cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVG BSOD 124 With XMP Enabled

Button_Mash
Level 7
Whenever I enabled the XMP profile for my memory, my system will experience random blue screen crashes (BCCode 124). These crashes are difficult to reproduce as I am still able to run stress tests like Prime95 for over 12 hours and memory tests show no errors after a similar amount of time but I have never been able to go more than a week without a BSOD with XMP enabled. For comparison I turned XMP off and was able to go for 3 weeks without a BSOD before I started trying to enable the XMP profile again.

The RAM I am currently using is a Crucial kit specified to tested to run at 1866 9-9-9-27:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-ddr3/blt2kit8g3d1869dt1tx0

I have also previously tried 3 different sets of similar RAM from G.SKILL:

http://gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c9d-16gxm

I have already performed an RMA for both the motherboard and CPU with no improvement. My motherboard is a MAXIMUS V GENE (Revision 1.01) and I am using the latest BIOS (1903). My CPU is an Intel Core i7-3770K. My system has never been overclocked and temperatures look good. My bios settings are all at default except that I have XMP and virtualisation technology enabled. I am running Windows 8.1 64bit in native UEFI mode.

I was really hoping that all I had to do was enable XMP but I suspect that I need to change some bios settings in order to be stable. Unfortunately tech support from the memory and motherboard manufacturers has provided no useful information. I am currently testing with XMP and Maximus Tweak Mode 1 enabled to see if that helps. I would really appreciate some advice and help troubleshooting this problem if anyone has any ideas.
21 REPLIES 21

Nate152
Hello Button_Mash welcome to the ROG forum. Your 3770k should be able to handle 1866 X.M.P. no problem but seeing how it is giving you fits try raising the vccsa voltage to 1.15v. If that doesn't solve your problem I see you were able to go 3 weeks without a BSOD with your ram set up manually. If it is stable when you set it up manually you could just do it that way.

Have you set the vcore manually or do you have it on auto? if it is on auto you might want to set it manually. That could be the cause of the code 124 error as well. Try this first.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Since the code 0124 is about voltages and in this instance memory voltages are the suspected cause this is what I think is happening.

The XMP profile sets the VSCCA voltage automatically, that automatic preprogrammed value is too low for your CPU internal memory controller to handle. You will need to increase the VSCCA voltage in your bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Just to clarify, when I say I went for three weeks without a BSOD with XMP off, that was me running at motherboard defaults i.e. 1333 instead of 1866. I did test setting everything manually with the G.SKILL memory but the crashes still occurred.

I don't think the XMP profile is setting any other voltages other than the DRAM voltage automatically on this motherboard so that could very well be the issue. I did try setting the VCCIO value to the value in the XMP profile (1.25v) manually with the G.SKILL memory but this still was not stable. Should I be changing the VCCSA instead? Or should I change both? My motherboard has both settings and they are both on auto (VCCIO = 1.05v and VCCSA = 0.95). The setting in the Crucial XMP profile is even higher (1.3v) than the G.SKILL RAM. Is this safe or should I be aiming lower?

Do you think Maximus Tweak Mode 1 makes a difference in this scenario or is that more for timing issues than voltage issues?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Set your VCSSA to 1.1 and see how that goes. 1.200 if still not stable.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ok, I have set VCCSA to 1.1v and have left VCCIO on Auto (1.05v) and Maximus Tweak on Auto. I will see how I go over the next couple of weeks and report back.

Button_Mash
Level 7
Well, that didn't take long. BSOD with VCCSA at 1.1v. Bumped it up to 1.2v and trying again.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Will check back later mate. VCCIO can be increased to 1.100 too please.

I figured it was about time for an update...

I tried with VCCSA at 1.1v and VCCIO at 1.15v (these were the maximum voltages before hitting the yellow range). This still wasn't stable and I crashed after a day or two. Next up I went with both VCCSA and VCCIO at 1.2v. This appears to be stable as I have had no crashes for over two weeks.

I now want to work my way backwards to find the lowest stable voltages. Any advice on how I should proceed? Should I try to keep VCCSA and VCCIO matching as they are now or should I start adjusting one first and then the other one later?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Take small steps mate, VCSSA can be higher than VCCIO no worries there. Start with the VCCIO at defaults and focus on the SSA.