next the BSOD with that sad face and the message KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED the equipment need to restart appears, then the computer restarts, and then work fine for all the time I have this in function with no more BSOD.

I installed VS2013, Office 2013 and Fireworks CS6 and MSSQL Server 2012 and its express manager. And a search engine that I build and works with ASP.NET 2.0 and 4.0.... and nothing more, I do not need more, ok, a game Halo Spartan Assault but is clear that this game is not the problem.

I did what this page say: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2888929/es but the problem continue.

I need to say that I have by default windows 8 single language, and of course the upgrade is in the same way windows 8.1 single language. I tried to find any drivers or a software that can tell me if need to change a driver... Before sending my ROG to the customer service and fix this, I want to know if I can fix by myself, and asking if someone have a solution.

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

hmscott
Level 12
joesy10 wrote:
Hi forum,

I have a little problem, but after all I want to say that this laptop was an excellent choice, ok, I have an ASUS G750J ROG, as I said in the title, I upgrade from win8 to win8.1 and the BSOD appears. I describe what I got: I turn on the laptop, an hour pass (more or less), and next the BSOD with that sad face and the message KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED the equipment need to restart appears, then the computer restarts, and then work fine for all the time I have this in function with no more BSOD.

I installed VS2013, Office 2013 and Fireworks CS6 and MSSQL Server 2012 and its express manager. And a search engine that I build and works with ASP.NET 2.0 and 4.0.... and nothing more, I do not need more, ok, a game Halo Spartan Assault but is clear that this game is not the problem.

I did what this page say: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2888929/es but the problem continue.

I need to say that I have by default windows 8 single language, and of course the upgrade is in the same way windows 8.1 single language. I tried to find any drivers or a software that can tell me if need to change a driver... Before sending my ROG to the customer service and fix this, I want to know if I can fix by myself, and asking if someone have a solution.

Thanks!

The 2 solutions I have seen work are:

1) Uninstall the Asus Gaming Mouse driver

2) Upgrade the Ethernet/Wifi drivers

You named your model as G750J, but left off the W, X, or H. There are new versions of the G750, the JS, JM, JZ - and although they aren't released yet, their support areas are online and have newer versions of the drivers our JW, JX, JH laptops use 🙂

Right now, the G750JM has the best selection, but keep checking the JS/JZ for updates as they are released in April/May/?

G750 search, click Download for the model download area. Find your supported hardware and check the version/release date:
http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Hi there, thanks for your replay, ok, I uninstall the mouse driver, now the mouse do not have function, is death. And I upgrade the wifi drivers, that is the: Direct virtual Adapter Wi-Fi from Microsoft, and the ethernet that is the: Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30).

Just if the info helps to understand, now in the mouse icon (into controllers manager) I have only one drive that is the: ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad. Before that I had a driver that it was: Adapter for mouse compatible with HD (and I do not remember more), this substitute the driver called ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse in the past... by now, I will wait to test the changes and for your replay and opinions.

The model of the laptop is ASUS G750JX

What is the next step?

Greetings!!

joesy10 wrote:
Hi there, thanks for your replay, ok, I uninstall the mouse driver, now the mouse do not have function, is death. And I upgrade the wifi drivers, that is the: Direct virtual Adapter Wi-Fi from Microsoft, and the ethernet that is the: Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30).

Just if the info helps to understand, now in the mouse icon (into controllers manager) I have only one drive that is the: ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad. Before that I had a driver that it was: Adapter for mouse compatible with HD (and I do not remember more), this substitute the driver called ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse in the past... by now, I will wait to test the changes and for your replay and opinions.

The model of the laptop is ASUS G750JX

What is the next step?

Greetings!!

The problem with the ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse driver was it was crashing the laptop for many people. Most G750's didn't ship with a mouse, so it made sense to uninstall the mouse driver to stop the crashing.

If your laptop was bundled with an Asus mouse, then you can go to the Asus support site for the mouse and download the updated driver there.

I would be surprised to find that the Asus mouse stopped working completely, the Generic Windows Mouse driver should work for all but the special functions of the mouse - function keys, etc.

joesy10
Level 7
Hi there,

Well, after testing the movements that you suggested me, I can conclude that the problem was the ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse Driver, after eliminate that, the laptop is fine and with no BSOD.

You gave me the key, ok, it is fine, but I am trying to find the newest driver for this mouse and nothing, maybe I am searchng in the wrong site, so if you can give me a hint, will be great and grateful. Until now, I keep searching.

Thanks a lot !!
Greetings !!

joesy10 wrote:
Hi there,

Well, after testing the movements that you suggested me, I can conclude that the problem was the ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse Driver, after eliminate that, the laptop is fine and with no BSOD.

You gave me the key, ok, it is fine, but I am trying to find the newest driver for this mouse and nothing, maybe I am searchng in the wrong site, so if you can give me a hint, will be great and grateful. Until now, I keep searching.

Thanks a lot !!
Greetings !!

joesy, can you read the model number off the mouse? It should be labeled somewhere on the top or bottom side. Use that to focus the search on the Asus support site:

http://support.asus.com

I'm happy you solved the crashing problem, and I will check back in for the mouse info to see if we can get it working again too 🙂

joesy10
Level 7
hmscott, hi there, the model of the mouse is not printed on the mouse or the box, however, I downloaded the drivers for the model GX850, because the GX800 do not have drivers for windows 8. The model GX850 have drivers for windows 8, but not for windows 8.1 (I guess), because I installed the drivers, reboot and then connect the mouse into the USB port and the problem returns. What I saw (and keep seeing) in the Control Panel > Drivers Manager > Mouse and other pointer devices / Mouse compatible with HID.

If I am not wrong, when I had Windows 8, I remember that when I see into this section, I saw the next driver: ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse.

Anyway, I guess that, I do not know if there are drivers for windows 8.1 for this mouse. Do you know what mouse is compatible with windows 8.1?

I will uninstall the driver to prevent this BSOD and keep save my laptop.

Thank you so much.

joesy10 wrote:
hmscott, hi there, the model of the mouse is not printed on the mouse or the box, however, I downloaded the drivers for the model GX850, because the GX800 do not have drivers for windows 8. The model GX850 have drivers for windows 8, but not for windows 8.1 (I guess), because I installed the drivers, reboot and then connect the mouse into the USB port and the problem returns. What I saw (and keep seeing) in the Control Panel > Drivers Manager > Mouse and other pointer devices / Mouse compatible with HID.

If I am not wrong, when I had Windows 8, I remember that when I see into this section, I saw the next driver: ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse.

Anyway, I guess that, I do not know if there are drivers for windows 8.1 for this mouse. Do you know what mouse is compatible with windows 8.1?

I will uninstall the driver to prevent this BSOD and keep save my laptop.

Thank you so much.

joesy10, you might try doing a Technical Inquiry with Asus through the support site.

http://vip.asus.com

Register to get an account, register your laptop, and then post a Technical Inquiry giving all the info you discussed here - and ask for the download for the correct driver for your Mouse on Windows 8.1. I can't even find the ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse download area - an updated version that doesn't crash your laptop is a good start 🙂

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
hmscott wrote:
I can't even find the ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse download area - an updated version that doesn't crash your laptop is a good start 🙂

1. I navigated from the products page and found a few here under the ROG section:
http://www.asus.com/us/ROG_ROG/Keyboards_Mice_Products/

2. If you select the model manually from http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax look under the Peripherals and Accessories products for the keyboards and mice to look through the models one by one, but you might check if the options below work any better.

3. If you were able to install the mouse driver, you might check if it tells you the model in device manager (before it crashes again?)?

4. If you search the internet, you might be able to match a picture with a model too.

Hope this helps!

joesy10
Level 7
Hi there;

Ok, now I just open an order for technical support. Let´s see what is the answer that they will gave me, gave us. For now, I am working with the mouse pad of the laptop, a little bit hard, but anyway, it works.

Thanks!