cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on my planned Build :)

Nuimoa
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm new to this and just wanted some help and general comments on a build that I'm planning in the coming months.

Budget: $3,500 NZD (Will keep saving/working until I can get that amount) Have $2,000+ ATM

Main uses of intended build: Gaming, getting things (Homework/internet surfing) done faster, video editing (for youtube) and a general entertainment computer that I will have no troubles with for many years.

Parts required: (List later)

Previous build information (list details of parts): This is my first time building a computer. Have been attempting to play games on a HP-Netbook (I know...) but gave up as I can't get anything higher than 10fps. My current computer was bought for school and I didn't expect it to do more, so that's why I am building one.

Monitor resolution: 1080p Bought a nice monitor on Boxing Day sales and I'm happy. Might get a couple more monitors later (2 years) but am very happy with 1080p at the moment.

Storage requirements: 120 (ish) GB SSD (Favorite games/programs and OS) and a 2T HDD for files/photos/viedos etc

Will you be overclocking: yes, I plan too.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): LGA2011 is a must

Here is my list:

MB: Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: I7-4930k
PSU: 1000w Corsair 80+Gold
RAM: Vengence 16GB DDR3
GPU: GTX780TI Direct CUII (Asus)
CASE: NZXT H630 Silent
SSD: Samsung 120GB 840
HHD: WD 2TB Black
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D14
Mice: Naga 2014
KeyBoard: Blackwidow stealth edition
Fans: AF120 120mm or ones included in case
DVD Drive: DRW-24D3ST

Thanks a lot!!!

Please comment!
37 REPLIES 37

PowerOver9K
Level 9
1. Vengeance is Budget Ram, especially for X79 boards which are very PICKY about RAM. Get Vengeance Pro or G.SKILL Z/X/Trident Series with low CAS Latency and frequency 1866 or better.
2. Take the OEM Windows off your build. You're not allowed to use it. You need to use a retail copy without the OEM on the title. It violates the license.

No other changes.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Antronman
Level 10
Larger SSD.
Don't get 840, get 840 pro.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Larger SSD.
Don't get 840, get 840 pro.

840 Pro benchmarks lower speeds than the EVO. Get the EVO.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/743?vs=964
It looks pretty equal overall to me.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

PowerOver9K wrote:

I think you are incorrect, the 840 Pro has a much better "Average Data Rate" than the 840 Evo.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-2.html
"..the fastest MLC-based 128 GB SSD there is, and it outclasses several high-profile 240/256 GB models as well"
Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed, that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
That CPU fan is massive, make sure you have the clearance to fit the RAM (although that board can accommodate 64 gigs of ram...). Just my opinion, I'd only feel safe overclocking with some type of liquid cooling for the CPU.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I have spent several hours trying to find a retail boxed copy of Windows 8 and ya know what? it's not available...hell even on the MS website, you can only buy the Upgrade edition. There is no longer such a thing as the Retail Edition. There's only OEM, Upgrade and Business/Corporate Editions. And the awesome thing is; now you can transfer OEM copies between systems that you own.

Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

Taken from here: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

So OP, don't worry about looking for the "Retail" edition, it doesn't exist and you know well that they love to screw us Aussies & Kiwis over on pricing.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
I have spent several hours trying to find a retail boxed copy of Windows 8 and ya know what? it's not available...hell even on the MS website, you can only buy the Upgrade edition. There is no longer such a thing as the Retail Edition. There's only OEM, Upgrade and Business/Corporate Editions. And the awesome thing is; now you can transfer OEM copies between systems that you own.

Taken from here: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

So OP, don't worry about looking for the "Retail" edition, it doesn't exist and you know well that they love to screw us Aussies & Kiwis over on pricing.

Retail = Full Version. Real hard to find.:rolleyes: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-8-1-Full-Version/dp/B00EDSI7QO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=139636...

You're not allowed to consume the OEM license. It's on this page right here

If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you will need to purchase Windows 8 software or a Microsoft retail version of Windows 8.1 software. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.*

Edit: I just called M$ licensing. I guess you can use the OEM if you register it at http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx... That is correct but there's certain limitations in the license. Read the entire EULA. This must be a recent change. I will note this only applies to Windows 8/8.1. If you are using 7 OEM, you CANNOT consume that yourself.

IM2L844
Level 12
This obviously isn't a budget build. Don't try and skimp here and there so save a few measly bucks. If you're going for the gusto with a Rampage BE and the i7-4930K, then commit and go for it.

I would just reiterate what others have already said.

If you don't go low profile, you'll have to pull the heat spreaders off the RAM with the Noctua cooler. That should be fine with good airflow inside the case, but, if they'll fit (triple check), I would at least look at the Ripjaws-Z, F3-14900CL8Q-16GBZM (they are compatible, reasonably priced and they might be compact enough as is?).
Go for the Samsung 256GB 840 Pro.
As long as you're spending this kind of money you might as well cough up a little extra on the PSU and get one of the best. No real point to saving a few bucks here. Get something Platinum rated with all Japanese capacitors and a 7 year warranty. I would probably look into and compare the SeaSonic 860 Platinum, Antec HCP-850 and the Corsair AX860i. I don't see a current need for it with your listed components, but, there are higher wattage models within each of those series if you think you might need it in the future.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck!