cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS AC/DC Adapter No Longer Charging Laptop.

Exqect
Level 7
Hi guys, so just about a couple of hours ago my ASUS AC/DC Adapter just suddenly stopped working and is no longer charging my laptop. It had been charging my laptop just fine earlier the same day. Although a couple of days ago there were some signs that the laptop wouldn't want to charge but just unplugging the charger and plugging it back in seemed to work. I tried it again this time but this time I didn't get it to work. I have had this laptop for less than a year, bought it brand new off of Best Buy around August of 2013. The model number for the charger is: FA180PM111. And the laptop is a G46VW. Could it be the adapter that is being faulty? I've tried hooking it up to different wall outlets throughout the house to make sure it just wasn't the outlet that was not working. Also, I've tried and made sure that the cable is well hooked up into the computer, nothing is loose and there are no signs of any broken pieces. I just want to know if there's any fix to this or will I have to do a replacement?

Thanks (:
5 REPLIES 5

Tokens210
Level 10
Notebook section may yield better results for ya

it could be the adapter itself or it could be the battery itself or it could be the port on the laptop itself

if your lucky enough to know someone with the same laptop youd be able to rule some of the things out but besides that idk

altho since you got it from bestbuy it is possible you could bring it there and see if you could get them to let you try another charger for the same model laptop there in the store, if it still dont charge that leaves the battery or the port itself

then if they were also kind enough to let you try a new battery and your old adapter worked you would know its the battery

only other option that i can think of is just buying a brand new charger and battery which i personally wouldnt do right away cause if its the port on the laptop itself then it would just have been a waste of money
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Well the thing about my laptop is, the battery is non-removable. Meaning I would have to open up my laptop to have access to it. But then again, I think disassembling it might void my warranty, which I don't think it would be worth it just to then find out it had been the charger all along, and would end up with a voided warranty. But I'll be taking this to Best Buy very soon to see what can be resolved and stuff. Thanks for the help though. 🙂

Tokens210
Level 10
oh yea, if its a non removable battery and its still under warranty i wouldnt do that either lol

i just wasent assuming it was built in at first lol i personally tend to stay away from things with built in batteries, question is never will it fail cause 100% it will fail at somepoint, usually the question is when its going to fail and if itll still have a warranty then or not
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Exqect
Level 7
Ok, so apparently after I had shut down my laptop and tried plugging the charger back in for one more time, that somehow fixed it. Kind of weird, considering I usually find fixes to things like this quickly fast, but this time I did not expect a restart to fix it. But it was like if the battery needed to discharge or something. I'm assuming that must have happened because I often leave my laptop on sleep mode for long periods of time, sometimes up to 3 days and no shutting off. Since I sometimes need quick access to do my work on the computer. But the thing is, it now works and is fixed. I'll try and be a bit more cautious with my computer.

Tokens210
Level 10
yea thats strange, i dont see any reason why or how the OS would hang charging or how reboot would fix it lol but hey if it works it works right