cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R9 290x Issues (screen flicker, and full black out)

Balla-D
Level 7
So a similar issue was posted in another thread, but i am having a even worse issue. First let me post my setup so you know what i am working with.

MB- ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
CPU- Intel Core i7-4770K
RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
HD- 120GB SSD (Boot Drive)
2TB Secondary (Storage Drive)
GPU- 2x ASUS R9 290x (R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5)
PSU- Corsair RM850
Case- IN WIN GRone White 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower

So my issue is once i am booted up fully into windows, generally after just a little bit of time (30-45 secs) the screen will tend to flicker multiple times and then go fully black and i cannot do anything else with the computer at this point. I have tried with both cards and both do the same thing now. At first the secondary card worked for about a day or so, but now it will do the same exact thing as the other. My bios are up to date and as far as i know so is my Catalyst. I have had to resort to on board video in order to get the computer to work ( I have experienced no issues with this) I am outside of my replacement window with Newegg there is a 30 day window (i purchased on 3/5) But i should have a 3 year with ASUS.

So i guess my question is, is there any known issues that are causing this, and i can fix myself. Or is it just best to try and RMA with ASUS and hope they send new ones. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You say this happens with each card even if you run them singly? Have you tried a clean install of an older driver or the latest driver. I mean removing all things AMD in safe mode with something like DriverFusion and then reinstalling. if you can do it easily enough a clean OSinstall is always a good troubleshooting step...though a hassle sometimes...

Balla-D
Level 7
Yes i was thinking maybe it was a power issue so i just had one installed and powered, but it did the same thing.

I have not tried a new install of AMD products, i know the new driver recently came out, so i was looking at trying that. Just wanted to see if others might suggest this as a good option also.

Thanks

Ace0751
Level 7
If it did it with both cards it could be a PCIe slot issue the slot may be faulty. The slot may not have enough power to display the screen and could be damaged. You could try the cards on another PCIe slot but don't know if that would work but it's worth a shot to try.
Intel I7 950, MSI Radeon 290x, Corsair Dominator GT 12GB 2000mhz, 256GB Samsung pro, 2TB WD Black, Danger Den Custom Case, Liquid Cooled

Balla-D
Level 7
My MB allows the different slots to be turned off and then it will utilize the next slot in line. I tried that when both were installed at once. It jumped to the next one and did the same thing, then i removed the first and placed the second in its place. Same thing happened. I was able to change the settings quick enough to make my second monitor be a duplicate display, and it runs on USB, so the card did not effect how it was displayed, and it apparently froze the entire computer. I restarted, in a lower resolution mode and it worked fine. I gave me enough time to update AMD catalyst and also the BIOS on the card. As of now it is working fine. I am going to try and do the second card now also and see if it helps....... Thanks for the words.

Hi,

Same thing happened to my 290x oc2 directcu card if I install any driver after 14.4 which works great. Have you figured it out on your end? Which bios are you using?

Thanks.

moheban79 wrote:
Hi,

Same thing happened to my 290x oc2 directcu card if I install any driver after 14.4 which works great. Have you figured it out on your end? Which bios are you using?

Thanks.

Truthfully, it kind of worked itself out. I was able to update both BIOS and AMD and it has been fine since. I was having an issue with some games, but it just turned out that they were to old to recognize crossfire!! Once i removed crossfire they worked perfect, but i am lacking on the full potential of my system now, but just the one card works great enough.

Seems like Asus released a new rom promising stability fixes but that didnt work at all for me. Still flickering and black screening with 14.8s. One day you will install a new driver and have it happen again. I hope Asus recalls these cards or gives our money back!

Myl1ttlepwny
Level 7
I have the same issue, Sapphire just released a bios to fix the black screen issues on their cards http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll/1320#post_22953428 i would expect Asus to do the same.

Myl1ttlepwny
Level 7
If i go to this page http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VS24AHL/gallery/ and click on any of the images, sometimes the screen will begin to flicker a lot and black out like crazy, WHAT on that page is causing that?