Level 7
Hey there,

I recently build a new PC with the following components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
Mainboard:
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-1600
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB (SSD), Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB (HDD)
Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD-RW
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 480W
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl

It works all fine except for a little, yet annoying issue with the sound. Whenever a sound begins/ends (thus interrupts the silence) a bassy crackling can be heard. If there is no sound playing there is no background noise. It doesn't matter if it is a Windows sound or a starting song. During the time the sound plays the crackling can't be heard but when it stops it occurs again.

I already tried several different headphones & speakers all showing the same issue. Then I recorded my Stereomix (Listen here: http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/43107452/file.html) and listened to it on another machine (that itself doesn't have the crackling) and guess what: the crackling can be heard. I tried both available BIOS versions (0401 & 0508) plus both Realtek drivers (6.0.1.7227 & 6.0.1.7240) from the ASUS site in every of the four combinations. No difference. Also I have reinstalled Windows 7 x64, no improvement. I cleared the CMOS, resetted the UEFI BIOS and unplugged the front panel audio connector. Uninstalled my GFX card and used the iGPU. Nothing.

What still makes me think that this might be a software related problem is the fact that I don't have the same weird sounds when letting Windows detect the onboard sound itself. Without the ROG SupremeFX driver the audio is different but doesn't have the noise.

As of now I am pretty much clueless on how to fix this problem. If someone has an idea I'd be very thankful if you could share it.
3 REPLIES 3

richaxes
Level 7
Sadly, I'm having the same issue.
I managed to fix it by changing the input to AC97 from HD in the settings of the software.
Since then, I've added ROG Front Base and now I can't fix it anymore, the only thing that helps is uninstalling the drivers and letting Windows install its own.
Asus, WTF?

YouWhat
Level 9
Another failure in the Front Base area to add to the list with the AAFP cable, and that some units don't work too well with Z97 motherboards, yet others do.

Asus is really off their game with this, and with the lack of availability of the longer AAFP cable in europe, I am very disappointed in them.

pkaras11
Level 7
I am having a similar issue,

1. I have a microlab 2.0 stereo speaker setup that outputs great sound quality. with my M7G i noticed that there is static noise when there is no sound, a light hissing sound that only gets worse when speakers are set to 100% speaker volume, this is not normal for microlab. my previous rampage 2 extreme soundblaster audio card didnt have this behavior. the speakers dont hiss when jack is disconnected. this happens when pc boots, asus rog logo on windows 8.1 64b

2. when i login for the first time to windows, it seems to load the audio drivers and there is a very loud pop (maybe two close together that makes you jump of the chair if you dont expect it) and then the hissing sound goes away (20% audible but acceptable, unlike before boot.)

what sould i do? is this what you experience too? because i read others saying there is a pop sound present just before a sound is going to output. i installed latest bios, audio 7272 by asus but issue is still there. should i use intel default ?

also i RMA a frontbase because of partial functionality with M7G, such a great looking tool, broken code 😞

EDIT:
my stereo output run through the monitor and into the speakers, directly connecting the speakers to audio output resolved hissing and pop sound, i know its not what you are looking for but maybe driver was trying to read impedance of output and adjust it wrong somehow. noise went away on 100% audio volume too.