cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must Do's for making 4790K work with Maximus VI Motherboards

jb3451
Level 7
The ASUS instructions are vague at best so here are clear instructions.

1. While you have a NON Devil's Canyon Processor installed, Upgrade the Management Engine Software to Version V9.5.15.1730 located under the CHIPSET Drivers (do it twice to make sure all the bits are upgraded).

2. Go to Programs and Features in your control panel and make sure you verify that ME 1730 is installed.

3. Reboot

4. Download the MAXIMUS VI FORMULA BIOS 1505 and BIOS updater located under the BIOS drivers and unzip the package to a directory on your hard drive.

5. Go to that directory and drill down to the directory called V2.00.02

6. Double-click on the UPDATE executable and follow the instructions completely (choose and install 1505 BIOS).

7. Reboot

8. The computer will post that you have to press "F1" to enter the BIOS.

9. Press "F5" for Optimized Defaults then "F10" to save settings and Reboot.

10. In Windows Verify that you have 1505 BIOS installed then shutdown your computer.

11. Install your Devil's Canyon Chip

12. Boot and Enter the BIOS and Press "F5" for Optimized Defaults then "F10" to save settings and Reboot.

13. Boot your computer... Success !

14. Now you can proceed to overclock to your heart's content.

Cheers

Edit: See post #60 in this thread (linked below) for updating without a CPU using USB BIOS Flashback

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Mothe...
167 REPLIES 167

Praz
Level 13
Hello

I have done a couple of Z87 boards over the weekend. I didn't find it necessary to update the ME driver although doing the update is a valid option. It is best to right click on Update.exe and run as administrator. While swapping out the CPU place the Clear CMOS jumper in the clear position.

ruler501
Level 7
Is it possible to do if you don't have a non-Devils Canyon processor? My old one died and the store gave me a free upgrade so I'm trying to get my computer booting again with a 4790k.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

No it is not. The update needs to be done with a non-refresh, non-DC Haswell processor.

JeffD
Level 7
What a mess. Isn't this what USB BIOS flashback is made for?

ruler501
Level 7
So basically you can't use your motherboard if you upgrade processors before upgrading bios.

JeffD wrote:
What a mess. Isn't this what USB BIOS flashback is made for?

Yes. In the past, you can use that method to update the BIOS for newer CPUs. Unfortunately, this cannot be done with Devil's Canyon CPUs. You need a non Devil's Canyon CPU present to complete the update process.

ruler501 wrote:
So basically you can't use your motherboard if you upgrade processors before upgrading bios.

That is correct.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

There has always been a limitation as to which parts of the CMOS chip that can be updated with BIOS Flashback. If access to another CPU is not possible ask a local PC shop to either perform the update or flash the chip itself using a programmer. If using a programmer the data from 0x000 to 0x7FF must be removed from the BIOS file before flashing.

Praz wrote:
Hello

There has always been a limitation as to which parts of the CMOS chip that can be updated with BIOS Flashback. If access to another CPU is not possible ask a local PC shop to either perform the update or flash the chip itself using a programmer. If using a programmer the data from 0x000 to 0x7FF must be removed from the BIOS file before flashing.

How would I go about removing that data you specified?
EDIT-Change those lines to all zeroes right?

JeffD
Level 7
Nice i actually have a programmer. Just load 1505 to the bios chip manually then? Will work then?