cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help setting up a SSD in G750 Laptop

atony4688
Level 7
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, and bought a new ASUS G750JM laptop last week. I added 8 more GB of RAM and saw that there is an open hard drive bay. So yesterday I picked up an Intel SSD 530 series 240GB. I originally thought i just install it into the bay and use it. Apparently the main benefit of these SSD's is their speed so I would like to move the OS Windows 8, and the programs over to the new drive, but I am not sure how to do that. the new drive says it has migration software, but I have never don it before and I'm a little hesitant. I know I should create a system image backup, do you have any advice on where or how to do this? then do I install the new drive, run the software and it migrates everything over? can i then delete all of this off of the original drive? and finally does it matter which drive goes in which bay in terms of speed or functionality. I would appreciate any help, i am just a little hesitant to take this new laptop and try something that might mess it up. Thanks for your time.

-Anthony
27 REPLIES 27

pokerface
Level 9
the SSD needs to bay in Bay 0 for maximum speed

I am assuming the original HDD was in bay 0 so just swap them

before you do anything

download asus backtracker, then create a backup of your recovery partition to a 16 GB or more flash disk

now...

remove your HDD

install your SSD ONLY

start your computer while holding the ESC ke

then select to boot from the USB in UEFI mode you will see that option

let asus backtracker do its thing and restore back your system partition onto your new SSD

once you're in the OS, you will have to set everything up like you just bought the laptop

next, install your HDD then move the data that you need around

then format your HDD and use it for storage of files like music, movies, software , etc
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

Hi i just bought a new g750 and have the same question. However, what if i plug the new ssd in before turning my laptop on for the first time ? Will that be easier ?
Also, if i follow your way, how do i plug my hdd back ? how do "format" it ( i know nothing about laptop )
Last question is, i called asus technical support and they said that if i use asus backtracker to create an image in flash dirve, i will need window 8 key ? So is that true ? ( they also refused to help me with upgrading ssd)

TylC9 wrote:
Hi i just bought a new g750 and have the same question. However, what if i plug the new ssd in before turning my laptop on for the first time ? Will that be easier ?
Also, if i follow your way, how do i plug my hdd back ? how do "format" it ( i know nothing about laptop )
Last question is, i called asus technical support and they said that if i use asus backtracker to create an image in flash dirve, i will need window 8 key ? So is that true ? ( they also refused to help me with upgrading ssd)

TylC9, it's important to mention which G750 you are getting, the model number affects lots of answers, while many answers are the same for all G750's. It also helps to know what you are trying to do. Reinstall Asus OEM OS onto the SSD, or?

If you got an HD based boot drive, you could pull the drive right away and replace it with the SSD, but then you wouldn't be able to build the Asus Backtracker flash drive to do the Asus OEM install on the SSD. And, if you wanted to clone the HD to the SSD, you couldn't do that either.

What do you want to do that would be done better by installing the SSD and removing the HD before booting the first time?

If your G750 comes with 1 HD, then you would pull that HD after building the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive, pull the HD and replacing it with the SSD, then do the restore to the SSD, and then put the HD back in the 2nd Bay after the restore is done.

If you put the SSD in Bay1 - the boot drive bay - and put the HD in Bay2 and then do the restore from the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive, then you would lose everything on the HD - the flash recovery deletes everything on both drives in both bays before recreating partitions on both drives and then finally putting the OEM Asus Windows build onto the Bay1 drive.

You don't need a Windows key, the key is built in to the laptop for use by the Asus Backtracker Recovery flash drive.

Of course Asus refused to help you do such modifications.

Asus put all that work into building your G750 configuration, and they charged you for that. From Asus point of view, if you wanted an SSD, you should have purchased the more expensive version of the G750 from Asus instead of asking Asus for help doing it on your own to save you money.

Do more reading in the forums on setting up an SSD, there are posts with all the details, links and responses from others that will help you to wrap your thinking around a successful plan to accomplish the process on your own.

TylC9 wrote:

TyIC0, keep reading, there are lots of posts on how to do the HD to SSD process. Read a bunch of them, carefully taking notes on what process to follow, and wait until you have a good handle on the process before attempting it.

When you no longer think it is a good idea to format the drive containing your only copy of your OS / recovery partitions, you are getting close to being ready. 🙂

Asus isn't going to help you because those are end user questions about modifying the G750 beyond what they sold you. From their point of view you should have purchased the next model up with an SSD from them, if you wanted an SSD. Asus will support you on what you purchased, but they won't help you make improvements or hardware changes. They have written guidelines on how to change memory and disk in the manual and online; download and read the manual.

You don't need a Windows key to use a cloned copy of your HD onto the SSD, and you don't need a Windows key to restore / recover the Asus OEM Windows restore from the Asus Backtracker flash drive you will create to backup your G750 HD recovery partitions.

Come back with a list of your steps for the process when you are ready and someone here will be happy to help fill out the missing steps and help you get it done. 🙂

thank you a lot, i am still searching around until im ready to handle those stuffs. Anyway, so set the new SSD before first time turning laptop on wont make any change that what you mean ?

TylC9 wrote:
thank you a lot, i am still searching around until im ready to handle those stuffs. Anyway, so set the new SSD before first time turning laptop on wont make any change that what you mean ?

TylC9, no, I mean you don't want to pull the HD and replace it with the SSD before turning on, don't do that 🙂

You need to turn on the laptop, make the Asus Backtracker flash drive backup, and then shutdown and swap the SSD into the place of the HD, and leave the HD out of the laptop.

Then power up, hit ESC immediately to get the boot menu, select the Flash drive to boot, and then do the restore recovery to the SSD.

got you, from what i understood
1.turn laptop on and set window 8 up like normal
2. download asus backtracker ( this software will pretty much do everything by itself? )
3. backup everything in flash drive ( im using 1tb wd 3.0 usb hdd)
4. turn laptop off, take battery out, take the hdd out, then put ssd in, then turn it on like normal
5. press esc, select flash drive to boot,
6. do restore and recovery ? ( press F2??)
8. push hdd back on the other tray
Did i understand it correctly ?
thank you so much

TylC9 wrote:
got you, from what i understood
1.turn laptop on and set window 8 up like normal
2. download asus backtracker ( this software will pretty much do everything by itself? )
3. backup everything in flash drive ( im using 1tb wd 3.0 usb hdd)
4. turn laptop off, take battery out, take the hdd out, then put ssd in, then turn it on like normal
5. press esc, select flash drive to boot,
6. do restore and recovery ? ( press F2??)
8. push hdd back on the other tray
Did i understand it correctly ?
thank you so much

TylC9, you make it sound so easy 🙂

3) => The Asus Backtracker only backs up the recovery partition OS/apps to rebuild the system, nothing else - no personal data / etc. It only creates and uses a maximum of 20GB partition - no matter how large the device. It is recommended to use a USB 3.0 Flash drive of 16GB because it is right sized to the job. It will format all the 16GB and use about 12.5GB, leaving some room for stuff you want - I put on a 7-zip'd archive of C:\eSupport.

Otherwise looks good. Read the docs for Asus Backtracker too.

If you have a new JM/JS/JZ download from the JM download area => Utilities => Asus Backtracker Version V3.0.4
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JM/HelpDesk_Download/

I haven't tried that version on my JW/JX/JH, I use the Version V3.0.3 downloaded from here:
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

Remember, the faster the USB 3.0 flash drive, the quicker the creation of the recovery flash backup and the faster the OS creation on the new SSD.

hmscott wrote:
TylC9, you make it sound so easy 🙂

3) => The Asus Backtracker only backs up the recovery partition OS/apps to rebuild the system, nothing else - no personal data / etc. It only creates and uses a maximum of 20GB partition - no matter how large the device. It is recommended to use a USB 3.0 Flash drive of 16GB because it is right sized to the job. It will format all the 16GB and use about 12.5GB, leaving some room for stuff you want - I put on a 7-zip'd archive of C:\eSupport.

Otherwise looks good. Read the docs for Asus Backtracker too.

If you have a new JM/JS/JZ download from the JM download area => Utilities => Asus Backtracker Version V3.0.4
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JM/HelpDesk_Download/

I haven't tried that version on my JW/JX/JH, I use the Version V3.0.3 downloaded from here:
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

Remember, the faster the USB 3.0 flash drive, the quicker the creation of the recovery flash backup and the faster the OS creation on the new SSD.

I make it sound easy :), hopefully it is a compliment 🙂
i don't have 16gb flash so i will use my 500gb portable drive anyway. The date is not so important for me since i saved all of my date in the other laptop, i use this one for gaming (lol,steam few hours downloading not a big deal) and editing only.
thank you anyway, helped me solved my problem :))