cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freesync a VESA Standard

Antronman
Level 10
http://videocardz.com/50500/vesa-announces-displayport-1-2a-adaptive-sync-technology

VESA has approved the specification of the new DisplayPort 1.2(a), which is adding the support for G-Sync or FreeSync like technology.

AMD took a major part in development of this open standard. There are few AMD cards, which already support this technology, but unfortunately you won’t find a single monitor which is DisplayPort 1.2a compatible. In these terms G-Sync has no competitor. You can already buy G-Sync compatible monitors and it looks like it might take 6 to 12 months till we see first Adaptive-Sync monitors.

The good news is that sooner or later every major display manufacturer will adopt this technology, and in the end, G-Sync might end up obsolete.

There’s a very interesting FAQ later in this post, make sure to check it.

I called it.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me
17 REPLIES 17

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Interesting...and cool! Bring it on...is DP1.2a the same as DP1.3 ?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Interesting...and cool! Bring it on...is DP1.2a the same as DP1.3 ?

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2014/04/11/amds-freesync-ratified-by-vesa/

Quote:

That announcement will precede an even bigger one, in the announcement of DisplayPort 1.3. For those unfamiliar with DisplayPort 1.3, we wrote a pretty lengthy exclusive article back in December detailing all of the aspects of DisplayPort 1.3, however, once FreeSync gets integrated into 1.2a, that feature will also be added to 1.3 by default. I suspect that because of FreeSync, there may be a possibility that we could see DisplayPort 1.3 gaining faster adoption as a result of the fact that a generally lower refresh rate will allow for less power drawn by the display. In fact, one of the best applications for FreeSync in DisplayPort 1.2a and later standards will be the fact that monitors will spend less time refreshing and as a result drawing less power. Not to mention the overall experiential improvements. Additionally, it may be easier to implement things like 8K video over DisplayPort 1.3 if we know that initial testing can be done at lower refresh rates than 60 Hz. Hopefully they’ve resolved the cable bandwidth issue with DisplayPort 1.3, and if we find out anything new about FreeSync or DisplayPort 1.3, we’ll be sure to report it to you as soon as possible.

The expectation is that DisplayPort 1.3 will be announced sometime in late Q2 or early Q3, which leaves DisplayPort 1.2 to come anywhere between that time and now.

Antronman
Level 10
Yeah.

Nvidia won't have a choice but to adopt freesync.

Again, I called it way back when G-Sync was announced. AMD proved you didn't need a beefy piece of 200USD hardware plugged into a monitor to get variable refresh rates, and I knew they weren't going to let Nvidia have this one.

Antronman wrote:
Yeah.

Nvidia won't have a choice but to adopt freesync.

Again, I called it way back when G-Sync was announced. AMD proved you didn't need a beefy piece of 200USD hardware plugged into a monitor to get variable refresh rates, and I knew they weren't going to let Nvidia have this one.
Let me know when "free sync" actually gets implemented. 😉 Aint gonna happen anytime soon, that's just AMD's way of trying to keep people from jumping ship to a superior display integration. I was one of the first to get the G sync DIY kits for my 248QE Asus 144hz monitors back in January, and I will never go back. "Free sync" wont be around or implemented for YEARS. "specification approval" and real world implementation are 2 different things. SO enjoy TALKING about what may come to market way down the road while I actually enjoy the benefits RIGHT NOW. $200($400 for me, I got 2 of em) was a dirt cheap price to pay for the ultimate visual experience that can be had right now.

Antronman
Level 10
I saw an older article highlighting AMD's demo on anadtech before.

G-Sync is dead before it even launches, and anybody who is denying it is a fool.

Oh sure, there will be dedicated Nvidia users screaming about how much "better" the G-Sync performance is (when it most likely won't be much better) and shelling out to get G-Sync.

But honestly, all I need is PhysX on AMD and I'll be good to go.

Sorry, but being able to test everything in Unreal Engine 4 is important to me.

Antronman wrote:
I saw an older article highlighting AMD's demo on anadtech before.

G-Sync is dead before it even launches, and anybody who is denying it is a fool.

Oh sure, there will be dedicated Nvidia users screaming about how much "better" the G-Sync performance is (when it most likely won't be much better) and shelling out to get G-Sync.

But honestly, all I need is PhysX on AMD and I'll be good to go.

Sorry, but being able to test everything in Unreal Engine 4 is important to me.
You have no idea what your talking about. Your just playing the "deny" game because your stuck on what I consider to be a substandard platform. WHen you actually sit down on a PC featuring a pair of 780 ti's in SLI on a Gsync monitor, then come back and post here, what you will post will be a lot different than what your stating from opinion, not hands on experience.

My Gsync monitor/780 ti SLI combo is the FIRST LCD panel I have EVER SEEN that gives true CRT performance and feel. That in itself is serious praise because I have always hated LCD tech. I get 0 stutter, 0 tearing, no input lag, no ghosting or blur. Depth of field is incredible. WHen games drop into the 30-40fps range it still looks like Im above 60fps..........its an awesome system that you cannot fully appreciate till you sit down with it and use it. Ive had my setup for nearly 5 months now, and Gsync is everything its hyped to be and then some.

ZippyPinhead wrote:
You have no idea what your talking about. Your just playing the "deny" game because your stuck on what I consider to be a substandard platform. WHen you actually sit down on a PC featuring a pair of 780 ti's in SLI on a Gsync monitor, then come back and post here, what you will post will be a lot different than what your stating from opinion, not hands on experience.

My Gsync monitor/780 ti SLI combo is the FIRST LCD panel I have EVER SEEN that gives true CRT performance and feel. That in itself is serious praise because I have always hated LCD tech. I get 0 stutter, 0 tearing, no input lag, no ghosting or blur. Depth of field is incredible. WHen games drop into the 30-40fps range it still looks like Im above 60fps..........its an awesome system that you cannot fully appreciate till you sit down with it and use it. Ive had my setup for nearly 5 months now, and Gsync is everything its hyped to be and then some.

When display port 1.2a comes out, and 1.3 (which is planned for later this year/early winter 2015), you will have spent hundreds of additional dollars on a piece of technology that isn't even relevant anymore. I'm not playing the denying game. While G-Sync isn't bad, once freesync is available it will be irrelevant.

"Substandard platform". Who said I was running AMD cards? All I ever said was that G-Sync would become irrelevant, and I was right.

Come back when you're ready to argue.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm that Anandtech article shows laptops for freesunc and monitor for Gsync and then I find this

http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo

Which seems to explain that....or does it or WTF.

Zippy, good to hear GSync works well! It's certainly stolen the march...

wait and see i guess on where this is headed...all I know is that competition is good...brings price down and speeds up development....all I want is a 4K IPS with 5ms response time, full adobe RGB covered and "X"Sync for 800euros.....bring it on!