cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Killer Network Manager: Virus or Game ???

Megabrein
Level 7
Hi there,

I am desparate. After passing the windows 8 install on my new G750JH I have an application on the desktop that seems to scan my appications and internet connections. I requests to do a speed test for my provider.

This program that only can be stopped using the task manager is called: Killer Network Manager. After killing this with the task manager it autostarts when I reboot.

According to Asus support it is a game. I think its a virus. Because the application is not in the list of uninstallable software I have asked Asus support to log in remotely and remove it.

During this action, all network connections (ethernet and wifi) failed. Asus support instructed me to run the driver installer in the map "esupport" on the c: drive. After 3 re-boots windows was completely ****ed up. I could not even start internet explorer anymore. Next they instructed me to do a system reset and recover from the restore image and disconnected the call.

Now I am still stuck with this weird program.

Does anyone know what "killer network manager" is and how dangerous it is ?
A link to the appropiate virus killer would be nice too. I could not find anything myself.

Help me !

Egon.
9 REPLIES 9

theclaw37
Level 9
It's neither as far as i know. (Not a game nor a virus). It's the software that analyzes your traffic to prioritize gaming-related network activity. It's a feature of the Killer Wireless network gaming card.

Here's a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyjttfYy18w

themeonster
Level 7
Its part of the wireless card driver. And I actually find it rather helpful in determining which programs are using bandwidth as I have a pretty pathetic connection at home.

hmscott
Level 12
Megabrein wrote:
Hi there,
I am desparate. After passing the windows 8 install on my new G750JH I have an application on the desktop that seems to scan my appications and internet connections. I requests to do a speed test for my provider.

This program that only can be stopped using the task manager is called: Killer Network Manager. After killing this with the task manager it autostarts when I reboot.

Megabrein, it is a harmless app that is a cool feature of the Qualcomm package that supports the Killer 1202 Wireless card. I disable it in the TaskManager => Startup tab, along with disabling most startup stuff we don't need running all the time.

I haven't needed it's features, and I try to disable everything that I don't currently need - I don't need stuff running in the background I am not actively using.

As a suggestion in the future, try to remain calm and slowly think through these things before going off and repeating the same actions that aren't solving the problem until they cause another problem.

It isn't easy in the beginning, but think of these activities as making a difference in a real world setting. You wouldn't remove and replace the fuel injection in your car 3x and continue to wonder why the brakes are still not working 🙂

Asus can be very helpful, but they are sometimes too literal to their response scripts when they don't have enough info - since they are required to take action to assist the user - if you feel they are taking shots in the dark, ask to be escalated to an engineer.

And, always provide clearly thought out problem statements that they can understand clearly - English isn't their primary language - so it is even more important to clearly state the problem such that they understand the point of your request.

Welcome to the ROG G750 Forum 🙂

If you take the time to read through as many of the forum posts as you can early on, you will discover lots of cool things about your laptop, and how to optimize it, well before you think of the questions 🙂

;)Hi guys,

What a relief ! Thank you very much for you response.

I was really worried and did not dare to start using my new machine. Now I can start using it and enjoy this high performance notebook that is the successor of my G73.

Nice info hmscott. You sensed correctly that I am a bit in a negative mood and downwards spiral due to personal issues. Thanks for reminding me what a great machine I have purchased. Instead of frustration I now want to enjoy the full power of it and I will certainly use the forum to better understand how to use it at maximum performance.

Many thankx to you all !

Megabrein wrote:
...Nice info hmscott. You sensed correctly that I am a bit in a negative mood and downwards spiral due to personal issues. Thanks for reminding me what a great machine I have purchased. Instead of frustration I now want to enjoy the full power of it and I will certainly use the forum to better understand how to use it at maximum performance.

Megabrein, glad to hear you are back in perspective and happy. The G750 is a great machine. Perspective is your friend. 🙂

Symho
Level 7
Hi to all!

I have a problem with killer application, when I test my connection I save results and apply, but when I restart application the value of the test reset and the apply is off (it seems to be that I haven't do the test). Thanks in advance...
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

Hi Forum!

After upgrading to Windows 10, the wifi's driver are updated but Killer Network Manager dont working! How I can solving?

Hi Forum's community!

For any upgrades to your devices Killer go on this link:

http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads

Works fine on my G750JZ and adds new features too! Bye!

Korth
Level 14
If you're worried about it being a virus/malware then just install a decent free antivirus - Avast or AVG or Sophos are all good enough. If you'd bought Asus ROG you'd get Kaspersky for free, although of course Asus prefers the much better performance of embedded Intel LAN controllers over the much hyped perfo... (and anyone can confirm these differences firsthand, as reported on sites like this and this). The G750JH spec page doesn't state which Gigabit 802.11a/b/g/n NIC is installed but some configurations appear to use Intel hardware and some appear to use Killer-Bigfoot 1202 2.4GHz/5.0GHz Wireless-N Bluetooth hardware.

The Killer 1202 is actually a Qualcomm Atheros QCA2282 chip or QCABHB1202 module (custom-programmed at the Gigabyte/MSI/etc mobo factory).
The Killer E2200 is actually a Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 chip (custom-programmed at the Gigabyte/MSI/etc mobo factory).
The Killer app is nearly useless and can be problematic with firewalls. The entire Killer software suite can be uninstalled and a generic Qualcomm WHQL driver from Microsoft can be used instead (as detailed here and here). It will not be slower than the Killer driver (it might actually turn out to be a little faster without having to run the Killer software overhead), it has wider compatibility (and plays nice with Windows), and it has more aggressive support/updates.

(ROG GameFirst is a very similar app, and it's equally half-useless. Smart gamers will turn it off, remove it, or never install it.)

Your top-priority network packets (the game!) will indeed be prioritized with these apps - but all your other networking will suffer and the general cost on your system resources really isn't worth any minor gains (in the game!) you might see. It's much smarter to just turn off all the other junk you're uploading/downloading in the background, lol, only one car on the road means no traffic jams or collisions. Networks are highly hardware dependent, they can be optimized a lot better through hardware-layer or firmware-level stuff than by application-layer software running on top of an operating system - don't be fooled by the dubious claims these softwares make about improved performance.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]