cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance replacement RMA, How long should it take?

cota472
Level 7
Around March 21, I updated the firmware on my CVFZ to the latest and had many problems. So much that my computer would boot to just a black screen, no splash screen or anything. I called tech support and with lots of calls and disassembling and reassembling of my system. We got it working, but it has boot issues, they finally authorized a RMA. Since this is my only computer, I asked for an "Advance Replacement" as the agent said it should be less than a week to get the replacement board.

I am now at almost a month out and still no board. I have chatted online and called tech support, they haven't been much help with finding the status. I got a call tonight at 9:35pm and they said they have received my motherboard and will be working on getting it fixed. The problem is my motherboard is still installed in my computer waiting for them to send a replacement. Now they are asking for a serial number verification. I took pictures of the PCI slots and the serial number n the board. I also took a pic of the serial number on the box and my receipt showing the date of purchase. How much more am I going to have go through to get this replaced?
16 REPLIES 16

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings,

There is a "sticky" on RMA info you may want to review.

Not being a ASUS Employee I have no idea on what their RMA policy is...under most cases I try to work with the retailer/etailer in the event of a bad part (only had one bad device since I've been buying stuff from then EggHead Software now NewEgg). Always good to keep the paperwork on purchases.

Keep us posted on your progress...maybe someone else can chime in and offer some insight that has some experience with RMAs dealing directly with Asus).

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

cota472
Level 7
I did look at the sticky first but didn't find the info i was looking for. Interestingly enough within hours of me posting this, I received an email that my replacement motherboard was being shipped. So far I am not impressed with the RMA process, I only hope I don't have further issues after getting the replacement.

cota472
Level 7
I finally got my advance replacement board yesterday, I take apart the computer and install it... No boot. I am now getting a CPU FAN error. They are trying to blame my cooler or other accessories, just 2 hours before, my computer was up and running and it was fine. I did try plugging the stock cooler in just in case and it does not work either. Now they want me to send both boards back and I will have no computer for 2-6 weeks while they either repair mine or find me a replacement. I am not happy with ASUS right now.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
A lot of times what gets sent out is a "re-tested" board which is only as good as the person testing it (believe me being an ex-tech).

Can I suggest bench testing this board outside the case just to verify that it is bad (seeming you need to remove it anyways) as sometimes the mounting inside the case can cause problems.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

cota472
Level 7
I have tried this and still get the same CPU FAN ERROR.
tech support has had me dl the earliest BIOS and flash it, CPU FAN ERROR.
He blamed my power supply until I moved everything over to my old board and it all worked with no issues, other than the original 1 out of every 3-4 boots.
My only option right now is to go without my new system until they can replace it.

Does anyone know if they have a customer relations department that can just refund what I have spent on this board and I will go buy another brand

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I'm not sure...have you tried to get a refund from the place that your originally purchased the motherboard from?

It really is too bad that you are getting the run-around from Asus (hint hint) but it has become a common practice for most businesses to send out a "re-tested" or "refurbished" item as a replacement which in my opinion they should send you some sort of rebate. Let's remember that you originally purchased a new item...it isn't your fault that the item you purchased in "good faith" is defective.

Keep us posted on the outcome as there are a few Asus employees who do look in the forums from time to time.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

cota472
Level 7
Because I can't afford for my computer to be down while I wait, I went to the electronics store to purchase another motherboard. Looking at my options, the only brand that has more than one 4-pin fan is ASUS. I was really wanting to buy another brand, but I ended up buying another CV5Z and installing it. I am now questioning my other hardware, because this new mobo is now showing the same issues my original mobo had. It is freezing on the splash screen, if I can get it to boot to BIOS, it may freeze in BIOS. It will boot every couple tries though.

I ran the MEMTEST86x overnight and it ran through twice with no errors, I tested with both sticks installed, I will try again 1 at a time.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Well if the system is freezing in the BIOS (I will assume that NOTHING else is attached to the m/b except for the keyboard and mouse) that your problems are as follows:

1) Ram
2) CPU
3) PSU

Could you post full system specs ASAP?

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

cota472
Level 7
When I have been testing it, it has just been SSD, RAM, CPU, Video card and PSU. external devices are just monitor and keyboard and mouse.

The RAM used to give a profile that had the timing and clock speed in the BIOS, I no longer see this.

I blamed the BIOS because this is what changed when all of my issues started.

Cpu: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-core
Psu: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White
Memory: 16GB GSKILL ARES DDR3 2400(O.C.) 2x8GB (currently running at the stock 1333)
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M
Gpu: MSI GTX 760 OC 4GB
Hard Drive: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M60
Keyboard: SteelSeries Merc Stealth