cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z97 Maximus VII ETA?

Pahani
Level 9
I know it's a ways off, but is there any indication of an ETA on Z97 Motherboards?

I'm looking specifically for a 4970K with a Maximus VII Formula. And yes, I can wait the 3 months or so I'd estimate......would just appreciate an idea if this estimate is in the ballpark!

I have all the parts to build my new PC except CPU and MB.....but doing so when brand-new parts are so close would irk me LOL. I've been collecting parts a little at a time over the last 4+ months, so waiting a bit longer won't hurt (too much!).
77 REPLIES 77

ThermalX
Level 10
I just freaking bought my maximus VI Formula and now this =/ I don't think I'll be changing to z97, I already have the 4770k and the MB. Don't think it's worth it for me. I haven't even built the pc and got a chance to use it yet 😞

Even with DDR4 coming out, still don't think it's worth it. You'd buy some DDR4 ram only to have a faster version come out not much later 😛 I'll upgrade, maybe, when DDR4 hits it speed limit. Perhaps 2 years from now or 3. I got a bit frustrated when I saw the devils canyon cpu's being made by intel, but I don't think they will be such a boost over the 4770k...I can fix their f*** ups as far as manufacturing goes myself by de-lidding it, and a possible 100Mhz extra isn't worth the costs.

Anyways, about the ETA, I have no idea, sorry.

Actually, I do recall reading an article about the motherboards being released before the next batch of new and refreshed cpu's, that Intel stated they would release them about 3 months after the new motherboards come out, so...you may be waiting longer then 3 or 4 months if they don't release the z97 anytime soon.

"What’s a CPU company to do when its new motherboards are launching months ahead of its new processors? Well, when the socket’s the same, just refresh the old processors! Intel quoted a mid-year launch during its Monday press briefing, but mid-year will need to come early if Intel wants this launch to coincide with Z97. Motherboard makers tell us to expect the new Haswell models three months after Z97’s mid-April launch, which sounds to be a few months shy of Intel’s mid-year launch claim. Oops?"

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-haswell-e-devils-canyon-pentium-anniversary-edition-broadwell...

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
DDR4 so far is only coming out with the enthusiast/extreme edition CPU's, so, so far only with Haswell-E 2H this year

Tokens210
Level 10
To the op, as far as ive seen in info posts the CPUs like haswells refresh are rumored to start dropping at the end of this month

If I were to guess or ballpark it as you said I'd probly guess the windows you said, probly 1-3 months before there released or at least will have more info by then

To thermalX, the release of the new series doesn't mean you need to upgrade now, the first thing coming out is haswell refresh which is supposed to be replacement chips for the older haswells like the 4770k, so instead of getting a whole new board you'll be able to simply upgrade your CPU to one that's better constructed since Intel has said there going back to "solder" although they did also state there using a new method as well

As for ddr4 I wouldn't even worry about that right now, the new series of chips and board of course will support it but you have to figure most software probly isn't optimized to use it and probly won't be till a bit after the ddr4 starts rolling out in quantity

As Intel has stated with there rollout on the new stuff, replace your processor this year, new processors and boards and ddr4 next year
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Thanks! Was just looking for a general timeline, not something I could rake ASUS over the coals with if they're delayed.

ThermalX: Don't be dismayed, the M6F is a great board! I ALMOST got one, but my build has been delayed due to budget hits. They pretty much don't have t change a thing with the M7F besides the Z97 chipset to make me happy 🙂

And yes, DDR4 is for the X99 "Enthusiast" LGA2011-3 boards.....out of the price range of this po' boy 😛 I have to stick with the midrange LGA1150.

Neither the new chips nor the new boards will be a big improvement......they're just so close I might as well wait and get the newest stuff at this point.

Tokens210
Level 10
Yes that's what I would say, if u have the funds and can wait just do that

If not the maximus VI formula is a nice board, it the board I use and ive been very happy with it
Not to mention it'll receive a price drop once the vii series starts rolling out

I personally won't be jumping ship right into the Vii boards I may not do it for a while or at all instead I'm going to do as I suggested above and simply swap out my 4770k for its haswell refresh replacement once they've been out long enough for me to see reviews lol

Although the vii series may actually have other upgrades such as supremefx, or new capacitors things like that

But again for me personally there's not really a need to jump right onto it

I may even be a nice guy and buy a lower maximus vi board for that 4770k I'm replacing and give it to my brother to replace his 1155 gigabyte build, he really loves that blue tho lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
One thing to note guys, is according to a few different articles I read very recently. Devil's Canyon(the refresh) is going back to a soldered TIM under the lid....so you may be jumping sooner than you thought Tokens 😛

Tokens210
Level 10
Yes I seen that 2, I'm just hoping well kinda figuring the haswell refresh or whatever they may have now changed the name to for the SKU that's going to be compatible and replace the haswells will have it as well, that way I just need a new CPU not a new everything lol

I also don't really have a problem with my 4770k currently, it can only really do 4.5 and requires 1.4v to do it but that's still a 1GHz up from the default clock speeds and most games and such I use can barely make it push 80% useage once it clocks itself up to that 4.5

Cause if that's the case and I do need all new stuff I'll just stick it out with my old stuff lol my previous PC before this one I just built was a prebuilt dell xps 400 from around 2002 lol so I already have an enormous upgrade from where I was, I also really just would not have the funds at all to buy all new stuff, by time I saved enough for a new build I'd be willing to bet viii series will already be dumping for release lol

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
lol yeah, you're probably right on that

Chino
Level 15
Cannot disclose an exact date for obvious reasons. Let's just say that they will be in stores sooner than you think. :rolleyes: