cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing video playback?

inactive
Level 7
Hello all!

So I have the JH (AC edition) and it has worked phenomenally. Until now. When I go to play a video with any of my players (media player or VLC) it will load it up and then just freeze. No playback, can't load anything else... just freezes. I end up having to reboot the system.

Anyone else encounter this problem or know how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

-e
8 REPLIES 8

noone
Level 8
Were the drivers recently updated?

hmscott
Level 12
inactive wrote:
Hello all!

So I have the JH (AC edition) and it has worked phenomenally. Until now. When I go to play a video with any of my players (media player or VLC) it will load it up and then just freeze. No playback, can't load anything else... just freezes. I end up having to reboot the system.

Anyone else encounter this problem or know how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

-e

DVD, BR, .avi, .mp4, .flv, ?

If you loaded another Codec pack with Media Player Classic, (MPC) you might have a corrupt codec with higher priority than the ones you had before the install.

Do an uninstall of the codec pack / MPC, and install MPC as an individual application - without the codec pack, and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't do it, Sort Programs and Features by Install Date, and keep uninstalling until you get working video again 🙂

Let us know what it was... so we don't install it.

I used this codec / player pack for years:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Now just install the MPC player alone:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic_Home_Cinema.htm

inactive
Level 7
Once again you guys are the best!

I Followed your advice HM and it looks like it was actually VLC :confused: just kept uninstalling programs till it worked.

Saved me a ton guys... really... I'm deployed and don't really have the option of taking it to anyone.
Thanks a ton again!
-e

inactive wrote:
Once again you guys are the best!

I Followed your advice HM and it looks like it was actually VLC :confused: just kept uninstalling programs till it worked.

Saved me a ton guys... really... I'm deployed and don't really have the option of taking it to anyone.
Thanks a ton again!
-e

Awesome Inactive! Glad that fixed it for you.

I am surprised VLC caused the problem, historically it has been a quality dependable release. Ffor me it has been the other codec package updates, usually alphas or betas, causing codec failures. I haven't installed VLC for a while, so thanks for the heads up that it is causing problems.

Have fun 🙂

inactive
Level 7
Well... The problem came back... I dunno what it is... the only video playing programs I have now are what came with the comp originally... I dunno what the deal is... Any ideas on how to just set the comp back to when I opened the box? Maybe that will fix it? I looked at the windows refresh and windows reset but it looks like it will wipe all the asus software also. Should I hold off and have the family ship me the cds (did it come with cds?) or is there a way that I am too dumb to figure out?

Problem recap: I double click a movie or video or audio clip, media player opens up and then just freezes at 0:00. doesn't play, doesn't error out until I hit stop or try to close the window then the whole system starts to act up until I do multiple restarts.

-e

inactive wrote:
Well... The problem came back... I dunno what it is... the only video playing programs I have now are what came with the comp originally... I dunno what the deal is... Any ideas on how to just set the comp back to when I opened the box? Maybe that will fix it? I looked at the windows refresh and windows reset but it looks like it will wipe all the asus software also. Should I hold off and have the family ship me the cds (did it come with cds?) or is there a way that I am too dumb to figure out?

Problem recap: I double click a movie or video or audio clip, media player opens up and then just freezes at 0:00. doesn't play, doesn't error out until I hit stop or try to close the window then the whole system starts to act up until I do multiple restarts.

-e

That shouldn't be happening inactive, are you getting that with DVD too? Or just the avi/mp3 files you downloaded?

There are bad files, usually incomplete downloads that can act this way. In fact that is a symptom of trying to play a file that is still downloading. When the file completes the download, then it will play, until it completes downloading all the info isn't in the file for the MPC player to play it.

Is your download slow? Are you watching to make sure the file is downloaded, and closed by the downloading program?

You shouldn't need to do a factory recovery, but if you do, try to keep a log of each install / change you make to the laptop software for a while, and do a System Restore point before each install so you can roll back if a problem like this shows up again.

The G750 disk has the recovery partition built in, you can either hit an F9 when starting up - sometimes tough to get the timing right, or do what is recommended, make an Asus Backtracker recovery backup to a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive - I know tough to find in the field - a USB 2.0 will work too, but it will take 10x as long to make the recovery image and 10x as long to restore to your system.

If you do the recovery restore, you will then need to do all the Microsoft updates, application installs, etc. So don't do a recovery unless you absolutely have no other choice.

Try using other playback software too, these files may be something MPC doesn't play well with.

Hey brotha, sorry for the slow reply, sometimes I just don't get to internet here.

So, I've been messing around and it happens anytime I play a movie, start a program, send a call on skype or try to access audio manager.

I'm thinking it must have something to do with audio as the "freeze" will be alleviated if I move the volume slider up or down. It also unfreezes if I adjust the volume via my headset.

I know, it sounds very odd. Now I say anytime not every time because it doesn't necessarily do it every single time. Although it does it whether I have my headset connected or not.

Basically it looks like this:
Start move or skype call >> window opens and stops doing anything >>move volume up or down >>program continues operating

I think my ROG has developed AI and is screwing with me out of spite

-e

inactive wrote:
Hey brotha, sorry for the slow reply, sometimes I just don't get to internet here.

So, I've been messing around and it happens anytime I play a movie, start a program, send a call on skype or try to access audio manager.

I'm thinking it must have something to do with audio as the "freeze" will be alleviated if I move the volume slider up or down. It also unfreezes if I adjust the volume via my headset.

I know, it sounds very odd. Now I say anytime not every time because it doesn't necessarily do it every single time. Although it does it whether I have my headset connected or not.

Basically it looks like this:
Start move or skype call >> window opens and stops doing anything >>move volume up or down >>program continues operating

I think my ROG has developed AI and is screwing with me out of spite

-e

Hey inactive, welcome back. I am glad you have a way to start video now, and wonder if you can start the video any other way. Like click > play or click in the Video Window - click should start and click again should stop.

It looks like MPC has a reported bug like you are seeing, but no solution in this bug
https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/1401

MPC also has a newer bug filed, but closed as duplicate...
https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/3774

Finally, it looks like this is the solution, posted in this bug - it's a bug with Nvidia driver and surround sound:
https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/3675

" Apparently they fixed this bug in latest release ​GeForce 332.21 WHQL Drivers
[Surround][Media Player Classic]: The media player freezes when attempting to open video files with Surround enabled. [1406828]
I'm closing the ticket, If you have any more problems fell free to reply."

inactive, what version of Nvidia driver are you running? You should be able to install and use the latest BETA 337.50, give that a try - do a Custom Install, and check the "clean install" button - that will first uninstall the Nvidia driver, then reboot, then after you reboot and login it will automatically do the install of the BETA 337.50 driver

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/74637

Let us know how it works out 🙂