cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GENE-Z, can't control CPU fan speed.

Rhialto
Level 7
Enabled QFan but cannot see CPU fan speed vary. I tried Silent and Manual without success.

Up until yesterday I was running on the initial 0208 BIOS and I updated it to 0403 but I'm still unable to control the CPU fan from the BIOS (I also tried by software by installing the Fan Xpert just to take a look but I was always getting an error).

Any clue? The fan is a Noctua NF-B9 (3 pins) that comes with my heatsink (see below). I've been told that 3 pins fans should work and have a few reporting this to be true.
35 REPLIES 35

Retired
Not applicable
3 pins fans do not work only 4 pin PWM!

Asus need to have built in voltage controlled not just PWM control for you to control both types!

My Asus Crosshair Rog Mobo had a bios setting for this for the CPU Fan header!

My other Rog Mobos did not but I simply used one of the other 3 pin headers!

Gigabytes also have option but unsure if Asus can add with a Bios or hardware is not there to do so!

PIA I know as some of the best coolers out there still use 3 pins!

Rhialto
Level 7
Well... I will need to ask the person who told me it was working to double check and confirm.

Hope ASUS can tell us if it should work or not AND if the hardware is there so a future BIOS update could enable this. I wonder why they would have removed this from a RoG series board.

Retired
Not applicable
They assume all fans are today PWM which you know is not true as Noctua do not use 4 pins!

If the hardware chip is not there then it cannot be fixed by a new Bios and my Mobo has no 3 pins fan headers.

The PSU Fan Header and possibly other headers (not clue why fan would be controllable) has a setting called "Duty Cycle" and it can stop your fan and only run it when needed so you could try connection your CPU Fan to it!

I see you have an Extreme-Z, there could be some difference with the GENE-Z I own.

Retired
Not applicable
Yes, yours is baby/mini version but I bet you have all 4 pins headers and Bios is near same!

Rhialto
Level 7
Was able to finally install Fan Xpert (they should really update the package to incloude Ai Patcher) but it was basically the same as what's in the BIOS.

I also gave SpeedFan a try (long time haven't used it) but it was not able to change the speed of the CPU fan, unless I didn't know how to properly use it.

Raja? Brian?

Retired
Not applicable
No your not doing anything wrong it simply only works with 4 pin PWM Fans the way it is and no clue if it can be changed by a new Bios to give 3 pin and 4 pin options!

I never used Q-Fan for my older Rog's always used SpeedFan!

Cyrekk
Level 10
jhuk is correct, you need PWM 4-pin fans for the mobo's fan speed control to work. I very highly doubt that you will ever see voltage control built into a MB header. It really is sad that there aren't more decent PWM fans on the market today, it really is the way to go.
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

Retired
Not applicable
actually it does, just set fan to manual in the fan control part of the UEFI, I tried and it works great on my D14 with stock 3 pin fans